Oxygen Channel sponsored poll: Weep for the future

Thomas Heald, Esquire

Mar 24, 2009, 5:44:22 PM3/24/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
NEARLY 25% OF WOMEN 18-34 WOULD RATHER WIN “AMERICA’S NEXT TOP MODEL”
THAN THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE BUT 75% WOULD SHAVE THEIR HEADS TO SAVE A
STRANGER

March 24, 2009 by J!-ENT

Oxygen Poll Reveals Young Women’s Conflict Between Inner And Outer Beauty

New York, NY – March 24, 2009 – Oxygen Media today released a study,
conducted by TNS, into the minds of women (18-34) and their personal
relationship to outer beauty versus inner beauty. Overall the study,
which interviewed more than 2,000 adults, paints a surprisingly complex
portrait of today’s women who sometimes walk a fine line of vanity and
morality. The poll covers five key themes in women’s lives – appearance,
fame & fortune, friendships, relationships and current events/finance.

Surprisingly nearly 25% of women would rather win “America’s Next Top
Model” than the Nobel Peace Prize. However, putting physical appearance
aside, 75% of women said that they would be willing to shave their heads
to save the life of a stranger. Body consciousness is still important
with nearly 25% of women saying they’d rather be thin than smart.

“This survey proves an interesting dissection of today’s woman and how
she relates her personal image with what she values in her life,” said
Dr. Jenn Berman, psychotherapist and ‘Pretty Wicked’ judge. “And as
shown in several results women today are a complex combination of
altruistic and materialistic, vain and insecure, loyal and self-serving.
This survey highlights the dichotomy in all of us.”

And while tech savvy women live and die by their PDAs, an astonishing
number — 88% of young women 18-34 — would give up their cell phone,
jewelry and makeup to keep a friendship. Although loyal to their friends
to the point where they’d give up their most prized possessions, there’s
still 26% of women 18-34 who would make their best friend fat for life,
if it meant they could be thin.

Survey results include:

Appearance
More than half (54%) of W18-24 consider themselves physically attractive

22% of W18-24 who consider themselves attractive would rather lose the
ability to read than lose their figure.

91% of W18-34 would rather live a long life and lose their looks than
die young and beautiful

Fame & Fortune:
39% of W18-34 have used their looks to get something they want

41% of W18-34 would be okay knowing they were chosen for a job on looks
alone

50% W18-24 would marry an ugly man if he were a multimillionaire

Friendships:
60% of W18-24 have lied to their best friend

78% of W18-34 would choose to have lots of friends over beauty

95% of W18-34 would NOT leave their friend behind if she couldn’t get
into a hot club

Relationships:
78% of W18-24 think Cybersex is cheating, while 80% of W18-34 think it’s
cheating

42% W18-24 have lied to their spouse or partner, while the number
increases to 53% of W18-34 have lied to their spouse or partner
o Over 90% of W18-34 value a good heart/intelligence over good looks in
a partner

60% of W18-24 who consider themselves attractive prefer their partner to
have money over good looks

54% of W18-24 who consider themselves less attractive prefer their
partner to have good looks over money

73% of W18-24 who consider their looks to be average or below average
think they are the catch in their relationship because people tell them
they can do better than their partner

Only 39% of W18-24 who consider themselves to be attractive think they
are the catch in their relationship because people tell them they can do
better than their partner

Current Events/Finance
37% of W18-24 who consider themselves attractive spends less than 15
minutes watching/reading the news, but 70% of them spend 15 minutes or
more grooming/dressing themselves

66% of W18-24 values their hairstylists over their tax accountant, while
the number grows to 70% of W 18-34 who say their hairstylist is more
important

Kevin M.

Mar 25, 2009, 12:38:11 AM3/25/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
> New York, NY – March 24, 2009 – Oxygen Media today released a study,
> conducted by TNS, into the minds of women (18-34) and their personal
> relationship to outer beauty versus inner beauty. Overall the study,
> which interviewed more than 2,000 adults

One would hope, of the 2,000 adults, all of them were women

> Surprisingly nearly 25% of women would rather win “America’s Next Top
> Model” than the Nobel Peace Prize. However, putting physical appearance
> aside, 75% of women said that they would be willing to shave their heads
> to save the life of a stranger. Body consciousness is still important
> with nearly 25% of women saying they’d rather be thin than smart.

For those three, the results indicate 1 in 4 opting for vanity

> women today are a complex combination of
> altruistic and materialistic, vain and insecure, loyal and self-serving.
> This survey highlights the dichotomy in all of us.”

No it doesn't. One in four seem to be very single-minded and
consistent in their preference for exterior beauty.

> there’s still 26% of women 18-34 who would make their best friend fat for life,
> if it meant they could be thin.

See?

> 22% of W18-24 who consider themselves attractive would rather lose the
> ability to read than lose their figure.

QED

> 91% of W18-34 would rather live a long life and lose their looks than
> die young and beautiful

unless they could make their best friend fat, that is

> Fame & Fortune:
> 39% of W18-34 have used their looks to get something they want

I believe that number to be low. Very low. Frankly, I don't think
women are even conscious of how often they use their looks. I'd say,
conservatively, 95% of them.

> Friendships:
> 60% of W18-24 have lied to their best friend

Even I know that is a bullsh*t statistic. To quote Dr. House, "everybody lies."
--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

K.M. Richards

Mar 25, 2009, 7:02:45 AM3/25/09
to TVorNotTV
Kevin M. wrote:

> > Friendships:
> > 60% of W18-24 have lied to their best friend
>
> Even I know that is a bullsh*t statistic. To quote Dr. House, "everybody lies."

Perhaps the missing question was "% of those who have lied to a poll
taker."

Thomas Heald, Esquire

Mar 25, 2009, 2:48:57 PM3/25/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

>> Surprisingly nearly 25% of women would rather win “America’s Next Top
>> Model” than the Nobel Peace Prize.

I would hope the other 75% knew that the Nobel Peace Prize comes with a
$1.2 million dollar check as opposed to the $100,000 modeling contract
and B-level ads (and commercials only during Top Model) with CoverGirl
since Ellen DeGeneres is the Top Model for that account.

Kevin M.

Mar 25, 2009, 3:40:12 PM3/25/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

I thought Henry Kissinger was a delightful covergirl in the mid-'70s.

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

Pollak, Melissa F.

Mar 25, 2009, 5:10:07 PM3/25/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
HA!

And I've been meaning to commend Cover Girl for choosing not only a
non-20-something but also a never-been professional model.