Testers needed for TG2 beta

Mark Ramm

Nov 26, 2008, 11:16:56 PM11/26/08
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com
We have created a new index at:

http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/

So if you create a new virtualenv with the --no-site-packages option
(or if you want to play fast and free with your system TG2 install)

you should be able to get a fully functional TG2 install with all the
latest goodness by activating your virtualenv and doing:

easy_install http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/ tg.devtools

Let us know if there are any problems, if not we'll do a real release
of this after thanksgiving, probably Monday.

--
Mark Ramm-Christensen
email: mark at compoundthinking dot com

Lukasz Szybalski

Nov 27, 2008, 12:28:22 AM11/27/08
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Mark Ramm <mark.mch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have created a new index at:
>
> http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/
>
> So if you create a new virtualenv with the --no-site-packages option
> (or if you want to play fast and free with your system TG2 install)
>
> you should be able to get a fully functional TG2 install with all the
> latest goodness by activating your virtualenv and doing:
>
> easy_install http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/ tg.devtools
>
> Let us know if there are any problems, if not we'll do a real release
> of this after thanksgiving, probably Monday.

looks good on debian unstable....

Thanks,
Lucas

Graham Dumpleton

Nov 27, 2008, 1:21:26 AM11/27/08
to TurboGears Trunk

On Nov 27, 3:16 pm, "Mark Ramm" <mark.mchristen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have created a new index at:
>
> http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/
>
> So if you create a new virtualenv with the --no-site-packages option
> (or if you want to play fast and free with your system TG2 install)
>
> you should be able to get a fully functional TG2 install with all the
> latest goodness by activating your virtualenv and doing:
>
> easy_installhttp://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/tg.devtools
>
> Let us know if there are any problems, if not we'll do a real release
> of this after thanksgiving, probably Monday.

Note that if using Apache/mod_wsgi and trying to use virtual
environment, if you do not have mod_wsgi associated with clean virtual
environment using WSGIPythonHome, but have left it pointing at main
Python installation and the main Python installation has older
versions of packages you will have problems as the standard Python
installation will take precedence.

This comes about because site.addsitedir() used to note the location
of the virtual environment adds new directories at end of sys.path and
so virtual environment will not take precedence.

For details of this issue and Python code snippet to use in place of
site.addsitedir() see:

http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/issues/detail?id=112

The general documentation on virtual environments and Apache/mod_wsgi
is at:

http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/VirtualEnvironments

but haven't yet updated that to indicate this reordering trick. Will
soon.

Graham

Graham Dumpleton

Nov 27, 2008, 5:00:30 AM11/27/08
to TurboGears Trunk

On Nov 27, 5:21 pm, Graham Dumpleton <Graham.Dumple...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Documentation on virtual environment usage with mod_wsgi now
updated. :-)

Graham

Jorge Vargas

Nov 27, 2008, 10:43:16 AM11/27/08
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Mark Ramm <mark.mch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have created a new index at:
>
> http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/
>
> So if you create a new virtualenv with the --no-site-packages option
> (or if you want to play fast and free with your system TG2 install)
>
> you should be able to get a fully functional TG2 install with all the
> latest goodness by activating your virtualenv and doing:
>
> easy_install http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/ tg.devtools
>
> Let us know if there are any problems, if not we'll do a real release
> of this after thanksgiving, probably Monday.

tested it on ubuntu and red hat, everything fine in both.

Steven Mohr

Nov 27, 2008, 12:55:55 PM11/27/08
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com
Jorge Vargas schrieb:
Tested it on Ubuntu64 8.10 ... works fine.

Gustavo Narea

Nov 28, 2008, 12:39:15 PM11/28/08
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Mark.

I've fixed some important, auth-related bugs. Is it possible to include these
fixes in this beta?

Cheers.

On Thursday November 27, 2008 05:16:56 Mark Ramm wrote:
> We have created a new index at:
>
> http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/
>
> So if you create a new virtualenv with the --no-site-packages option
> (or if you want to play fast and free with your system TG2 install)
>
> you should be able to get a fully functional TG2 install with all the
> latest goodness by activating your virtualenv and doing:
>
> easy_install http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/
> tg.devtools
>
> Let us know if there are any problems, if not we'll do a real release
> of this after thanksgiving, probably Monday.

--
Gustavo Narea <http://gustavonarea.net/>.

Get rid of unethical constraints! Get freedomware:
http://www.getgnulinux.org/

Mark Ramm

Nov 28, 2008, 2:30:34 PM11/28/08
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com
Sure. Just update the tarballs for who/what in the TG2_index in svn
and we should be good to go.

I'm planning to do the actual release on Monday, but I'll update the
repository with new eggs sooner than that if the eggs are there.

--Mark Ramm

Gustavo Narea

Nov 28, 2008, 2:33:10 PM11/28/08
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Mark.

The fixes are in TG2 itself. Then is it enough to update the tarball of TG?

Cheers.

Mark Ramm

Nov 28, 2008, 2:39:06 PM11/28/08
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I make new tarballs from my svn checkout every time I build
the index, so you shouldn't need to do anything ;)

Joost

Nov 30, 2008, 10:21:01 AM11/30/08
to TurboGears Trunk
No problems installing on XP & Ubunto 8.10. Nosetest however yield a
depreciation warning:

C:\code\tg_1.9.7b2\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-0.5.0rc4-py2.5.egg
\sqlalchemy\orm\scoping.py:121: SAPendingDeprecationWa
rning: Use session.add()
return getattr(self.registry(), name)(*args, **kwargs)
Ran 5 tests in 0.469s

OK

Timur Izhbulatov

Dec 1, 2008, 3:29:12 AM12/1/08
2008/11/27 Mark Ramm <mark.mch...@gmail.com>:

> We have created a new index at:
>
> http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/
>
> So if you create a new virtualenv with the --no-site-packages option
> (or if you want to play fast and free with your system TG2 install)
>
> you should be able to get a fully functional TG2 install with all the
> latest goodness by activating your virtualenv and doing:
>
> easy_install http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/ tg.devtools
>
> Let us know if there are any problems, if not we'll do a real release
> of this after thanksgiving, probably Monday.

Doesn't seem to work on Debian stable (Etch) with Python 2.4 (the
default) and Python 2.5 (explicitly specified when creating
virtualenv). With 2.5 output is basically the same, so I don't include
it here.

$ python .virtualenvs/virtualenv.py --no-site-packages --verbose
.virtualenvs/tg2
Creating .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4
Symlinking Python bootstrap modules
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/codecs.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/sre_compile.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/fnmatch.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/re.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/fnmatch.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/re.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/UserDict.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/UserDict.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/ntpath.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/sre.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/os.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/sre_compile.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/codecs.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/posixpath.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/locale.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/stat.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/copy_reg.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/sre_parse.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/stat.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/copy_reg.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/os.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/types.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/sre_parse.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/locale.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/sre.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/posixpath.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/sre_constants.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/ntpath.pyc
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/types.py
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/config
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/encodings
Symlinking .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/sre_constants.pyc
Creating .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/site-packages
Writing .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/site.py
Writing .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/orig-prefix.txt
Writing .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/no-global-site-packages.txt
Creating .virtualenvs/tg2/bin
New python executable in .virtualenvs/tg2/bin/python
Changed mode of .virtualenvs/tg2/bin/python to 0755
Testing executable with .virtualenvs/tg2/bin/python -c "import sys;
print sys.prefix"
Got sys.prefix result: '/home/posy/.virtualenvs/tg2'
Creating .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/distutils
Writing .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/distutils/__init__.py
Writing .virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/distutils/distutils.cfg
No Setuptools egg found; downloading
Installing setuptools...
Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.4/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg
Searching for setuptools
Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.4/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg#md5=260a2be2e5388d66bdaee06abec6342a
creating /home/posy/.virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg
Extracting setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg to
/home/posy/.virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/site-packages
Processing dependencies for setuptools
Finished processing dependencies for setuptools
removing '/home/posy/.virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg'
(and everything under it)
creating /home/posy/.virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg
Extracting setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg to
/home/posy/.virtualenvs/tg2/lib/python2.4/site-packages
setuptools 0.6c9 is already the active version in easy-install.pth
Processing dependencies for setuptools==0.6c9
Finished processing dependencies for setuptools==0.6c9
...Installing setuptools...done.
Writing .virtualenvs/tg2/bin/activate
Writing .virtualenvs/tg2/bin/activate_this.py
$ . .virtualenvs/tg2/bin/activate
$ easy_install -f
http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/ tg.devtools
Searching for tg.devtools
Reading http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/tg.devtools/
Couldn't find index page for 'tg.devtools' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/
No local packages or download links found for tg.devtools
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('tg.devtools')

--
Timur Izhbulatov -- www.timka.org

Sanjiv

Dec 1, 2008, 9:37:34 AM12/1/08
to TurboGears Trunk
Hi Mark,

Another confirmation. It installed successfully on Ubuntu-8.0.4 with
Python 2.5.2 and Windows XP SP3 with Python 2.5.2.

Regards
Sanjiv

Lukasz Szybalski

Dec 1, 2008, 10:06:25 AM12/1/08
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:29 AM, Timur Izhbulatov <timo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/11/27 Mark Ramm <mark.mch...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> We have created a new index at:
>>
>> http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/
>>
>> So if you create a new virtualenv with the --no-site-packages option
>> (or if you want to play fast and free with your system TG2 install)
>>
>> you should be able to get a fully functional TG2 install with all the
>> latest goodness by activating your virtualenv and doing:
>>
>> easy_install http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/ tg.devtools
>>
>> Let us know if there are any problems, if not we'll do a real release
>> of this after thanksgiving, probably Monday.
>
> Doesn't seem to work on Debian stable (Etch) with Python 2.4 (the
> default) and Python 2.5 (explicitly specified when creating
> virtualenv). With 2.5 output is basically the same, so I don't include
> it here.
>
> $ python .virtualenvs/virtualenv.py --no-site-packages --verbose

> $ easy_install -f
> http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/ tg.devtools

I think the command is -i not -f:
easy_install -i http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/
tg.devtools

It does work on Debian stable python 2.4.

Thanks,
Lucas

Nicky Ayoub

Dec 1, 2008, 10:48:31 AM12/1/08
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com
A little late but... it works on Fedora 9.
Nicky Ayoub
G-Mail Account

Mark Ramm

Dec 1, 2008, 10:48:47 AM12/1/08
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com
>> Doesn't seem to work on Debian stable (Etch) with Python 2.4 (the
>> default) and Python 2.5 (explicitly specified when creating
>> virtualenv). With 2.5 output is basically the same, so I don't include
>> it here.
>>
>> $ python .virtualenvs/virtualenv.py --no-site-packages --verbose
>
>> $ easy_install -f
>> http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/ tg.devtools
>

> I think the command is -i not -f:
> easy_install -i http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/
> tg.devtools

Yea, we've created our own package index rather than just uploading
all the files to directory. This requires the -i option, but makes
it easier to create a repeatable install.

By the way I've updated the beta2 egg at that index to include
gustavo's latest repoze.what integration stuff.

I'm having a bit of trouble with getting memcache installed and
working so that I can build a complete set of new docs, but when
that's done I'll push out a new beta2 release.

--Mark Ramm

Timur Izhbulatov

Dec 1, 2008, 12:58:59 PM12/1/08
2008/12/1 Mark Ramm <mark.mch...@gmail.com>:

>>> Doesn't seem to work on Debian stable (Etch) with Python 2.4 (the
>>> default) and Python 2.5 (explicitly specified when creating
>>> virtualenv). With 2.5 output is basically the same, so I don't include
>>> it here.
>>>
>>> $ python .virtualenvs/virtualenv.py --no-site-packages --verbose
>>
>>> $ easy_install -f
>>> http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/ tg.devtools
>>

>> I think the command is -i not -f:
>> easy_install -i http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/1.9.7b2/index/
>> tg.devtools
>
> Yea, we've created our own package index rather than just uploading
> all the files to directory. This requires the -i option, but makes
> it easier to create a repeatable install.

Thanks! It works with -i

Timur Izhbulatov

Dec 7, 2008, 3:15:07 AM12/7/08
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com
2008/12/1 Mark Ramm <mark.mch...@gmail.com>:

Mark,

Earlier this week I tried to deploy my TG2 application that I wrote
few months ago in a freshly created 1.9.7b2 virtualenv. There were
some issues.

The tw.forms package from the 1.9.7b2/index is version 0.9.1. It's a
bit outdated. For instance, it doesn't seem to support help text
tooltips (in the 'title' attribute). Is there any reason not to update
to 0.9.3?

Also, I would like to draw your attention to ticket 2001 [1]. This is
quite annoying regression that breaks i18n in Genish, but it's very
easy to fix and I've already submited a patch for this.

Another issue is ticket 1999 [2]. For this one the fix is not that
simple, and the attached patch is subject for discussion.

Currently, I have workarounds [3,4] for both issues inside my
application but I would be glad to get rid of that.

Thanks,
Timur

[1] http://trac.turbogears.org/ticket/2001
[2] http://trac.turbogears.org/ticket/1999