Update on the status of TG

Alberto Valverde

Jul 4, 2007, 11:41:49 AM7/4/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you're following the Trac lately you will probably have noticed
there's a lot going on lately in TurboGearsLand: 2.0 is beginning to
get traction, the green bar on the 1.x milestones is moving fast and
the website and online documentation is finally getting the much
needed love it has been begging for on the admin side.

Unfortunately (seems like a BDFL curse of some sort...) I've got
unexpectedly busy short after I took the chair back in January and
haven't been able to dedicate TG as much time as I would like, worse
still, I won't be able to do so until well into fall since I'm now
involved in another non-TG related project.

In order for TG not to lose its new regained momentum during the next
months in which I won't be able to participate much in the community,
I think the best to solution is to share the BDFL stick. Therefore,
I'm proud to introduce our three new leaders:

Florent Aide has been very active in the community lately and very
helpful overall, in fact, release 1.0.2.2 owes him a substantial part
of it's existence since it would have been probably been days late(r)
if it wasn't for him helping me out closing the last few tickets. I'm
very glad he has accepted to be the 1.x series branches maintainer.

Mark Ramm is also a long standing member of the community and well
known for authoring TurboGears official book. Not only that, he has
also been the secret leader behind the Rebel Forces that have finally
made it into the trunk and will soon bring us the revolutionary
TurboGears 2.0. He has kindly accepted to be the maintainer of the
2.0 series.

Christopher Arndt is yet another long standing member of the
community who has been doing a great job improving TG's online
documentation and helping out in the mailing list. After exposing the
almost abandoned state of the docs wiki and TG's website on the
administration side and bugging me repeatedly about it, he has proved
to actually care about it and offered his time and skill to sort it
out. He has devoted and impressive effort in this front since he got
his new shinny SSH key to the server turbogears.org is hosted at. He
has accepted to be the chief sysadmin.

Thanks all of you for accepting and all the effort you've been
putting to help out!

There are also many others which I haven't mentioned but have not
helped less and I'd like to publicly thank them now (we know who you
are! the changelog never lies ;)

Regards,
Alberto

Marco Mariani

Jul 4, 2007, 12:07:21 PM7/4/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Alberto Valverde ha scritto:

> There are also many others which I haven't mentioned but have not
> helped less and I'd like to publicly thank them now (we know who you
> are! the changelog never lies ;)

This is a welcome status update, thank you.
BTW, will some of the TG developers be in Vilnius next week?
I see no mention of turbogears on the timetable, or in the sprints.

Christopher Arndt

Jul 4, 2007, 12:36:50 PM7/4/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Marco Mariani schrieb:

> BTW, will some of the TG developers be in Vilnius next week?
> I see no mention of turbogears on the timetable, or in the sprints.

Well, there was actually some mentioning, One of the very first talks on
Monday was to supposed to be a talk from me about TurboGears.
Unfortunately, I just had to cancel the talk and my conference
attendance due to personal reasons :-(.

I might be able to come to the PyCon UK in September...

Christopher Arndt

Chris Miles

Jul 4, 2007, 1:03:17 PM7/4/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com, Chris Miles

On 4 Jul 2007, at 17:36, Christopher Arndt wrote:

> Marco Mariani schrieb:
>> BTW, will some of the TG developers be in Vilnius next week?
>> I see no mention of turbogears on the timetable, or in the sprints.
>
> Well, there was actually some mentioning, One of the very first
> talks on
> Monday was to supposed to be a talk from me about TurboGears.
> Unfortunately, I just had to cancel the talk and my conference
> attendance due to personal reasons :-(.

If anyone does want to get together in Vilnius to discuss all things
Turbogears (perhaps over a beer or two?) then let me know.

> I might be able to come to the PyCon UK in September...

Would be great to meet you if you could make it to PyCon UK.

Cheers,
Chris Miles

Christoph Zwerschke

Jul 5, 2007, 8:03:29 AM7/5/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the status update, Alberto.

What are the plans for widgets in TG 2.0? Will these be ToscaWidget? Is
your plan of releasing a beta of with a new widget browser anytime soon
still within your bounds of possibility?

-- Chris

iain duncan

Jul 5, 2007, 12:17:46 PM7/5/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com