Reblog button – add this to docs!

Angus Fretwell

Jan 27, 2012, 5:55:54 AM1/27/12
to Tumblr Themes
I literally spent hours trying to find a way to hack a reblog (and
like button) for use in a theme; seeing that there was seemingly no
appropriate template tag to output the reblog URL. I was not
successful. As a last resort I tried using {ReblogURL}. Of course–it
worked, now if only you would include it in the docs!

Then to add a like button I assume I will just grab the value of
{ReblogURL} trim off the letters/numbers at the end of the URL
(seemingly no other way to get these numbers), and pass the URL
(http://www.tumblr.com/like/{PostID}[string-from-reblog-url]) to the
like button iframe thing via javascript.

Anyway, please just add {ReblogURL} to the theme docs and save other
theme developers a few hours of frustration.

Robert Priest

Jan 27, 2012, 6:26:50 AM1/27/12
to Tumblr Themes
There lots of stuff missing in there little user guide, the way i
found new things is by looking through other blogs that had it and
installing the theme to only then look at the coding and from trial
and error eventually got it to work.

Angus Fretwell

Jan 27, 2012, 7:12:06 AM1/27/12
to Tumblr Themes
That's just annoying. I think information about all the template tags,
etc. should be made available–even if it's not on the main guide. I'm
sure this would encourage others to make themes; and it would
definitely make the process a lot easier.

Sean Zhu

Jan 27, 2012, 8:33:08 PM1/27/12
to tumblr...@googlegroups.com
I'm willing to make a regularly updated webpage/site/blog that documents the officially-undocumented blocks, if that would help.

Anyone want?

Robert J. Priest

Jan 28, 2012, 6:12:58 AM1/28/12
to tumblr...@googlegroups.com
I would be happy to help

Kind Regards,
Robert J. Priest

P: 0448110000

This email was sent via iPhone and google apps

On 28/01/2012, at 12:03 PM, Sean Zhu <interesti...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm willing to make a regularly updated webpage/site/blog that documents the officially-undocumented blocks, if that would help.

Anyone want?

Lenny

Feb 6, 2012, 6:01:13 PM2/6/12
to Tumblr Themes
I would definitely appreciate this. Like the OP I just spent a few
hours trying to figure this out knowing that the functionality existed
via other themes, but struggling to reverse engineer it. I definitely
share his frustration when I discovered it was simply an undocumented
tag.

Sean Zhu

Feb 6, 2012, 7:26:29 PM2/6/12
to tumblr...@googlegroups.com
Okay, here's a Google Doc. Click the link and request access to the doc, and I will add you as an editor.
Please add to the doc, because {ReblogURL} is all I have on there right now.

I will find a way to publish the information or send it to someone who can publish this.
If worse comes to worse, I will post it on my website, interestinglythere.com.

If you don't want to contribute but want to see the article, please stay tuned to this thread.