another success story

reflog

Nov 23, 2005, 3:59:40 AM11/23/05
to TurboGears
Good day, All.

Just wanted to share my regards for this great product you've all been
working on!
I was required to develop a small in-house monitoring solution for our
servers for the support team, and I used TurboGears for it. The basic
outline of the project was done in about 20 minutes, the actual
monitoring code - additional 20 minutes (since Python is my language of
choice), css styling of the site - minutes, implementation of access
control, using Jeff's excellent Identity framework, another 20 minutes,
adding awesome eye-candy ajax enabled, full-blown grid control from
Ronald's CatWalk - another 20 minutes. Polishing, hooking up Postgres
DB instead of SQLite - 20 more.

All in all - a full blown, slick, fast product - 2 hours of fun work.

Thank you once again!

Eli

bon...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2005, 4:04:38 AM11/23/05
to TurboGears
Just curious, how do you use the grid control ? rip it out from
Ronald's js ?

reflog

Nov 23, 2005, 4:32:04 AM11/23/05
to TurboGears
'rip' is a harsh word :) I've just copied it, together with css and
images.
then used the instructions for using it with JSON from his blog.

bon...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2005, 4:36:54 AM11/23/05
to TurboGears
oops.

may I have the url of his blog ? Currently, I am using a modified
ajaxtable from MochiKit, just want to examine different options.

Lee McFadden

Nov 23, 2005, 5:01:29 AM11/23/05
to turbo...@googlegroups.com

Scott Benjamin

Nov 23, 2005, 4:20:43 PM11/23/05
to TurboGears
Congrats!!

Eli,

I'm interested in what you wrote as I've been tasked to do something
similiar. Is there any chance that you'd be interested in sharing your
work?

Figured I'd ask ;)

Scott

vinjvinj

Nov 23, 2005, 7:49:45 PM11/23/05
to TurboGears
Have you guys looked at unagi.py for monitoring servers. I use it to
monitor my linux servers. It works great and unattended without a
central server. Also you can use dstat (an other python script) which
outputs your server stats in csv format which can be collected in one
central place and loaded into sqlite.

reflog

Nov 24, 2005, 5:28:36 AM11/24/05
to TurboGears
well, i can share the sources for the site, not the scanning part (it's
somewhat proprietry), so if you're interested, drop me a direct email:
ref...@gmail.com