extra whites & yolks

Joy

Apr 7, 2009, 2:51:32 PM4/7/09
to Tuesdays with Dorie
I always feel bad about dumping extra whites or yolks, but I've not
successfully managed freezing/organizing/using them either. One of my
favorite things about the Cake Bible is a list of the recipes that use
extra whites or yolks, so as it looked like there'd be a few recipes
like this coming up, I tried putting together something similar for
Baking. I wasn't sure how to add an attachment here or post a
description in the file area, so they're a little disjointed, but it's
in the files titled Dorie Greenspan (which made sense on my desktop,
but realized too late is far too general to be a helpful title
here!). Just in case anyone else has trouble managing their extras :)

Nancy Ewing

Apr 7, 2009, 3:01:25 PM4/7/09
to tuesdays...@googlegroups.com
Joy, that sounds like such a helpful document! There wasn't an
attachment on my email though :(

Nancy

Kimberly Johnson

Apr 7, 2009, 6:24:14 PM4/7/09
to tuesdays...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for putting that list together! I'm going to print it and slide it right into the book!

Barbara

Apr 10, 2009, 1:42:18 PM4/10/09
to Tuesdays with Dorie
Joy, thanks!

For those of you who are trying to figure out how to find this: click
on "Files" over on the right-hand side of this page (where it says
Discussions; Members; Pages; Files).
It's the file named Dorie Greenspan.docx and it's in Microsoft Word
format.

Barbara

Apr 10, 2009, 5:35:00 PM4/10/09
to Tuesdays with Dorie
I was thinking along the same lines -- I've started going through
cookbooks and seeing what recipes use up extra egg whites. I was
thinking more along the lines of types of recipes.

Soft meringue toppings for pies, desserts, etc.
Poached merigue - as in floating islands
Baked plain meringue -- shells for Pavlovas, merigue kiss cookies
Baked nut meringues -- dacquoise for cake layers; zillions of cookie
variations - macaroons, macarons, Amaretti, etc etc. Some use cocoa,
finely chopped chocolate, coconut, etc rather than nuts.
Financiers/Friands
Angel Food Cakes
some Chiffon Cakes (not all)
White Butter Cakes such as Dorie's Perfect Party Cake
There's a White Genoise recipe in Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Cake
Bible."
Most souffles use equal amounts of yolks and eggs, but there's a fruit
puree-based souffle in "Bakewise" that uses just egg whites.
home-made marshmallows (some recipes, at least)
Marshmallow frosting or Seven-Minute Icing
Swiss or Italian meringue buttercream frostings
candied violets or other edible flowers/leaves

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Do you know of any savory
rather than sweet recipes that will use up egg whites?

Amy Schleider

Apr 10, 2009, 5:52:13 PM4/10/09
to tuesdays...@googlegroups.com
I eat them for breakfast....yummm

Barbara

Apr 10, 2009, 6:40:41 PM4/10/09
to Tuesdays with Dorie
Amy -- just plain? scrambled?

I see I forgot a category -- some recipes for mousses and bavarian
creams also use extra egg whites.

I just went over to Nick Malgieri's Web site and found some recipes
that will use up egg whites.

Easy Chocolate Mousse: http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/8-trifles-puddings/easy_choc_mousse.html
4 egg whites

Frozen Raspberry Mousse: http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/8-trifles-puddings/raspberry_mousse.html
1 cup (about 8 large egg whites)

Sugared Pecans for Strawberry Rhubarb Compote:
http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/8-trifles-puddings/straw_rhub_compote.html
1 egg white

Swiss Chocolate Mousse: http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/8-trifles-puddings/swiss_mousse.html
1 cup egg white (about 8 large egg whites)

Banana Loaf Cake: http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/1-quick-breads/banana_loaf.html
3 egg whites

Fanchonette (Meringue Tart with Apricot and Raspberry Preserves):
http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/5-sweet-tarts-pies/fanchonette.html
2 egg whites total

Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake: http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/6-cakes/coco_rasp_cake.html
1 cup egg whites (about 8)
This is the recipe that Dorie based her Perfect Party Cake on.

Fruit Financier: http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/6-cakes/fruit_financier.html
3 egg whites

Lemon-Scented White Cake with Milk Chocolate Frosting:
http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/6-cakes/lemon_white.html
1/2 cup egg whites (about 4)

Pastel de Tres Leches ("Three Milks" Cake):
http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/6-cakes/pastel_tres_leches.html
this is a chiffon cake recipe; uses about 2 extra egg whites

Peach Upside-Down Cake: http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/6-cakes/peach_ud_cake.html
1/2 cup egg whites (about 4)

Peppery Chocolate Sablés: http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/7-cookies-bars/choc_sables.html
1 egg white

Visitandines de Lorraine: http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/7-cookies-bars/visitandines.html
4 egg whites

Amy Schleider

Apr 10, 2009, 7:50:31 PM4/10/09
to tuesdays...@googlegroups.com
Oh wow, Barbara, I like your recipes much better than my breakfast scramble.  Its just a way to fight the fat grams.  Yep, I have them plain on a oat, flax wheat bran pita.  Pretty boring but gets the job done.  Thanks for all the awesome ways to use those whites.  I seem to have a yolk surplus, darn.
I do love Pierre Herme's dark chocolate mousse recipe.  Its awesome!
AmyRuth

Barbara

Apr 10, 2009, 8:17:44 PM4/10/09
to Tuesdays with Dorie
On Apr 10, 6:50 pm, Amy Schleider <amy42...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I seem to have a yolk surplus, darn.
>  > AmyRuth

Amy Ruth, save those yolks for the next few TWD recipes and you won't
have a surplus any more!

Amy Schleider

Apr 10, 2009, 8:22:39 PM4/10/09
to tuesdays...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Barbara that's a really good idea and I will do that.  My blog has been on spring vacation and I'm looking forward to getting back into the  swing.  I miss my blogamigo's.
AmyRuth

Joy

Apr 29, 2009, 7:34:30 AM4/29/09
to Tuesdays with Dorie
Barbara - that's a great list! I'm noting the sables and the lemon-
scented cake - they both sound fantastic!
In other browsing, David Lebovitz has a page of recipes using up extra
whites, too
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2007/09/recipes_to_use.html