webclient

Gunnar Thielebein

Dec 5, 2008, 11:20:34 AM12/5/08
to Tryton
Hi,

I would like to know how the plans are regarding a webclient in
tryton. If there is something planned what kind of template engine do
you choose and do you think about a framework?
I've seen some plans of using genshi templates in the past somewhere
but can't find it anymore...

Cédric Krier

Dec 5, 2008, 11:47:54 AM12/5/08
to try...@googlegroups.com
On 05/12/08 08:20 -0800, Gunnar Thielebein wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know how the plans are regarding a webclient in
> tryton. If there is something planned what kind of template engine do
> you choose and do you think about a framework?

We are just testing some solutions (like http://qooxdoo.org/)
We will not use a template engine as we think it must be a real web
application.
But it is not the main priority, as you can see with the demo server
(http://www.tryton.org/demo.html) the GTK client works well through the
web. And we have a single exe for windows.

> I've seen some plans of using genshi templates in the past somewhere
> but can't find it anymore...

I don't think that genshi will provide the needs.

--
Cédric Krier

B2CK SPRL
Rue de Rotterdam, 4
4000 Liège
Belgium
Tel: +32 472 54 46 59
Email: cedric...@b2ck.com
Jabber: cedric...@b2ck.com
Website: http://www.b2ck.com/

Carlos Perelló Marín

Dec 5, 2008, 12:19:57 PM12/5/08
to try...@googlegroups.com
El vie, 05-12-2008 a las 17:47 +0100, Cédric Krier escribió:
> On 05/12/08 08:20 -0800, Gunnar Thielebein wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to know how the plans are regarding a webclient in
> > tryton. If there is something planned what kind of template engine do
> > you choose and do you think about a framework?
>
> We are just testing some solutions (like http://qooxdoo.org/)
> We will not use a template engine as we think it must be a real web
> application.
> But it is not the main priority, as you can see with the demo server
> (http://www.tryton.org/demo.html) the GTK client works well through the
> web. And we have a single exe for windows.

What about http://code.google.com/p/pyjamas/ ?

I didn't use it yet, but I like the idea behind it for something like
Triton and with its desktop version you could share the code base with
the native client.

Cheers.

> > I've seen some plans of using genshi templates in the past somewhere
> > but can't find it anymore...
> >

> I don't think that genshi will provide the needs.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín
[P+] SERVICIOS PROFESIONALES
mailto:car...@pemas.es || mailto:car...@gnome.org
Alicante - Spain

Cédric Krier

Dec 5, 2008, 12:40:08 PM12/5/08
to try...@googlegroups.com
On 05/12/08 18:19 +0100, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> What about http://code.google.com/p/pyjamas/ ?
>
> I didn't use it yet, but I like the idea behind it for something like
> Triton and with its desktop version you could share the code base with
> the native client.

I worked on it to try to provide all the feature to convert GTK
application into javascript. But there is a lot of work to do and others
from the pyjamas community don't seem to be interested with the GTK
part.

But I think if we write a client in javascript, his structure will be
very closed to the GTK client, to be easy to maintain the both.

Gunnar Thielebein

Dec 5, 2008, 12:56:50 PM12/5/08
to Tryton

On 5 Dez., 17:47, Cédric Krier <cedric.kr...@b2ck.com> wrote:

> We are just testing some solutions (likehttp://qooxdoo.org/)
> We will not use a template engine as we think it must be a real web
> application.
> But it is not the main priority, as you can see with the demo server
> (http://www.tryton.org/demo.html) the GTK client works well through the
> web. And we have a single exe for windows.

I see a lack with using tryton when not having a client available,
e.g. if i am in internet-café or working
on a restricted workstation in another company. How much can I rely
that clients are upwardcompatible when server upgrade?
Like the idea to have a native client for that all but imo its
neccessary to have some, maybe restricted, access to monitor things.
Also I don't see a reason that you need too adapt the whole user
interface to web ui the hard way like using qooxdoo.
What was wrong with the turbogear variant of oerp?

Cédric Krier

Dec 5, 2008, 1:28:59 PM12/5/08
to try...@googlegroups.com
On 05/12/08 09:56 -0800, Gunnar Thielebein wrote:

> On 5 Dez., 17:47, Cédric Krier <cedric.kr...@b2ck.com> wrote:
> >
> > We are just testing some solutions (likehttp://qooxdoo.org/)
> > We will not use a template engine as we think it must be a real web
> > application.
> > But it is not the main priority, as you can see with the demo server
> > (http://www.tryton.org/demo.html) the GTK client works well through the
> > web. And we have a single exe for windows.
> >

> I see a lack with using tryton when not having a client available,
> e.g. if i am in internet-café or working
> on a restricted workstation in another company. How much can I rely
> that clients are upwardcompatible when server upgrade?

We have a windows client that doesn't need to be installed. You can put
it on a USB key, it is only 8.5M (or even download it each time).
And I think we will provide a Linux and MacOS version also.

> Like the idea to have a native client for that all but imo its
> neccessary to have some, maybe restricted, access to monitor things.

Why not making a full featured client?

> Also I don't see a reason that you need too adapt the whole user
> interface to web ui the hard way like using qooxdoo.
> What was wrong with the turbogear variant of oerp?

It is too slow. The main issue is that the server must simulate for
every user the client behavior. So the load on the server will increase,
I find it is smarter to put those stuff on the client host.
And we have a minimal way to discribe a form (the xml view), it is
faster to send just this information to the web client instead of an all
page.
By the way, qooxdoo (or an other toolkit) will not be much harder than GTK :-)