Cold Case on ice

Bob in Jersey

Oct 18, 2009, 8:09:16 PM10/18/09
to TVorNotTV
They were still playing football at 7:57pm east, so Dick Enberg, doing
the Bills @ Jets game with Dan Fouts, said the CBS lineup would be
pushed back an hour. Lilly and her lot get ppd. to next week (where
here in her native Philly, they'll be at their regular time)

--
BOB

Ed Dravecky

Oct 18, 2009, 9:09:27 PM10/18/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

Be advised: football wrapped up 75 minutes late at 8:15pm Eastern so
if you only pad your TAR recording by an hour (as I usually do) you'll
miss the last 15 minutes.

--
Ed Dravecky III
http://www.fencon.org/

Ben Scripps

Oct 18, 2009, 10:33:22 PM10/18/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Ed Dravecky <drav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Be advised: football wrapped up 75 minutes late at 8:15pm Eastern so
> if you only pad your TAR recording by an hour (as I usually do) you'll
> miss the last 15 minutes.

And if your DVR's hard drive goes belly-up in the middle of TAR
tonight, as mine did, you'll miss the whole damn thing...

Ben Scripps
bensc...@gmail.com

JW

Oct 19, 2009, 4:43:19 AM10/19/09
to tvornottv
> Be advised: football wrapped up 75 minutes late at 8:15pm Eastern so
> if you only pad your TAR recording by an hour (as I usually do) you'll
> miss the last 15 minutes.

Really obscure question (all times eastern) - when the network without
the doubleheader switches to the end of a second 1:00 game ("bonus
coverage"), they have to drop it at 4:15 so the doubleheader network
has exclusivity. If bonus coverage of a 4:15 game ran past 8:20, would
the network have to drop it so NBC can be exclusive?

Adam Bowie

Oct 19, 2009, 4:56:09 AM10/19/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

I can understand that the non-doubleheader network drops out of bonus
coverage of the second game, but surely those who'd been watching that
second game from the start get to see the end. Pulling out of a sports
fixture that you've just invested over four hours in watching would be
awful...

(Here in the UK we'd previously been given a choice of two games of
both the 1.00pm and 4.00pm fixtures. That's stopped this season, as
has coverage of the Monday night game. All to the consternation of
lots of NFL fans who'll otherwise be at Wembley Stadium next weekend).

Adam

Jim Ellwanger

Oct 19, 2009, 10:35:35 AM10/19/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
JW wrote:

> Really obscure question (all times eastern) - when the network without
> the doubleheader switches to the end of a second 1:00 game ("bonus
> coverage"), they have to drop it at 4:15 so the doubleheader network
> has exclusivity. If bonus coverage of a 4:15 game ran past 8:20, would
> the network have to drop it so NBC can be exclusive?

"Bonus coverage" would only apply to 4:05 games, i.e., late games on the
network that doesn't have the doubleheader.

However, I don't believe this would come up, because I don't think either
CBS or Fox normally offers "bonus coverage" in the situation where they
have more than one late game in a non-doubleheader week -- once a game
ends, CBS will switch that audience to "60 Minutes" if it's after 7:00,
and Fox will switch to their postgame show, or whatever animated show is
being rerun at 7:30, or "The Simpsons" at 8:00.

And, of course, it would be an incredibly unusual event to have two 4:05
games still under way at 8:20 anyway.

--
Jim Ellwanger <trai...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv>

Joe Hass

Oct 19, 2009, 11:07:07 AM10/19/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
It's not a question of what to do if you have two games running long.
It's what to do in case a game people were switched runs into the
exclusive slot of NBC at 8:15 or 8:20. Since I can't find the time of
game stat in my quick search online, I would have to assume that it
falls under the same rule: those who started the game get the ended,
everyone else gets bumped.

I have seen (in the past) a late-game switch over.

David Lynch

Oct 19, 2009, 11:45:48 AM10/19/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:07, Joe Hass <hassg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have seen (in the past) a late-game switch over.

I've seen post-game switches and going from the final of the late game
to the studio for a few minutes when all of the other games were out
of reach and close to being done. Circa 2003, when I was living in an
area that got two CBS affiliates which would often show different NFL
games, the prime-time lineup was always in sync even when different
games were listed. I always assumed that it was a result of having the
ability to air different live events in different markets, but not the
ability to have a pre-recorded show playing back at different points
in different areas.

I don't remember it happening as much in the last couple seasons.
Whether that's because the Sunday night game has moved from cable to
broadcast or because digital video and automation have made it
possible for CBS to go air multiple east-coast feeds of prime time, I
don't know.

--
David J. Lynch
djl...@gmail.com

JW

Oct 20, 2009, 4:06:10 AM10/20/09
to tvornottv
[Responding to multiple posts]

> I can understand that the non-doubleheader network drops out of bonus
> coverage of the second game, but surely those who'd been watching that
> second game from the start get to see the end. Pulling out of a sports
> fixture that you've just invested over four hours in watching would be
> awful...

NBC famously pulled out of a game in 1968 (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Game ), and networks have stayed
with games to their conclusion since.

> "Bonus coverage" would only apply to 4:05 games, i.e., late games on the
> network that doesn't have the doubleheader.

No. When the Pats-Titans primary national game ended Sunday, CBS
switched to the end of Jets-Bills, which ran until 8:15. Had it gone
another ten minutes...

> I've seen post-game switches and going from the final of the late game
> to the studio for a few minutes when all of the other games were out
> of reach and close to being done. Circa 2003, when I was living in an
> area that got two CBS affiliates which would often show different NFL
> games, the prime-time lineup was always in sync even when different
> games were listed. I always assumed that it was a result of having the
> ability to air different live events in different markets, but not the
> ability to have a pre-recorded show playing back at different points
> in different areas.

In the '70s, on weeks where CBS' single game was early, I'd turn on my
affiliate at 7:00 to see 60 Minutes, and they'd join the end of their
late national game. I always assumed that was so they could keep the
network together, and that technology has since made that unnecessary.

Jim Ellwanger

Oct 20, 2009, 9:55:17 AM10/20/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 20, 2009, at 1:06 AM, JW wrote:

>> "Bonus coverage" would only apply to 4:05 games, i.e., late games
>> on the
>> network that doesn't have the doubleheader.
>
> No. When the Pats-Titans primary national game ended Sunday, CBS
> switched to the end of Jets-Bills, which ran until 8:15. Had it gone
> another ten minutes...

Please reread my quote. CBS had the doubleheader this week. It
wasn't "bonus coverage" when CBS switched everyone from Pats-Titans to
Jets-Bills.

> In the '70s, on weeks where CBS' single game was early, I'd turn on my
> affiliate at 7:00 to see 60 Minutes, and they'd join the end of their
> late national game.

If it was a singleheader week, then it wasn't a "national game."

Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, but in the '80s, I only remember
seeing CBS switch FROM local programming TO football (as opposed to
"60 Minutes") at 7:00 when...

1. It was a doubleheader week for CBS.
2. My local CBS affiliate wasn't showing a game at 4:00. I was in
Tampa, so this happened in CBS doubleheader weeks when the Bucs played
a 1:00 home game against an NFC opponent.

Bob in Jersey

Oct 20, 2009, 11:26:15 AM10/20/09
to TVorNotTV

Jim Ellwanger, to JW, in part:
> Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, but in the '80s, I only remember
> seeing CBS switch FROM local programming TO football (as opposed to
> "60 Minutes") at 7:00 when...
>
> 1. It was a doubleheader week for CBS.
> 2. My local CBS affiliate wasn't showing a game at 4:00.  I was in
> Tampa, so this happened in CBS doubleheader weeks when the Bucs played
> a 1:00 home game against an NFC opponent.

That, AFAIK, is still the case. I just don't get to experience it
locally as CBS3 Philly in many weeks has to do a late game in
deference to the Eagles being in a 1:00 game, DH week or not.

And in answer to an earlier question, I checked at another board
devoted to the NFL on the telly, and apparently there is no
requirement that non-participating-team markets have to dump out of a
late Fox or CBS game in deference to NBC. That won't be the case here
next week...

--
BOB

Mark J.

Oct 20, 2009, 6:23:12 PM10/20/09
to TVorNotTV

On Oct 20, 3:06 am, JW <redbu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the '70s, on weeks where CBS' single game was early, I'd turn on my
> affiliate at 7:00 to see 60 Minutes, and they'd join the end of their
> late national game. I always assumed that was so they could keep the
> network together, and that technology has since made that unnecessary.

And until "60 Minutes" became the number one show on television
(thanks to NFL lead-ins and the nets getting 7 p.m. on Sunday back
with the understanding that programming had to be children's, news or
pubaffairs), if there was an overrun, Hewitt would cut segments so
that "60" would end right at 7:58:30 no matter what. When too many
viewers complained, they started delaying the entire schedule on NFL
overruns--although on this past Sunday night, Andy Rooney and the
letters (if they still do the letters) got cut to compensate for the
long overrun.

And I'm assuming that the general rule is that a reporter whose story
is not on that week is the one who's in the studio live each week in
case breaking news happens or they need to adjust an overrun.

JW

Oct 21, 2009, 3:58:20 AM10/21/09
to tvornottv
>>> "Bonus coverage" would only apply to 4:05 games, i.e., late games
>>> on the
>>> network that doesn't have the doubleheader.
>>
>> No. When the Pats-Titans primary national game ended Sunday, CBS
>> switched to the end of Jets-Bills, which ran until 8:15. Had it gone
>> another ten minutes...
>
> Please reread my quote.  CBS had the doubleheader this week.  It
> wasn't "bonus coverage" when CBS switched everyone from Pats-Titans to
> Jets-Bills.

Maybe we're disagreeing on the definition of "bonus coverage"; I'm
using it to mean a game that the network switches to after the
original game is over (with James Brown saying "And now here's bonus
coverage of the Jets and Bills"). For whatever reason, CBS stayed with
the Pats-Titans game all the way to the end, then switched to New York
and Buffalo.

>> In the '70s, on weeks where CBS' single game was early, I'd turn on my
>> affiliate at 7:00 to see 60 Minutes, and they'd join the end of their
>> late national game.
>

> If it was a singleheader week, then it wasn't a "national game."

If Summerall and Brookshier were calling Rams-Cowboys, it probably was.

Jim Ellwanger

Oct 21, 2009, 9:52:40 AM10/21/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 21, 2009, at 12:58 AM, JW wrote:

>> CBS had the doubleheader this week. It wasn't "bonus coverage"
>> when CBS switched everyone from Pats-Titans to Jets-Bills.
>
> Maybe we're disagreeing on the definition of "bonus coverage"; I'm
> using it to mean a game that the network switches to after the
> original game is over (with James Brown saying "And now here's bonus
> coverage of the Jets and Bills"). For whatever reason, CBS stayed with
> the Pats-Titans game all the way to the end, then switched to New York
> and Buffalo.

True "bonus coverage" is when, following the conclusion of a game, the
network switches its audience to another game although they may be
required to cut off the game for that audience at some point (usually
at 4:15) for contractual reasons -- which happens when that network is
the singleheader network that week. Hence the specific use of the
word "bonus." Sometimes they'll switch to a postgame show instead.

As far as I know, because the network won't have to cut off the game
for anyone, it doesn't count as "bonus coverage" when what began as
the second game of a doubleheader concludes and that audience is taken
to a different second game which is still under way. I don't remember
having heard the phrase "bonus coverage" used in that situation in the
past -- however, I have to admit that it's been a while since I've
actually seen such a switch take place. I've had Sunday Ticket on
DirecTV for a few years now, so I've usually made the switch before
the network gets around to doing it.