Genshi will be abandoned and become obsolete

Felix Schwarz

Apr 15, 2010, 11:08:06 AM4/15/10
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com, turbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I guess there are a couple of Genshi users here so this might be useful
to some of you: Genshi development basically came to a halt some months
ago. As the lead developer (Christopher Lenz) moved on to other
projects, de facto no-one is maintaining the whole thing.

There is at least one regression which proved really hard to debug (1).
After the upcoming Genshi 0.6 release, Genshi will be basically
unmaintained (2). trac will switch to Jinja2 as default templating
language in 0.13.

So if you're using Genshi, this might be the time when you need to step
up and contribute to this open source project.

fs

[1] http://genshi.edgewall.org/ticket/370
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/trac-dev/msg/66617c681c24504a

Timuçin Kızılay

Apr 15, 2010, 11:13:33 AM4/15/10
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I'm new to turbogears and started to learn and build project with it.
The tg documentation and examples are using genshi as template. Should I
continue to learn genshi or, is tg going to change the default
template library?

I'm really confused now.

Felix Schwarz yazmış:

Christopher Arndt

Apr 15, 2010, 11:30:44 AM4/15/10
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Felix Schwarz schrieb:

> After the upcoming Genshi 0.6 release, Genshi will be basically
> unmaintained (2). trac will switch to Jinja2 as default templating
> language in 0.13.

OMG, another zombie in the TG stack :(

> So if you're using Genshi, this might be the time when you need to step
> up and contribute to this open source project.

I *really* hope that someone steps up. I like Genshi very much.

Chris

Glauco Uri

Apr 15, 2010, 11:46:00 AM4/15/10
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Felix Schwarz ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> I guess there are a couple of Genshi users here so this might be
> useful to some of you: Genshi development basically came to a halt
> some months ago. As the lead developer (Christopher Lenz) moved on to
> other projects, de facto no-one is maintaining the whole thing.
>
> There is at least one regression which proved really hard to debug
> (1). After the upcoming Genshi 0.6 release, Genshi will be basically
> unmaintained (2). trac will switch to Jinja2 as default templating
> language in 0.13.
>
> So if you're using Genshi, this might be the time when you need to
> step up and contribute to this open source project.
>
> fs
O _ O

This is a terrible notice, i've in these days finished to switch from
Kid to Genshi Two big project.
about 50 template and 15 of widgets ( some of this are very intricated
widgets)

Gla
--

Glauco Uri

Prometeia SpA

Diez B. Roggisch

Apr 15, 2010, 12:15:30 PM4/15/10
to turbo...@googlegroups.com

This illustrates once again one of the major issues of TG - bundling "best of
breed" packages is all good and fine functionality wise, but the maintenance,
documentation and lifecycle issues are problematic - to say the least. It's
hard enough for TG itself, the whole issue is multiplied by the number of 3rd
party packages.

*sigh*

My only problem is that what I've seen from django so far didn't convince me
to undertake the gargantuan task of switching to it, especially at work.

Diez

Christophe de VIENNE

Apr 15, 2010, 12:25:16 PM4/15/10
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't chameleon.genshi be a potential replacement ?

Christoph Zwerschke

Apr 15, 2010, 1:15:27 PM4/15/10
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Am 15.04.2010 17:30 schrieb Christopher Arndt:
> OMG, another zombie in the TG stack :(

Actually two more zombies, since Babel is also affected :((

-- Christoph

Felix Schwarz

Apr 15, 2010, 3:40:32 PM4/15/10
to turbo...@googlegroups.com

I think Babel will live as it provides functionality that is crucial and
useful to so many projects.

My main gripe with Genshi is that Christopher Lenz is too smart for me:
It's extremly complex, much like writing your own compiler. Therefore I
was only able to fix one of our problems while I failed to fix the
currently open one...

However there's only so many projects I can maintain at the same time so
I guess Genshi works well enough for me that I don't have to care about
maintenance (as long as this one bug #370+follow-ups will be fixed)...

fs

Mark Ramm

Apr 15, 2010, 7:10:57 PM4/15/10
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a lot of freaking out over a little bit of news,
however important it may be. TurboGears core developers have access
to genshi, and I am very confident that people will step up to
maintain it. And, Christopher Lenz is not saying that he won't do
*anything* to support genshi, just that it's not a high priority for
him right now. So, we have time to come up with a plan, and we don't
*have* to give up on supporting genshi.

Beyond that, we can and I'm sure *will* restore our effort to make
chamelion.genshi a part of the core, and provide an API compatible way
to migrate away from genshi to chamelion.genshi. There's very little
reason that this hasn't happened yet, except that nobody has spent the
little bit of time nessisary to make it happen.

--Mark Ramm
> --

Mark Ramm-Christensen
email: mark at compoundthinking dot com
blog: www.compoundthinking.com/blog

Sergei Beilin

Apr 19, 2010, 5:43:35 AM4/19/10
to TurboGears
Hi Felix!

On 15 апр, 19:08, Felix Schwarz <felix.schw...@web.de> wrote:
> I guess there are a couple of Genshi users here so this might be useful
> to some of you: Genshi development basically came to a halt some months
> ago. As the lead developer (Christopher Lenz) moved on to other
> projects, de facto no-one is maintaining the whole thing.

Sad news, as there are some other cool projects that rely on Genshi,
and first of all -- Relatorio, a great OpenDocument templating engine
based on Genshi AFAIK.

--
Sergei

Christoph Zwerschke

Apr 22, 2010, 2:44:20 PM4/22/10
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Am 15.04.2010 17:08 schrieb Felix Schwarz:
> I guess there are a couple of Genshi users here so this might be useful
> to some of you: Genshi development basically came to a halt some months
> ago. As the lead developer (Christopher Lenz) moved on to other
> projects, de facto no-one is maintaining the whole thing.

Luckily, it seems Chris changed his mind - he just announced he feels
motivated enough to continue working on Genshi. Good news for all
TurboGears and Trac users.

-- Christoph

Michael Brickenstein

Apr 23, 2010, 5:33:35 AM4/23/10
to TurboGears
Hi Sergei!
I did not not know Relatario and it looks ultra cool.
Do you think, that it still makes sense using it with the current
Genshi situation?
Cheers,
Michael