OT Best advanced python text?

iain duncan

Jan 9, 2007, 9:51:48 PM1/9/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious to hear what TG'ers think is the best current text covering
advanced topics in python programming. I already own ( and love )
Beginning Python by Hetland and an old edition of Core Python by Chun.
Looking for something that will go into further details and cover new
additions to the language. ( Beginning Python is very current, but
covers pretty lightly. )

Thanks
iain
( Naming Python after the Pythons, who are in turn named after snakes,
seems really cute until you try searching for python books ... )

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T

Jan 9, 2007, 10:21:26 PM1/9/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I am a big fan of code over books and given the readability of the
language it works out well.
I would suggest anything by Alex Martelli,
http://www.aleax.it/python_mat_en.html also subscribing to python news
feeds

Daily Python-URL! - http://www.pythonware.com/daily/rss2.xml

Guido van Rossum's Weblog -
http://www.artima.com/weblogs/feeds/bloggers/guido.rss

Planet Python - http://planet.python.org/rss10.xml

I can name a few more people if you want, Ian Bicking -
http://blog.ianbicking.org/, etc. Another good place to go is the
python mailing list.

Of course, that is just me ;-?

iain duncan

Jan 9, 2007, 10:45:52 PM1/9/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the links! I do read code too, and blogs. But I also have a
fondness for sipping coffee over dead trees without electronics
about. ;)

Iain

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T

Jan 9, 2007, 11:36:57 PM1/9/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I'm all about the coffee and reading, but I tend to use my laptop or 770.

;)
The python cookbook, text processing in python are decent books I have
in my library.

anderbubble

Jan 10, 2007, 12:54:49 AM1/10/07
to TurboGears
I really like the Python Essential Reference by David M. Beazley. I
find that once you get out of the "beginner" realm I really prefer
references over tutorials anyway. Plus it covers some of the cool new
features of 2.4. (I'm sure there'll be a new edition for 2.5, if there
isn't already.)