[Off Topic] Suggestions for a intermediate or advanced python book

Jorge Vargas

Apr 19, 2006, 10:18:57 PM4/19/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I have been around python for almost a year now, and I have read a couple of books, I should say that I got into this wonderfull language with "dive into python" I really love that book I still go back to it from time to time as a reference, after that I read which I believe is the official tutorial which pops up in google after "guido tut python", I read a "byte of python" too and probably others that I can't remenber.

Anyway In my country It's really hard to get computer books, and other then me and the people I have taught/show python I don't know anyone else into "this".

Bottom line my uncle is going to USA this weekend and he agree to buy me some books so they should be common, I surf around amazon and couldn't find anything.

if you could please throw in some sugestions, it could be about anything but basic python, and better if it's related to web and python, you can even try to fool me into buying/learning about some feature you want for TG and i'll write it after I learn it ;)

Alberto

Apr 19, 2006, 11:21:20 PM4/19/06
to TurboGears
My favorites are the "Python Cookbook" (you can find almost all recipes
online at ASPN) and "Python in a nutshell" (great reference book), both
by O'reilly.

Alberto

> ------=_Part_13289_30509210.1145499537044
>
> I have been around python for almost a year now, and I have read a couple of books, I should say that I got into this wonderfull language with "dive into python" I really love that book I still go back to it from time to time as a reference, after that I read which I believe is the official tutorial which pops up in google after "guido tut python", I read a "byte of python" too and probably others that I can't remenber.
>
> ------=_Part_13289_30509210.1145499537044--

Jorge Vargas

Apr 19, 2006, 11:27:34 PM4/19/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
hehe I just got an email from some1 saying exactly that let me exercise my lazyness and copy the same reply

On 4/19/06, Alberto < alb...@toscat.net> wrote:

My favorites are the "Python Cookbook"

I was looking at this one a while ago, I may end up ordering it if I don't find something more apelling, this isnt the kind of book that you sit and read :)

(you can find almost all recipes
online at ASPN)

yes I was there today to find out what this Bunch class was, brilliant idea by the way.

and "Python in a nutshell" (great reference book), both
by O'reilly.

I love the in a Nutshell books but most of them seem to be introduction to semi complex

Mark Ramm

Apr 19, 2006, 11:44:18 PM4/19/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I would also recommend the Python Essential Reference -- not as a book
you sit and read, but as, well and essential reference. The latest
version covers 2.4 and most of the standard library, so there's lots
of good stuff in there.

Programming Python, Python Web Programming are both dated now, but I
got a lot out of them in their time. I don't think anybody ought to
write web application the way Steve does it in Python Web Programming,
but I definitely learned a lot by going through the process of writing
a web server/application using nothing but the standard library. ;)

I've heard some good things about Python Network Programming, but I
haven't seen it myself, so I can't really comment.

I also understand that there is a new version of Core Python coming
out in a couple months, and if it's like the original it will a good
introductory-intermediate on the language.

--
Mark Ramm-Christensen
email: mark at compoundthinking dot com

karlb

Apr 20, 2006, 5:46:23 AM4/20/06
to TurboGears
I recommend the Python Cookbook, too. It's a really way nice to
discover some python features you didn't notice and finding new ways to
use the ones you already know.
I didn't like Python Network Programming, but I guess that's because I
prefer to use twisted for most network tasks.

Peter Herndon

Apr 20, 2006, 9:26:06 AM4/20/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com, Jorge Vargas
I'd *highly* recommend "Foundations of Python Network Programming" by
John Goerzen. Great book, with good writing and wonderful examples.
While your uncle is at it, if you have any interest at all in
Twisted, or think you might have in the future, I'd also recommend he
pick up "Twisted Network Programming Essentials" by Abe Fettig. I'd
also recommend "Text Processing in Python" by David Mertz. It isn't
related (much) to the web, or to networking, but it is intermediate/
advanced in focus. Happily, the entire book is also freely available
online, at http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/ , though you may want to either buy
the dead-tree version or donate to the author.

Peter Herndon
tphe...@gmail.com

Michael Schneider

Apr 20, 2006, 11:26:03 AM4/20/06
to TurboGears
Jorge,

I would recommend David Metz's "Charming Python" article series on
IBM's Developer Works.

Here is the search URL,

Just type "Charming Python" into the search box. Many articles on
advanced topics. (and good basic python best practices)

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/search/searchResults.jsp?searchType=1&searchSite=dW&searchScope=dW&query=&Search.x=44&Search.y=8

> ------=_Part_13289_30509210.1145499537044
>
> I have been around python for almost a year now, and I have read a couple of books, I should say that I got into this wonderfull language with &quot;dive into python&quot; I really love that book I still go back to it from time to time as a reference, after that I read which I believe is the official tutorial which pops up in google after &quot;guido tut python&quot;, I read a &quot;byte of python&quot; too and probably others that I can't remenber.

> ------=_Part_13289_30509210.1145499537044--

Arnar Birgisson

Apr 21, 2006, 9:59:57 AM4/21/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

> if you could please throw in some sugestions, it could be about anything but
> basic python, and better if it's related to web and python, you can even try
> to fool me into buying/learning about some feature you want for TG and i'll
> write it after I learn it ;)

The O'Reilly Python Pocket Reference is the only book that has a
permanent spot on my desk, between my mouse and keyboard. 3rd ed.
covers Python 2.4

ISBN 0-596-00940-2

Arnar