setuptools is going crazy on latest SVN 0.9a0dev-r341 (on windows)

jorge....@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2005, 7:52:01 PM12/19/05
to TurboGears
I run python setup.py develop

I'm getting this output:

Installed <pathToSVNCheckOut>\turbogears
Processing dependencies for TurboGears==0.9a0dev-r341
Searching for cElementTree>=1.0.2
Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/cElementTree/
Reading http://www.effbot.org/zone/celementtree.htm
Reading http://effbot.org/downloads#celementtree
Best match: cElementTree 1.0.5-20051216
Downloading
http://effbot.org/downloads/index.cgi/cElementTree-1.0.5-20051216.zi
p?index
error: Unexpected HTML page found at
http://effbot.org/downloads/index.cgi/cElementTree-1.0.5-20051216.zip?index

I follow the output and it should jump to that URL without the "?index"
although that is on the source and it's a valid html page as the output
says, and it has a link to the actual zip file.

I think this may be a bug in setuptools parser, but i have no idea how
that works so I can't really tell.

jorge....@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2005, 7:56:11 PM12/19/05
to TurboGears
i also run
python setup.py clean
python setup.py build
python setup.py install

and end up in the same place

Phillip J. Eby

Dec 19, 2005, 7:59:06 PM12/19/05
to TurboGears
jorge....@gmail.com wrote:
> Downloading
> http://effbot.org/downloads/index.cgi/cElementTree-1.0.5-20051216.zi
> p?index
> error: Unexpected HTML page found at
> http://effbot.org/downloads/index.cgi/cElementTree-1.0.5-20051216.zip?index
>
> I follow the output and it should jump to that URL without the "?index"
> although that is on the source and it's a valid html page as the output
> says, and it has a link to the actual zip file.
>
> I think this may be a bug in setuptools parser, but i have no idea how
> that works so I can't really tell.

This is an old bug, fixed some time ago. Upgrade setuptools using:

ez_setup.py setuptools==dev

(and including --script-dir=/usr/local/bin before the setuptools==dev
part if that's where your easy_install is.)

jorge....@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2005, 9:12:22 PM12/19/05
to TurboGears
that is really weird, i am doing a clean install on this machine.

I got dev version of (setuptools now =0.6a9dev-r41761)

I got pass element tree and PasteScript but failed at json-py

Processing dependencies for TurboGears==0.9a0dev-r341
Searching for json-py>=3.2.1
Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/json-py/
Couldn't find index page for 'json-py' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/
No local packages or download links found for json-py>=3.2.1
error: Could not find distribution for
Requirement.parse('json-py>=3.2.1')

it is true the URL doesn't exist anymore, the new URL is
http://www.python.org/pypi/python-json I changed it in setup.py but it
still couldn't find it

Processing dependencies for TurboGears==0.9a0dev-r341
Searching for python-json>=3.2.1
Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/python-json/
Reading http://sourceforge.net/projects/json-py/
No local packages or download links found for python-json>=3.2.1
error: Could not find distribution for
Requirement.parse('python-json>=3.2.1')

Phillip J. Eby

Dec 19, 2005, 10:07:22 PM12/19/05
to TurboGears
jorge....@gmail.com wrote:
> that is really weird, i am doing a clean install on this machine.
>
> I got dev version of (setuptools now =0.6a9dev-r41761)
>
> I got pass element tree and PasteScript but failed at json-py
>
> Processing dependencies for TurboGears==0.9a0dev-r341
> Searching for json-py>=3.2.1
> Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/json-py/
> Couldn't find index page for 'json-py' (maybe misspelled?)
> Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
> Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/
> No local packages or download links found for json-py>=3.2.1
> error: Could not find distribution for
> Requirement.parse('json-py>=3.2.1')
>
> it is true the URL doesn't exist anymore, the new URL is
> http://www.python.org/pypi/python-json I changed it in setup.py but it
> still couldn't find it
>
> Processing dependencies for TurboGears==0.9a0dev-r341
> Searching for python-json>=3.2.1
> Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/python-json/
> Reading http://sourceforge.net/projects/json-py/
> No local packages or download links found for python-json>=3.2.1

The PyPI page for this project doesn't include any direct download
links, nor does it include a home page or download URL with links to
the package. Please ask the author if they would change their download
URL to point to a page with direct download links, such as their
sourceforge "files" page, e.g.:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=137891

EasyInstall isn't a general-purpose web spider; it only scans for links
on PyPI pages, plus the "home page" and "download URL" listed on PyPI.
This keeps it from wandering all over the web looking for packages. :)

In the meantime, I'd suggest you use the -f or --find-links option to
easy_install to supply the missing URL, e.g.:

easy_install -f
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=137891 json-py

Oh, wait, that doesn't work, because the author didn't include a
setup.py. Not only that, the PyPI listing is for "python-json", even
though the project name is "json-py".

Okay, so json-py's distribution is completely fouled up. The only way
it's going to work with easy_install is if:

1. It gets a setup.py
2. It gets registered with the its *own* name on PyPI
3. It has a link from PyPI either directly to downloadable files or to
a page with links to downloadable files.

Either that, or somebody else needs to create their own packaging of
this with another name, that fixes the above three issues. Or, maybe a
switch to Bob Ippolito's simple_json is in order? His package is
actually downloadable from PyPI as source or eggs.

I know Kevin has a json-py packaging on turbogears.org; it would
probably be a good idea for him to either rename it and put up a PyPI
listing, or ditch it and go with a package that at least uses the
distutils.

jorge....@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2005, 10:09:28 PM12/19/05
to TurboGears
ok there is some serious problem here, or i'm not doing it right. I got
it running with clean/build/install and went I fire up toolbox the
python process eats all my CPU and never loads the page. (i did a
quickstart and worked without a problem)

jorge....@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2005, 11:04:13 PM12/19/05
to TurboGears
update:
I got it working and I think that there is a hardcoded path somewhere
in the toolbox code, that is throwing cherrypy into a loop if you run
tg-admin outside the root of the SVN checkout.

Just in case someone is interested
I'm running windows XP SP2, mysql, and i got apache but it's off

my next problem: Widgets browser is failing in kid with
for ev, item in stream:
File "<string>", line 33, in _pull
AttributeError: 'SelectField' object has no attribute 'options'

jorge....@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2005, 12:01:21 AM12/20/05
to TurboGears
I found the problem revision 334 broke something, it's late but I know
it is that i narrow it down and even went back to check. Can some1 else
replicate this?

I started a ticket #239 for it.

and now i'll go to sleep, and stop talking to myself :)

Lee McFadden

Dec 20, 2005, 4:29:47 AM12/20/05
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
This is an old bug that keeps cropping up for no apparent reason. The
toolbox works fine if you load it using tg-admin toolbox -n and then
go directly to the tool you want to use (e.g. for catwalk you'd use
http://localhost:7654/catwalk/). It's only the root that is broken on
the toolbox, and it's only on windows machines. Even then it's
sporadic. I've had it happen to me 3 times in total, but I've never
been able to reliably reproduce the problem.

I'm chalking it up to windows doing something stupid.

Lee