Experiences wanted for formencode update from 0.7 -> 1.0

1 view

Felix Schwarz

Jul 11, 2008, 12:05:51 PM7/11/08
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi TG-users!

I would like know I you already updated formencode to 1.0.1.

If yes:
- Did you experience problems in your app due to the update?
(There were some subtle semantics changes from 0.7 -> 1.0)
- Can you describe the problems briefly? Did the problems caused a security
problems?
- How much time did I take you to fix the problems?

The reason I'm asking is that the formencode package in Fedora EPEL may get
updated in the next weeks so we can introduce a new version of
ToscaWidgts/tw.forms into EPEL.

Fedora EPEL is a set of packages for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and clones (e.g.
CentOS, Scientific Linux). We have a policy which is focussed on stability so
generally, you won't get the latest versions but 'proven' ones. Every update
is ("should be") evaluated carefully if it is really necessary or if it is
likely to break things.

This is what I'm currently doing so we really need your experiences to
evaluate if we dare to update formencode. It is not necessary that you use
CentOS or RHEL, any operating system is fine as long as you use formencode :-)

Thank you very much for your time.
Happy coding
fs

Jorge Godoy

Jul 12, 2008, 10:16:35 AM7/12/08
to turbo...@googlegroups.com

Barry Hart

Jul 14, 2008, 9:16:13 PM7/14/08
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
The main change I noticed is that nested arguments behave differently. In the old version, missing nested arguments were simply not present in the arguments passed to the controller function (you'd get the outer dictionary but it'd be missing the keys). In the new version, those arguments would be present and have the value 'None'. I prefer the new behavior because you could count on things being there.

Only a couple of functions in our app were affected so the time to update was negligible (1-2 hours).

Barry

percious

Jul 15, 2008, 3:12:34 PM7/15/08
to TurboGears
The initial reason for the FE release were a few bugs that affected
tw.forms. These were fixed over pycon, and shortly after Ian did a
release. I don't know of any other changes that will affect your
code... (other than this one which you listed)

-chris