Python Editor

Ivo Looser

Feb 3, 2006, 1:56:54 AM2/3/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Together

Currently my daily Business is Developing on Windows XP CSharp with
vs.net. I think i'm blessed with vs.net.

For Python so far all what i did was trying alot of python-ide's and
texteditors. Vim, eric3, editplus and trustudio Fundation.
I whould like to have a good ide for developing turbogear. I prefer a
free one, but prices for privat use are welcome.
Refactoring and svn support whould be desired but are not a must.
Komodo, wingide or TrueStudio are considered.
What you use an why?

Someone have a suggestion to gut one?

Thanks in advance.

Ivo Looser

David Guaraglia

Feb 3, 2006, 5:08:16 AM2/3/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ivo.

Well, I can say that I have tried allmost all of them, and there are a
couple I consider "the best", but there is not _one_ that has all the
features:

1) You have Boa Constructor (http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/),
that is something like a Visual Studio for Python: you have refactoring,
CVS support (if memory doesn't fail me), debugger and a long list of
features. When run in constricted mode (-C as command line parameter)
you get a nice editor without all the GUI building, etc.
2) SPE (http://stani.be/python/spe/blog/) that is quite a good editor,
with some pluses and an "integrated" debugger. It's quite easy to
mantain projects, etc, so it's one of the ones I like most.
3) Scite (http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html): very lightweight, simple
completion, nice coloring, but no project managment. I use it a lot.
4) Last but not least PSPad (http://www.pspad.com): a cool editor with
project managment, nothing else.

As for the paid ones, Wingide is quite complete, but it doesn't behave
very well under windows (slow, and looks ugly). Instead of TrueStudio y
would try Pydev that is free and has a lot of the features of
TrueStudio. And Komodo is a big piece of software that (at least in my
experience) crashed a lot under windows, and seems support for it has
been cut down.

To resume: there is not a grea general Python IDE out there. Eric3
promissed to be good, but under windows it's slow and has some quirks. I
hope someday when QT4 gets its GPL PyQT counterpart, we well get to run
run Eric3 in it's full glory.

David

Mark Godfrey

Feb 3, 2006, 5:13:51 AM2/3/06
to TurboGears
I'm currently using Eclipse, PyDev, and Subclipse.

Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org) is amazing, but pretty large.
PyDev (http://pydev.sourceforge.net/) allows python development in
eclipse.
Subclipse (http://subclipse.tigris.org/) gives you Svn integration.

Yes, it's large and heavy to use, but works better than anything else
I've tried.

Jeff Grimmett

Feb 3, 2006, 8:39:16 AM2/3/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On 2/3/06, Ivo Looser <ivo.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

For Python so far all what i did was trying alot of python-ide's and
texteditors. Vim, eric3, editplus and trustudio Fundation.

Try also SPE. It's still under heavy development, and the upgrades can bite you, but overall it's everything I want in a Python IDE.

Reasons I use:

1) Free - yay!
2) Done in wx/python, which I understand if I really need to fix something myself
3) I like the class browser. I would have done it that way myself, only not as good a job :-)
4) Support for debugger; almost there now, still a few issues, but I have no doubts that it will stabilize
5) Syntax highlighting
6) *configurable* syntax highlighting :-)
7) Tabbed multidoc

#3 and #7 are really the gotta-haves for me with #5 a close second.

--
"I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and the Republicans thought it was hell."
                  - Harry S. Truman.

Best,

    Jeff

gasolin

Feb 3, 2006, 8:39:31 AM2/3/06
to TurboGears
Eclipse+PyDev are good for most of your request.

Jorge Godoy

Feb 3, 2006, 9:59:47 AM2/3/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Ivo Looser <ivo.l...@gmail.com> writes:

> For Python so far all what i did was trying alot of python-ide's and
> texteditors. Vim, eric3, editplus and trustudio Fundation.
> I whould like to have a good ide for developing turbogear. I prefer a
> free one, but prices for privat use are welcome.
> Refactoring and svn support whould be desired but are not a must.
> Komodo, wingide or TrueStudio are considered.
> What you use an why?

Emacs. But you should also take a look in Eclipse. ;-)

--
Jorge Godoy <jgo...@gmail.com>

Helio Pereira

Feb 3, 2006, 10:49:48 AM2/3/06
to TurboGears
I use PIDA, one new IDE in python for python...

sshot: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=94699751&size=o
project: http://pida.vm.bytemark.co.uk/projects/pida/wiki

have svn suport and more...

Nyenyec N

Feb 3, 2006, 12:01:17 PM2/3/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
+1

nyenyec

David Guaraglia

Feb 3, 2006, 12:40:38 PM2/3/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
PIDA stands for "Pain in *da* ass", LOL.

I have tried this too, but it's kinda clumsy if you are not used to
working with a lot of windows (à lá Gimp).

David

cogum...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2006, 3:37:06 PM2/3/06
to TurboGears
Nothing the like, PIDA has suffered alot of transformations. You just
need to look at the screenshot (which is from a SVN version) to figure
it out. Yet you *can* detach every window, therefore *turning it into*
gimp style.
That said, please try the latest version (especially SVN) and prepare
to be surprised ;)

Tim Lesher

Feb 3, 2006, 4:31:25 PM2/3/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On 2/3/06, cogum...@users.sf.net <cogum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That said, please try the latest version (especially SVN) and prepare
> to be surprised ;)

...assuming you're running on a UNIX variant.

PIDA is of no use to the original poster, who stated that he was
developing on Windows XP.
--
Tim Lesher <tle...@gmail.com>

David Bernard

Feb 4, 2006, 3:15:00 PM2/4/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Eclipse+PyDev + WebToolPlatform for editing xml/html/kid, javascript, css

David "Dwayne" Bernard Freelance Developer
mailto:dwa...@java-fan.com
\|/ http://dwayne.java-fan.com
--o0O @.@ O0o-------------------------------------------------

signature.asc

rick

Feb 4, 2006, 4:25:36 PM2/4/06
to TurboGears
umm..
gedit ver 2.12 (a textpad with tabs and syntax highlighting)
a python shell.
tg-admin shell is really handy.

vinjvinj

Feb 4, 2006, 11:46:23 PM2/4/06
to TurboGears
>>As for the paid ones, Wingide is quite complete, but it doesn't behave
>>very well under windows (slow, and looks ugly). Instead of TrueStudio y

I don't know which wingide version you have tried. it changed its UI
from 1.1 to 2.0 completely. I find the windows interface really well
thought and a pleasure to work with.

I would strongly recomend wingide and I have tried all the different
editors mentioned in the original post.

Ivo Looser

Feb 5, 2006, 12:00:33 AM2/5/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys

Thanks alot for all concepts. I had a little time to try spe and the
eclipse+pydev+subversion constellation for me it so far also the best
one.
Of course WebToolPlatform i will also try.:-)

But...
I will just go a little deeper in to how it works with turbogear. What
possibilities i have and what isnt common in python development.

I have my Workspace there i created a project Test. First i couldnt
get a project diretly get from Subversion.:-(

Second did importing my quickstart project Test with all the files and
added to my repository.

Pydev need's my python interpreter. Just added.

I whent to the controller.py and tryd to use intellicense for example
@turbogears...
decorators and Controllers.... But there was no members attached.
After i added turbogears repository in the same workspace there was no
change with my intellicense. By the way, debugging was also not
supported:-(

Are really no members visible or is there a mistake in my Configuration?

How is the real way to go into turbogear development?
Projectconfiguration, References.

One of you has an idea.

TIA Best regards Ivo Looser

On 2/4/06, David Bernard <dwa...@java-fan.com> wrote:
> Eclipse+PyDev + WebToolPlatform for editing xml/html/kid, javascript, css
>
> > +1
> >
> > nyenyec
> >
> > On 2/3/06, gasolin <gas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Eclipse+PyDev are good for most of your request.

fabian...@googlemail.com

Feb 5, 2006, 3:50:09 AM2/5/06
to TurboGears
Hi Ivo,

I'm using the exact same configuration with eclipse, pydev and
subclipse under ubuntu and so far it's the best solution for me. To
check out a project with subclipse, change to the perspective "SVN
Repository Exploring Perspective" and "Add SVN Repository" to see for
example the TG project.

I've also auto-completition working with pydev: Right click on the
project in your Navigator and go to properties, there in Pydev -
Pythonpath you have to add your own project to Project Source folders
and the turbogears svn project (if you have checked it out before) to
External Source Folders.

In the eclipse preferences -> pydev -> Interpreter Python I have also
added TG to the System Pythonpath and also added turbogears to the
forced libs (not sure if this is necessary but at the moment I have
it).

Now when you write import turbogears. and press CTRL + SPACE you see a
long list starting with __init__, command, ....

Also, when you write import model in your controller, you see all your
classes and so on.

Pydev isn't as good as ipython's auto-completition (e. g.
model.MyClass. gives you only your class methods but not the ones from
TG like select() ) but still it's very nice.

Regards,

Fabian

Ivo Looser

Feb 9, 2006, 7:47:07 AM2/9/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fabian

So, i tryed more on Eclipse and about your instructions autocomplete
works. Thanks alot near the whole integration is complete and nice.

So far i understand: "Ivo use also ipython for model when your search
some properties deeper" right?

The next step is to bring up my project for Debugging. I can make
breakpoints but eclipse stop not anywhere.

Maybe someone has more instructions?

Best Regards Ivo

Alberto

Feb 9, 2006, 8:24:08 AM2/9/06
to TurboGears
Well, this could almost derive into a flame war... :)

My personal favorite is vim + ipython. They integrate nicely in unix (
%ed somefile from ipython launches EDITOR, when you quit it
automatically imports/reloads), ipython can autocomplete symbols,
format nicely those dir(foo), etc...

Vim might have a steep learning curve but once you get a hang of it it
can be VERY fast. It's quite lightweiht too. It's the kind of editor
you either hate or love... ;)

my 2 cents

Alberto

Victor Kryukov

Feb 9, 2006, 9:22:09 AM2/9/06
to TurboGears
I used to use this combination, but at some point switching between
different buffers become a real pain... And no object browser... How do
you solve this?

Now I'm trying the SPE which has tabs for different docs and all kind
of other goodies... No kid/html support though.

Lee McFadden

Feb 9, 2006, 9:29:04 AM2/9/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On 2/9/06, Victor Kryukov <victor....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now I'm trying the SPE which has tabs for different docs and all kind
> of other goodies... No kid/html support though.

I've started using SPE for my main stuff (and if anyone knows how it
might be possible to get tg-admin shell working in the bottom window
they'll get a cookie! ;) and Scite for kid stuff.

Lee

Karl Guertin

Feb 9, 2006, 12:54:05 PM2/9/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On 2/9/06, Victor Kryukov <victor....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I used to use this combination, but at some point switching between
> different buffers become a real pain... And no object browser... How do
> you solve this?

I'm not sure exactly which combination you're talking about, but I
assume it's vim+ipython.

Switching buffers:

"If you don't use windows
nnoremap <C-N> :next<Enter>
nnoremap <C-P> :prev<Enter>

"If you do use windows (and do it via vsplit)
map <C-J> <C-W>j<C-W>_
map <C-k> <C-W>k<C-W>_

I've never felt the need for an object browser. I search for 'def
<function>' or 'class <class>' if it's open in vim or if I'm in
ipython %ed <class or function>. If I was more proactive I could run
ctags on my projects and jump around that way.

Victor Kryukov

Feb 9, 2006, 1:03:21 PM2/9/06
to TurboGears

I've just tried to do the following to make tg-admin shell works:

1. "easy_install ." in my project directory - just to make sure
pkg_resource do know my project name.
2. in bottom window shell:

os.getcwd(<the top-directory of your project>)
import turbogears
turbogears.command.base.Shell(turbogears.__version__).run()

and this resulted for SPE hangup, and pythonw.exe (yes, I live under
Windows) eating up most of the processor time - until I killed it. I'm
not sure what went wrong here; probably some TurboGears / SPE gurus
would be able to explain / fix this.

Anyway, I'm really missing ipython in SPE shell....

> and Scite for kid stuff.

Just because it has XML/HTML support? Seems that adding XML/HTML syntax
support to SPE shouldn't be such a hard task given that it's written in
Python/wxPython...

Victor.

Victor Kryukov

Feb 9, 2006, 1:08:25 PM2/9/06
to TurboGears

Karl Guertin wrote:

> I'm not sure exactly which combination you're talking about, but I
> assume it's vim+ipython.

Yep.

> "If you do use windows (and do it via vsplit)
> map <C-J> <C-W>j<C-W>_
> map <C-k> <C-W>k<C-W>_

Yes, I have the same bindings - but if you have, say, 10 open files in
the bottom and you need to select third from the end - that's a lot of
typing (ok, ok, you could press 7 <C-J>, but in that case you should
now the number 7 exactly). I aslo don't like the way gvim highlights
the active window - "white on black" and "bold white on black" just
makes me frustrating...

> I've never felt the need for an object browser. I search for 'def
> <function>' or 'class <class>' if it's open in vim or if I'm in
> ipython %ed <class or function>. If I was more proactive I could run
> ctags on my projects and jump around that way.

Good point - I almost forgot about ctags; using if might save a lot of
typing. On the other hand, if you're just studying somebody's else
sources, seeing big picture might be useful.

If only one could replace the SPE internal shell with ipython...

Victor Kryukov

Feb 9, 2006, 1:27:09 PM2/9/06
to TurboGears

Victor Kryukov wrote:
> I've just tried to do the following to make tg-admin shell works:
>
> 1. "easy_install ." in my project directory - just to make sure
> pkg_resource do know my project name.
> 2. in bottom window shell:
>
> os.getcwd(<the top-directory of your project>)
> import turbogears
> turbogears.command.base.Shell(turbogears.__version__).run()
>
> and this resulted for SPE hangup, and pythonw.exe (yes, I live under
> Windows) eating up most of the processor time - until I killed it. I'm
> not sure what went wrong here; probably some TurboGears / SPE gurus
> would be able to explain / fix this.

OK, I found the clue for SPE hangup: adding

if sys.executable.endswith('pythonw.exe'):
from cStringIO import StringIO
sys.stdout = StringIO()

after sys import in SPE.py should solve the problem.

But now, I'm getting the following error message:

turbogears.command.base.Shell(turbogears.__version__).run()
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<input>", line 1, in ?
File
"c:\python24\lib\site-packages\turbogears-0.9a0dev_r707-py2.4.egg\turbogears\command\base.py",
line 173, in run
self.find_config()
File
"c:\python24\lib\site-packages\turbogears-0.9a0dev_r707-py2.4.egg\turbogears\command\base.py",
line 63, in find_config
load_project_config(self.config)
File
"c:\python24\lib\site-packages\turbogears-0.9a0dev_r707-py2.4.egg\turbogears\command\base.py",
line 46, in load_project_config
modulename = package + ".config")
File
"c:\python24\lib\site-packages\turbogears-0.9a0dev_r707-py2.4.egg\turbogears\config.py",
line 121, in update_config
pathconfig.load_config(modfile)
File
"c:\python24\lib\site-packages\turbogears-0.9a0dev_r707-py2.4.egg\turbogears\config.py",
line 90, in load_config
execfile(modfile, d)
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'c:\\documents and
settings\\victor kryukov\\my
documents\\_private\\python.svn\\letsmeet\\config.py'

While TurboGears should look for my config.py in
...\\letsmeet\\letsmeet. What is the right way to call
turbogears.command.base.Shell(version).run(), anyway?

Michele Cella

Feb 9, 2006, 1:47:19 PM2/9/06
to TurboGears
Karl Guertin wrote:
> I'm not sure exactly which combination you're talking about, but I
> assume it's vim+ipython.
>
> Switching buffers:
>
> "If you don't use windows
> nnoremap <C-N> :next<Enter>
> nnoremap <C-P> :prev<Enter>

Similar bindings here, but I use C-Letf and C-Right.

But anyway I've found this script really useful for switching between
buffers:

I'm also trying to use PIDA (along with VIM), the latest version (0.3)
is really good compared to the previous one but I would like a stripped
version where I can just have a directory explorer and a class/func
selector (ala TextMate).

Ciao
Michele

Karl Guertin

Feb 9, 2006, 2:05:03 PM2/9/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On 2/9/06, Michele Cella <michel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm also trying to use PIDA (along with VIM), the latest version (0.3)
> is really good compared to the previous one but I would like a stripped
> version where I can just have a directory explorer and a class/func
> selector (ala TextMate).

I've been meaning to check out PIDA. How good is the vi/vim
keybindings support? I have a fairly high cognitive investment in the
vim actions/motions and while I wouldn't mind using a more fully
featured IDE, I haven't found one with sufficiently good vi support to
make it worthwhile. The problem I always run into when using a non-vim
vi clone is that I lose track of my mode and run into mode errors. The
mode display and cursor change make a big difference in usability.

Karl Guertin

Feb 9, 2006, 2:12:37 PM2/9/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On 2/9/06, Victor Kryukov <victor....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I have the same bindings - but if you have, say, 10 open files in
> the bottom and you need to select third from the end - that's a lot of
> typing (ok, ok, you could press 7 <C-J>, but in that case you should
> now the number 7 exactly). I aslo don't like the way gvim highlights
> the active window - "white on black" and "bold white on black" just
> makes me frustrating...

I work with vim exclusively in a set of xterms, so the latter isn't a
problem for me (there are vim themes for these situations, I think
active window highlight is controllable). I don't run into the 10 open
file problem because I usually have 3-5 xterms running vim at the same
time. I can do this because I use a weird window manager (wmi) and
have developed a layout/setup that allows me to flip between about a
dozen windows in the same amount of time and cognitive load that an
alt+tab takes in any other window manager I've tried.

Michele Cella

Feb 9, 2006, 2:52:18 PM2/9/06
to TurboGears
Karl Guertin wrote:

> I've been meaning to check out PIDA. How good is the vi/vim
> keybindings support? I have a fairly high cognitive investment in the
> vim actions/motions and while I wouldn't mind using a more fully
> featured IDE, I haven't found one with sufficiently good vi support to
> make it worthwhile. The problem I always run into when using a non-vim
> vi clone is that I lose track of my mode and run into mode errors. The
> mode display and cursor change make a big difference in usability.

Karl, the cool thing about PIDA is that it uses the *real* VIM with
your configuration (.vimrc).
PIDA just adds some tools around a normal VIM instance by wrapping it
inside a GTK application (that uses pygtk).

There are many tools:
- integration with svn, bzr, darcs
- code browser
- ...

I'm using 0.3 but I also have the checkout of the svn version that's
quite actively developed, unfortunately I get an error when I try it so
I'm stuck with 0.3 ATM.

Ciao
Michele

fabian...@googlemail.com

Feb 9, 2006, 2:53:18 PM2/9/06
to TurboGears
Hello Ivo,

> So far i understand: "Ivo use also ipython for model when your search
> some properties deeper" right?

Actually, I've just updated my pdev version from 0.9x to current 1.01
and now auto-complete gives me more completition options than before.
I'm not exactly sure how good the coverage is now but it has now things
like .select() are there, looks like a big improvement now.

I've also seen that the debug feature is new in pydev but I got the
same result as you, the debugger ignores my breakpoint. I don't really
need a debugger at the moment, but if somebody got it working I would
be curious :-)

Another thing which could be useful is to write some small use cases to
play with the models and execute them directly with pydev in eclipse.
Just add this to the beginning of your use case:

if __name__ == "__main__":
import turbogears.database

turbogears.database.set_db_uri("mysql://user:password@localhost:3306/yourdbname")

from model import *

Then you can work with your models directly in eclipse and examine some
of your program behaviour.

With best regards,

Fabian

Victor Kryukov

Feb 9, 2006, 2:53:49 PM2/9/06
to TurboGears

Michele Cella wrote:

> Karl, the cool thing about PIDA is that it uses the *real* VIM with
> your configuration (.vimrc).
> PIDA just adds some tools around a normal VIM instance by wrapping it
> inside a GTK application (that uses pygtk).
>
> There are many tools:
> - integration with svn, bzr, darcs
> - code browser
> - ...

So is there any estimation when this wonderful tool will be available
for poor Windows users?

Michele Cella

Feb 9, 2006, 3:03:14 PM2/9/06
to TurboGears

:D

I'm not a PIDA developer so I really have no idea (GTK works on windows
but PIDA probably uses many *nix tools).

Hey, you can always switch to linux... it's free. ;-)

Ciao
Michele

cogum...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2006, 3:28:08 PM2/9/06
to TurboGears
Hi all,

Version 0.3.1 was released a few days ago and has seen significant
improvement on the user interface and user experience. I am one of
their developers and your experiences with PIDA are very important to
us. Please stop by at irc://irc.freenode.net/pida and share your
experience.

Also we strive for making it easily configurable, it's currently
possible for a very stripped down interface (like GEdit or like
TextMate). It's still a young project but it already boasts alot of
features.

About the win32 port. We currently do not target it because we don't
use it. If someone is interested in testing it and wants to helps us
out porting it we would be glad to work this out. But since it's
architecture is really modular it won't be that difficult to do it.

Michele Cella

Feb 9, 2006, 4:05:26 PM2/9/06
to TurboGears
cogum...@users.sf.net wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> Version 0.3.1 was released a few days ago and has seen significant
> improvement on the user interface and user experience. I am one of
> their developers and your experiences with PIDA are very important to
> us. Please stop by at irc://irc.freenode.net/pida and share your
> experience.

Will do. :-)

Just downloaded 0.3.1 it and it's really another big step forward
compared to 0.3 (I like the new organization of sidebar, before it was
a little hard to find the right thing).

> Also we strive for making it easily configurable, it's currently
> possible for a very stripped down interface (like GEdit or like
> TextMate). It's still a young project but it already boasts alot of
> features.

Great.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Ciao
Michele

jorge....@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2006, 10:16:17 PM2/11/06
to TurboGears
crimson editor(it's great for small code, but nothing fancy)

vi for linux of course.

really i want one but i can';t find it.

I really like that one Kevin use in the first screencast (wiki20) I was
almost as impress with it then TG :p

but it's a mac only + paid program so back to notepad

Lee McFadden

Feb 12, 2006, 8:01:42 AM2/12/06
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On 2/12/06, jorge....@gmail.com <jorge....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I really like that one Kevin use in the first screencast (wiki20) I was
> almost as impress with it then TG :p

Yes, TextMate looks great and if you check out the screen cast on
their website you can see how powerful it is. Kevin's screencasts
alone pushed me over the edge in my decision to buy a Mac. I'll be
getting my sexy new MacBook Pro during next month and TextMate very
shortly afterwards. :)