Mini-campaign(s), Tuesdays, April-May

ewilen

Mar 27, 2011, 3:46:09 AM3/27/11
to troupe berkeley
Hey there. I've got a chance to do some weekly gaming in April-May, on
Tuesday evenings, roughly 7-9 or so, so I thought I'd see if I could
organize some play of older/lesser-known games that I've been wanting
to try. The venue will be Endgame Oakland.

-- Talislanta (3e preferred); you can find a legal reposoritory of the
rules at http://talislanta.com/?page_id=5#3rd
-- The Arcanum/Atlantis Trilogy
-- Shades of Fantasy
-- High Fantasy
-- Under the Moons of Zoon; free PDF at Under the moons of Zoon
-- The Fantasy Trip; you'll find a near-clone of the system at
http://www.darkcitygames.com/ )
-- Crimson Cutlass

Several of these games are classics and all are easy to learn and full
of style. The first three are similar to classic D&D in terms of
mechanics, with flavorful nonstandard fantasy settings. High Fantasy
is an unusual old-school system with several interesting published
adventures. Under the Moons of Zoon is a science fantasy/planetary
romance game. TFT is the ancestor of GURPS, but far simpler (no
advantages/disadvantages, very little points-grinding). Crimson
Cutlass is 16th-18th century swashbuckling (pirates, mercenaries,
conquistadors, adventurers), using a radical system involving Tarot
cards to guide the course of play.

Game style: depending on group preferences, I may use Mythic Game
Master Emulator as an adjunct to play. Mythic provides a framework for
improvisation and/or incorporating player ideas into the flow of the
scenario. Basically it can be used as anything from a GM-tool for
coming up with ideas on the fly (which makes it easier to give players
free rein), to a group-tool for collaborative storytelling.

Generally, I can do anything from a series of one-shots (probably two
sessions per adventure, using pregenerated characters to save time),
to more extended play.

If you're interested, drop me a line or post to this thread over at
the Endgame forum: http://tinyurl.com/4cq3jsw

I'm also game for a meet/greet session on Tuesday, March 29.

--Elliot