commands.py file conflicts with python standard library

zaf

Jan 12, 2009, 6:40:37 AM1/12/09
to TurboGears
Hi everyone,
So I installed TG 1.0.8 on a new machine a quickstarted a project so
that I would only have to copy/paste my files in there and have a
working project.
It all worked well except that I am using the python "commands" module
and well, when doing :

"import commands"

I was actually importing the commands.py file that was generated by tg-
admin quickstart.
No biggie on my end, I renamed that file as commands_tg.py and changed
it in setup.py as well to avoid any issue.
However I believe it should probably be named something else in the
future as it does conflicts with the python stdlib.

I imagine this has been here for a while because I don't see it in
recent TG changelogs. I honestly can't remember what version of TG I
started with. I think it was 1.0.4 but I wouldn't swear on it.

Anyway please let me know if there was a good reason for this or if
this already something that was discussed, in which case I'll just
shut up.
Thanks guys.
Tom

Mark Ramm

Jan 12, 2009, 11:29:46 AM1/12/09
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 6:40 AM, zaf <Tom.Z...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> So I installed TG 1.0.8 on a new machine a quickstarted a project so
> that I would only have to copy/paste my files in there and have a
> working project.
> It all worked well except that I am using the python "commands" module
> and well, when doing :
>
> "import commands"
>
> I was actually importing the commands.py file that was generated by tg-
> admin quickstart.
> No biggie on my end, I renamed that file as commands_tg.py and changed
> it in setup.py as well to avoid any issue.
> However I believe it should probably be named something else in the
> future as it does conflicts with the python stdlib.

Yep, can you file a ticket for the 1.1 branch and we will change the
name there. I'll leave it up to florent and the others on the
release team to decide about 1.0.x, but I don't think this is quite
rises to the level of requiring a new maintenance release, since it's
easy for users to fix, and only impacts a few people.

--Mark Ramm

zaf

Jan 12, 2009, 11:41:53 AM1/12/09
to TurboGears