Attention DreamHost customers

Kevin Dangoor

Mar 17, 2006, 8:42:42 AM3/17/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I had an email exchange with the friendly folks at DreamHost (no
sarcasm there, I got quick and useful responses). The person I was
corresponding with was recommending that I *not* run TurboGears at
DreamHost. He said that they had to come up with some special config
for Rails, because it was really beating up on their machines. He (not
being one of their admins) wasn't certain what they had done for
Rails. Odds are good that whatever technique they used there would
apply to TG as well.

DreamHost has offers an exceptionally good value for the money and,
from what I've seen, they even provide some speedy support for such an
inexpensive service. The person I emailed with suggested that a user
uprising asking for good support of Python frameworks would help.

So, if you're a DreamHost customer trying to run TurboGears, you might
want to let them know. From the conversation I had, this also applies
to Django.

Kevin

--
Kevin Dangoor
Author of the Zesty News RSS newsreader

email: k...@blazingthings.com
company: http://www.BlazingThings.com
blog: http://www.BlueSkyOnMars.com

just...@ntlworld.com

Mar 17, 2006, 9:07:00 AM3/17/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com

You don't mention mention why they recommended *not* to run TurboGears on their machines. Was it just because this guy knew their admins had tweaked for RoR? If so, it looks a bit like FUD.

Guess this only applies to their shared hosting too - not their dedicated servers.

Justin

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software

Jeremy Jones

Mar 17, 2006, 9:33:14 AM3/17/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:07:00 +0000
<just...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> You don't mention mention why they recommended *not* to run
> TurboGears on their machines. Was it just because this guy knew
> their admins had tweaked for RoR? If so, it looks a bit like FUD.
>
> Guess this only applies to their shared hosting too - not their
> dedicated servers.
>
> Justin

I'm not so sure about the FUD thing. Running TurboGears and Django at
Dreamhost has been a headache. I keep thinking it has to be how they
have FastCGI configured, but I really don't know. I keep seeing folks
complaining about Dreamhost funkiness on the Django list and I'm pretty
sure I see fairly regular complaints here, as well. Better support
would be good. I'm going to have to drop them a line and see what's
up. Thanks for the heads up, Kevin.

- jmj

Steven Kryskalla

Mar 17, 2006, 11:55:56 AM3/17/06
to TurboGears
I sent this little message using their control panel ("Contact Support"
with the "Miscellaneous - Suggestion" category). Feel free to copy
mine if you have a hard time coming up with something to write :) I
expect you'll get a better response if you send a message using the
'Contact Support', which creates a ticket for them to look at.

Steve

> Hello,
>
> I saw this message on the TurboGears mailing list about improving
> support for TurboGears (a popular Python web framework) at DreamHost.
> Kevin (the creator of TurboGears) suggested that DreamHost customers
> should send a little note asking about TG support. Do you have any
> plans to better support Python web frameworks (TurboGears and Django
> to be specific) in the same way that you support Rails?
>
> I have TG running on one of my domains just as a test, but in the
> future I plan on hosting many of my TurboGears apps here. My services
> ends in April and I like Dreamhost very much, so having better TG
> support is important to me!
>
> thank you,
> Steven Kryskalla

Jorge Vargas

Mar 19, 2006, 10:39:42 PM3/19/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
good to know I almost sign with them j/k real post below

I hope this is a new issue because a while ago went 0.8 was still hot  i think, I email back and for with one of their reps. and he said they didn't had any problems with TG. I even ask if 0.9 was a problem and he said  that all i had to do was download the eggs

S Potter

Mar 23, 2006, 3:42:51 PM3/23/06
to TurboGears
I am not a DreamHost customer yet, but am considering it if this issue
gets resolved (and they upgrade to 0.9x). Can DreamHost customers
using TG email the group to inform us on the status of TG issues with
DH?

Slightly off-topic...
For those interested in DH and wanting to save some money, I saw the
following promo codes on a deal site to use to sign up to DreamHost to
get money off:
http://www.watchmydeals.com/content/view/86/31/

As I said I have not yet signed up for a DH account so I cannot say if
these promo codes work or not.

Ciao for now,
Su

> ------=_Part_7830_24123320.1142825982201
>
> good to know I almost sign with them j/k real post below<br>

> I hope this is a new issue because a while ago went 0.8 was still

> hot&nbsp; i think, I email back and for with one of their reps. and he

> said they didn't had any problems with TG. I even ask if 0.9 was a

> &gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><br>I had an email exchange with the friendly folks at DreamHost (no<br>sarcasm there, I got quick and useful responses). The person I was
>
> ------=_Part_7830_24123320.1142825982201--

Kevin Dangoor

Mar 23, 2006, 4:10:15 PM3/23/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On 3/23/06, S Potter <mbbx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not a DreamHost customer yet, but am considering it if this issue
> gets resolved (and they upgrade to 0.9x). Can DreamHost customers
> using TG email the group to inform us on the status of TG issues with
> DH?

I haven't heard any new news from DreamHost. One thing to note is that
the person I was talking with was pre-sales support, so it wasn't like
I was talking to a sysadmin. Still, they can't be *that* big a
company, so I think some of what we talked about leaked through to the
sysadmin.

> Slightly off-topic...
> For those interested in DH and wanting to save some money, I saw the
> following promo codes on a deal site to use to sign up to DreamHost to
> get money off:
> http://www.watchmydeals.com/content/view/86/31/
>
> As I said I have not yet signed up for a DH account so I cannot say if
> these promo codes work or not.

If you find a DreamHost promo code somewhere that you'd like to use, I
can match it. The link on the TG site helps support the project, but
it appears that I can create promo codes that support the project a
bit less but save you some money.

Kevin