Framework comparison

1 view

Sean De La Torre

Mar 1, 2006, 3:31:43 PM3/1/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I thought you all would be interested in this framework comparison performed by Sean Kelly, a NASA employee:

http://oodt.jpl.nasa.gov/better-web-app.mov

(Warning: the file is 400MB)

The following frameworks were compared:

J2EE
Rails
Zope
Turbo Gears
Django

TG did fairly well, though I suspect that he wasn't using the latest version during his tests.

Sean

Randall

Mar 2, 2006, 12:20:13 PM3/2/06
to TurboGears
Yea, fastdata would have helped quite a bit on the last trial, but I
can't blame him for not using alpha features. O.T. - I was amazed at
how fast this guy typed. He makes good use of autocompletion, can
write a DTD from memory, and drum out 30 lines of code or html in about
10 seconds.

Bill Woodward

Mar 2, 2006, 2:25:57 PM3/2/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Um, I think he had recorded that and was just talking over the playback.  At least, that's the impression I got.  It was a very interesting presentation.  I was surprised how well Zope/Plone rated, since I found them very confusing.  I guess when I looked at them, I was looking for a CMS, not a development framework.

OTOH, as a J2EE developer (in my day job), I was not at all surprised at how J2EE rated.

- Bill

--
Bill Woodward     wpw...@saifa.net       http://www.saifa.net

"I have more trouble with D. L. Moody than with any other man I ever met." -- D. L. Moody
        s/D. L. Moody/Bill Woodward/g

gasolin

Mar 3, 2006, 12:13:46 AM3/3/06
to TurboGears
What a nice screencast, after watching this I think it's time to do
some re-implementation with new turbogears elements.

In the morning, I wake up and did it in an hour (including writing doc
and capture figures).I convinced that the whole iteration could be done
in 10 minutes(or less) to catch up with Sean Kelly's demo in latest tg
version through bunch of exciting new features in 0.9a (Model
Designer, CatWalk, DataController...).

I'll release a doc in this weekend called "Making a Time Tracker in
TurboGears " to mention about tg on this screencast and my quick
re-implement with latest tg svn to show the difference.
In latest tg svn the interactive develop style remain, but in new tg
version we got more sleek tools to productivate ourself.

Good news, bad news. After this activity, I found the latest version
(in svn) is still buggy, here are some bugs I've meet under [windows]
environment:

* quickstart template generation tool not work properly(so I copy other
oldversion framework fromother project)
* Model Designer can't save generated code to model.py(so I copy to
model.py directly)
* Catwalk can't save new entry(so I use DataController to manuplate
data)

gasolin

Mar 3, 2006, 1:54:16 AM3/3/06
to TurboGears
You can see a snap comparism from Turbogears 0.8 / latest svn to
implement a simple time tracker here.

http://inet6.blogspot.com/2006/03/making-time-tracker-in-turbogears.html

Michael Schneider

Mar 3, 2006, 7:42:25 AM3/3/06
to TurboGears
Thanks,

I have not heavily used 0.9 yet, and I am looking forward to you src
posting.

Mike

gasolin

Mar 5, 2006, 10:18:57 AM3/5/06
to TurboGears

Kevin Dangoor

Mar 6, 2006, 5:48:39 PM3/6/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On 3/3/06, gasolin <gas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll release a doc in this weekend called "Making a Time Tracker in
> TurboGears " to mention about tg on this screencast and my quick
> re-implement with latest tg svn to show the difference.
> In latest tg svn the interactive develop style remain, but in new tg
> version we got more sleek tools to productivate ourself.
>
> Good news, bad news. After this activity, I found the latest version
> (in svn) is still buggy, here are some bugs I've meet under [windows]
> environment:
>
> * quickstart template generation tool not work properly(so I copy other
> oldversion framework fromother project)
> * Model Designer can't save generated code to model.py(so I copy to
> model.py directly)
> * Catwalk can't save new entry(so I use DataController to manuplate
> data)

Thanks for doing that! 6 lines of Python code is quite an improvement.
(FastData really needs a lot of work, still... not to reduce below 6
lines of code, but to add better customizability and functionality.)

Usually, I use "alpha" to mean not feature complete. In the case of
0.9, I'm using the "alpha" label because it's buggier than what I'd
want to see in a beta.

Kevin