TG2 Sprints all around the world in January?

1 view

Mark Ramm

Dec 14, 2007, 3:43:04 PM12/14/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
So, here's my crazy idea. Let's throw a giant TG2 sprint/party one
weekend in January, and do it at various places all around the world
on the same weekend.

I'll host one in Ann Arbor somewhere, and perhaps some other people
can sponsor them in their cities. After talking to a couple people
directly it looks like the best date for this might be the 12th and
13th of January.

I'd also like to have a bit of a mini-sprint on the 5th of January to
get organized and ready for the main event the following weekend.

TurboGears 2 already has a number of shiny new features:

* super-shiny web based interactive debugging tools
* web sessions, backed by DB, memcached, filesystem, or encrypted cookie storage
* controller level caching via a simple decorator, thanks to beaker
backed data storage
* WSGI compliant goodness
* object dispatch now allows you to instantiate new objects based on
URL data, and continue dispatch on them

We've also got some unmeasured, but noticeable out of the box
performance improvements in TG2.

But there's still lots to do:

* Setup authentication/authorization (either port Identity or do
something new.)
* Port things like the paginate decorator
* Clean up the paster-template so a quickstarted project looks nicer.
* Copy over some Pylons docs, edit to make them TG style, and validate
that the work.
* Write sample applications, and file bug-reports on anything that doesn't work
* Do code review, refactoring, and improvements on related projects.

I think we have an oportunity to take the technical lead in the
"dynamic web framework" world. We'll have a high-powered ORM that
nobody can match, an automatic CRUD tool that's more powerful and
flexible than anything else out there.

If you're up for helping to make an in person sprint happen in your
area, let me know and I'll help out in whatever way I can.

--
Mark Ramm-Christensen
email: mark at compoundthinking dot com

Lee McFadden

Dec 15, 2007, 6:25:39 AM12/15/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
This is a great idea, and I'm up for helping to organise the UK branch
of this event should organisation be needed.

Who in the UK would be able to attend something like this if a venue
were organised in London or would the majority prefer to attend
virtually via IRC/IM?

Lee

--
Lee McFadden

blog: http://www.splee.co.uk
work: http://fireflisystems.com
skype: fireflisystems

Christopher Arndt

Dec 15, 2007, 7:26:15 AM12/15/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Mark Ramm schrieb:

> So, here's my crazy idea. Let's throw a giant TG2 sprint/party one
> weekend in January, and do it at various places all around the world
> on the same weekend.

I can offer to host a Germany event in Cologne. If there are only a few
people, we could meet at my place where there is DSL-connectivity and a
wireless lan. But there are also a few places in the city that have free
wireless (i.e. the public library or the "Halmackenreuters" cafe).

On Sunday 13th, I'm attending the baptism of my niece, so I can't be
around all day. The 5th would be fine for me too.

BTW: here's the wiki page for the sprint organization:

http://docs.turbogears.org/SprintOrganization

Chris

Alberto Valverde

Dec 15, 2007, 8:41:31 PM12/15/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Mark Ramm wrote:
> So, here's my crazy idea. Let's throw a giant TG2 sprint/party one
> weekend in January, and do it at various places all around the world
> on the same weekend.
>
> I'll host one in Ann Arbor somewhere, and perhaps some other people
> can sponsor them in their cities. After talking to a couple people
> directly it looks like the best date for this might be the 12th and
> 13th of January.
>
> I'd also like to have a bit of a mini-sprint on the 5th of January to
> get organized and ready for the main event the following weekend.

Winter-Sprinting is always good news! :)

I'll be able to participate remotely on the 5th of January and perhaps,
but not sure, on the 13th since I'll probably be busy looking for a new
home in Dublin.

I'd like to use the time to get new ToscaWidgets docs out and help
anyone wanting to lend a hand in documenting their TW experience. It
will also be a good time to integrate some TGisms I've got around at
some Pylons projects like "tg.flash", the scheduler and help Alice to
decouple TurboMail from TG1 so it can be used in TG2, Pylons or any
Python app that needs it (sorry for not doing this before as we've
talked! I finally didn't find the time)

Really looking forward to see you in TG's IRC channel those days! :)

Alberto

Alice McGregor

Dec 16, 2007, 5:05:24 AM12/16/07
to TurboGears
Mark Ramm wrote:
> Let's throw a giant TG2 sprint/party one weekend in January, and do it at various places all around the world on the same weekend.

Great idea. I'd have to participate remotely a well as I'm in a
somewhat remote location.

Alberto Valverde wrote:
> ...and help Alice to decouple TurboMail from TG1 so it can be used in TG2, Pylons or any Python app that needs it (sorry for not doing this before as we've talked! I finally didn't find the time) Really looking forward to see you in TG's IRC channel those days! :)

I hope to be there! (My handle is, appropriately, GothAlice.) As for
TurboMail independence, the 3.0 trunk is already doing well in this
regard. I've had some ideas about splitting out TG support completely
and having a separate joining module "TurboMail-TurboGears" or
somesuch. That way there can be a "TurboMail-Pylons" module as well
without cluttering someone's install with unused code.

I -think- trunk is usable as-is. Maybe not all of the stranger use
cases have been covered yet. I recently lost everything I have ever
done in a HD crash that was accompanied by my backup crashing. T_T
I'll have to pray there was no non-commited code, but I have a bad
feeling...

-- Alice.

Yaakov Nemoy

Dec 15, 2007, 9:57:22 PM12/15/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 14, 2007 3:43 PM, Mark Ramm <mark.mch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, here's my crazy idea. Let's throw a giant TG2 sprint/party one
> weekend in January, and do it at various places all around the world
> on the same weekend.

Are there any TG hackers in the Pittsburgh area?

I would be new to hacking TG itself, but I use it in a project I work
on, so I'd love the chance to learn more about the internals.

There are a number of places where free wi-fi is to be had, in public
areas in Pittsburgh.

-Yaakov

Mark Ramm

Dec 18, 2007, 10:31:55 PM12/18/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
This is very good new. (Well not about your hard-drive crash) I hope
someone can help out with geting TurboMail to work with TG2/Pyons,
since I'm sure this would be helpful to pylons folks as well.

I'm thinking about making a full user registration package a part of
the "officially supported" TurboGears 2 distribution. (Though
probably not part of the package itself), and that means we need a
reliable e-mail system, since you usually want to confirm e-mail
addresses. That would likely require that we move TurboMail into the
"officially supported" category as well.

In general I like to see at least 2, and preferably 3 active
participants in anything we're going to call officially supported.
It looks like you and Alberto both know the code well enough to cound
as 2 active committers, so we're on the right track.

TurboMail should help make TG2 a better platform, so thanks for all
the work you've done so far in making it less TG1 specific!

--Mark

percious

Dec 20, 2007, 11:28:32 AM12/20/07
to TurboGears
Last night I met with the Front Range Pythoneers in Boulder, CO.
At least 3 of the developers were interested in participating in a
sprint
on Jan 13th. Some of them have Pylons experience, some with Genshi.
At least one person had sprinted on Django in the past. Anyway,
if anyone is interested in coming down to Bivio in Boulder, CO for the
sprint
in January you are welcome to. Bivio is on the corner of 28th and
Iris,
in the suite above the hair salon. I will of course be attending.

cheers.
-chris

Mark Ramm

Dec 20, 2007, 10:02:42 PM12/20/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 20, 2007 11:28 AM, percious <ch...@percious.com> wrote:

> Last night I met with the Front Range Pythoneers in Boulder, CO.
> At least 3 of the developers were interested in participating in a
> sprint on Jan 13th.

Everybody of every level of TurboGears experience is welcome.

I'm trying hard to get a wide range of tasks added to the wiki.

If you think of any new ideas, feel free to add them to:

http://docs.turbogears.org/SprintOrganization

> Some of them have Pylons experience, some with Genshi.
> At least one person had sprinted on Django in the past.

I'm particularly interested in talking to with anybody who has a clear
picture of how app reuse in Django works in practice, and how we might
make app reuse in TG2 even easier.

> Anyway,
> if anyone is interested in coming down to Bivio in Boulder, CO for the
> sprint in January you are welcome to.

I wish I could make it. It would be good fun to hang out in Bolder.
But unfortunately I have a conference the two days before this
sprint, so I'll be pretty tied up.

--Mark Ramm

Paul Johnston

Dec 22, 2007, 7:20:50 AM12/22/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

>So, here's my crazy idea. Let's throw a giant TG2 sprint/party one
>weekend in January, and do it at various places all around the world
>on the same weekend.

Ok, I've put word around in my local area and got four people
interested. Hopefully we can get access to a room at Leeds university to
work in.

We've got two Python programmers new to TG, I expect we'll get them to
create sample apps, document the process, challenge the existing
documentation and generally just give us a fresh pair of eyes on things.

I'm probably best placed to look at transactional middleware, if that's
still in the plan. We've also got someone who's a whizz with TG widgets;
I wonder if best job for him is to look through ToscaWidgets, do some
docs, close off some tickets, etc.

Thanks for kicking this off Mark. One thing you could do to help is give
a high-level steer on some issues. There has been some debate on whether
we should stick with dodgy Pylons conventions for compatibility, or take
the opportunity to tidy these up. The list seems to be evenly split, so
a high-level steer would help. I think we've settled on plain SA with
scoped_session as the default, with Elixir being a non-standard option.

Regards,

Paul

Mark Ramm

Dec 22, 2007, 5:30:42 PM12/22/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul!

Could you put the info about your local group on:

http://docs.turbogears.org/SprintOrganization

I'll try to set some direction, write up some provisional "tg2
overview docs" this weekend which describe the way I expect things to
fit together and work.

Plain SA is the order of the day since elixir does not yet
interoperate with plain SA in all cases, which was the deciding factor
for me. ToscaWidgets will be the thing to handle forms, if and only
if we can get them appropriately documented.

I've talked the Repoze people into ripping out the dependency on ZODB
out of their WSGI transactional middleware, and hopefully someone from
that group will be available to help on one of the sprint days. I
like their middleware because it handles transactions for multiple
databases, two phase commit, and other slightly more complicated
things for us, but still should provide a simple api for the simple
one db one transaction per request case.

--Mark Ramm

percious

Dec 29, 2007, 12:55:55 PM12/29/07
to TurboGears
Just an FYI. Bivio confirmed, Boulder, CO (near Denver) is a go for
Jan 12 and 13. I will probably be attending 1 out of those two days.

-chris