get info from short url?

jlw

Jul 26, 2011, 3:07:07 PM7/26/11
to Tumblr API Discussion
I've been testing the new api to get photo/video info for a given
post. This works fine when It's a full tumblr url, but the much more
common case for me is shortened tumblr links, e.g. http://tumblr.com/xat1nxofgg.
Is there any way to get the post info directly from a short link? If
not, any chance you could add one?
ie, something like:
http://api.tumblr.com/v2/blog/post/tumblr.com/posts/?api_key=...&hash=xat1nxofgg

jlw

Jul 28, 2011, 1:56:00 PM7/28/11
to Tumblr API Discussion
Anyone? To expand on why this would be useful, under the current
system multiple
redirects are required to get the params from the full url needed to
make an api call for post info.
For example,
http://tumblr.com/xat1nxofgg
redirects to
http://www.tumblr.com/xat1nxofgg
which redirects to
http://blog.famroyal.com/post/3624071488/moodswingking-dont-say-shit
with which can make the api call to get post info:
http://api.tumblr.com/v2/blog/post/blog.famroyal.com/posts?api_key=...&id=3624071488

On Jul 26, 12:07 pm, jlw <je...@rockmelt.com> wrote:
> I've been testing the new api to get photo/video info for a given
> post. This works fine when It's a full tumblr url, but the much more
> common case for me is shortened tumblr links, e.g.http://tumblr.com/xat1nxofgg.
> Is there any way to get the post info directly from a short link? If
> not, any chance you could add one?
> ie, something like:http://api.tumblr.com/v2/blog/post/tumblr.com/posts/?api_key=...&hash...

Derek Gottfrid

Jul 29, 2011, 5:16:24 PM7/29/11
to tumbl...@googlegroups.com
This is not on our current road map.

thanks,

---
api lead // tumblr

Aron

Aug 9, 2011, 7:46:14 AM8/9/11
to Tumblr API Discussion
Well, this seams both weird and disappointing to me. As a developer
there is NO CHANCE then to use shorted tumblr links found somewhere on
the internet for mashups and such.

Foursquare uses bitly for both shorting and expanding of the shorten
links. So you can use the bitly API to expand shorten links.

I'm not saying that you should move to bitly for link shorting. My
point is that it's absolutely standart for API vendors to also provide
the other way around (expand the links to be able the get the infos to
communicate with the API).

Does all this makes sense?

best
Aron