Waffle House

matt...@my-deja.com

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Went to the Waffle House on NC 55 at I-40 in Durham last night.

Now, I normally don't expect a Fine Dining Experience from
Waffle House, and this was no exception. But I do expect
a certain base level of sanitary standards.

In this one, an employee was "mopping" the ceiling above the
stove and above open containers of sandwich vegetables.
The cleaning solution was dripping...

I understand that such cleaning has to be done sometime, and it's
a 24/7 shop -- but shouldn't the grill be closed for a few minutes
during the cleaning, and the veggie containers closed?

In case you're interested, the restaurant has an "A" sanitary rating.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Stevie

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
We went ONCE to the same waffle house and had a similar experience..Except
for the charming and polite waitress (not! she was truly Broom Hilda's
evil twin), we watched them drop a hash brown on the floor AND PUT IT ON
A PLATE TO BE SERVED!!!, We had sticky tables, slimy menus, wet counters,
dry & processed chicken breast, horrible and flat sodas, our delightful
waitress actualy sneezed on the open food
containers! plus a host of many more unpleasurable experiences-one of
course being an hour wait for terrible food!
One question: HOW ARE THEY STILL IN BUSINESS?
I have never been to a worse place for food and a more disgustingly run
one at that as well...I can't believe they get an "a" in sanitation, but
more importantly, why do you people continue to go there?!?!?!? To ANY
Waffle House for that matter? PLEASE someone, clue me in as to the
"charm" factor of a hole and frnachise like that!
Yuck! Yuck ! Yuck!

Not me.

On Tue, 17

Debra Richardson

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
I have to say ... I do visit from time to time for the pecan waffles.
I just can't find 'em that good anywhere else. Maybe it's the cleaning
solution that makes 'em so good. <shutter!> But even at IHOP (which
I'm not too crazy about) their pecan waffles just aren't as good. I
try to close my eyes while I'm eating at Waffle House. The staff just
thinks I'm really enjoying the food. What I'm really doing is blanking
out all the bad stuff! <g>

--
To reply remove R from e-mail address

Brian Barrington

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

I've always found Wafflehouse to be MUCH better at about 4am after
being out all night... I guess it's just my dulled senses by that
point. I've never even been in one when the sun is out. It sounds like
that is probably a good thing!

Brian

Michael Walsh

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
When even the Waffle House seems like too nice of a place,
I have only two words:

Huddle House

Shuddddddeeeerrrr, oh the cruelty of it all...

cheers,
mike

Rick

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Q: What has three teeth and six legs?
A: The wait staff at the Waffle House.

Seriously, the one Waffle House that I truly enjoyed was when my family
and I went to Disney World in Orlando. It was right across the parking
lot from our hotel, and we ate breakfast there at least 4 times out of
the week that we were there. The place was a little bigger than your
usual Waffle House with some table seating as well as booths. It was
clean and the wait staff were some very pleasant middle aged to to older
women with all their teeth and no tattoos (visible anyway). And all of
the food was very good IMO and my kids are picky eaters.

If anyone is interested in where it is I would have to do some research.
It was back in '96 or '97 and it was my first and only time in Orlando.

Later,
Rick

Stevie wrote:

> We went ONCE to the same waffle house and had a similar experience..Except
> for the charming and polite waitress (not! she was truly Broom Hilda's
> evil twin), we watched them drop a hash brown on the floor AND PUT IT ON
> A PLATE TO BE SERVED!!!, We had sticky tables, slimy menus, wet counters,
> dry & processed chicken breast, horrible and flat sodas, our delightful
> waitress actualy sneezed on the open food
> containers! plus a host of many more unpleasurable experiences-one of
> course being an hour wait for terrible food!
> One question: HOW ARE THEY STILL IN BUSINESS?
> I have never been to a worse place for food and a more disgustingly run
> one at that as well...I can't believe they get an "a" in sanitation, but

> more importantly, why do you people continue to go there?!?!?!? To ANY

Brian Barrington

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:31:25 -0400, Rick <re...@americasm01.nt.com>
wrote:

>Q: What has three teeth and six legs?
>A: The wait staff at the Waffle House.
>
>Seriously, the one Waffle House that I truly enjoyed was when my family
>and I went to Disney World in Orlando. It was right across the parking
>lot from our hotel, and we ate breakfast there at least 4 times out of
>the week that we were there. The place was a little bigger than your
>usual Waffle House with some table seating as well as booths. It was
>clean and the wait staff were some very pleasant middle aged to to older
>women with all their teeth and no tattoos (visible anyway). And all of
>the food was very good IMO and my kids are picky eaters.
>
>If anyone is interested in where it is I would have to do some research.
>It was back in '96 or '97 and it was my first and only time in Orlando.
>
>Later,
>Rick

As a former Central Floridian, I can tell you the reason why it wasn't
so bad is because of the job market in Florida. They actually have a
choice of they can hire unlike here in Raleigh where if you can breath
you can work. Working in Waffle House in Orlando might not be the
greatest job but at least they have one. The "service industry" in the
triangle is sorta of a oxymoron...

Brian

Collette & Ken Reynolds

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
Just noticed the "Awful House" nickname!

When Hurricane Frederic hit Mobile, Alabama, in 1975, signs were blown down
along with trees. The Waffle House across the street from the hotel I
managed sustained only minor damage to their sign (which sat adjacent to
I-65).

The only damage was that they lost the "W" in their sign, making them truly
aa "Affle House"!

No comment as to food since I've never been a big fan. Just thought this
was interesting!

Collette
Brian Barrington <kn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Jeff

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99

We used to call it the Awful Waffle when I was in school. They sure
did taste good after a long night out!

Jeff

Sorry, but email address disguised due to unscrupulous spammers. Please respond in Usenet.

Richard Addy

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99

Collette & Ken Reynolds wrote:

> Just noticed the "Awful House" nickname!
>
> When Hurricane Frederic hit Mobile, Alabama, in 1975, signs were blown down
> along with trees. The Waffle House across the street from the hotel I
> managed sustained only minor damage to their sign (which sat adjacent to
> I-65).
>
> The only damage was that they lost the "W" in their sign, making them truly
> aa "Affle House"!
>
> No comment as to food since I've never been a big fan. Just thought this
> was interesting!

You know, it must be something about the city and fast food
establishment signs - when I lived in Mobile back in the 80's, I drove
past a Whataburger - they have this really big slanted roof and on top,
the name of the place,with each letter getting its own light. The
lights for the B and the last R had gone out, leaving
Whata urge. I kinda thought it appropiate.

Richard

gregs...@my-deja.com

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
my biggest problem with the House is the waitresses innability to
remember my order--you have to ignore the factor that the place is a
total mess, and a lawsuit waiting to happen--once they serve up my
breakfast, i am a happy man

PDXRDU

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
What has nine breasts and 8 teeth??? Scroll Down...

3rd shift at the Waffle House
<gregs...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

bill mccalla

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
Florida is home to many bland food (ideal for retirees and kids) restaurants
like Waffle House. I was fortunate to find in Tampa next to the stadium a
true gem, Sam Seltzer's Steak House...20oz prime rib, done to perfection,
with salad, choice of potato, etc. for less than $10. They advertised that
and the 32oz prime rib for $16 on a billboard, but the waitress warned me
the 32oz would be like the Fred Flintstone rack that tipped his car over.
The atmosphere and service was great for "The biggest steak restaurant in
town". I wish we had something like it in the triangle.

-Bill