Dinner in downtown Durham

Peter A

Sep 26, 2006, 8:09:09 AM9/26/06

I will be downtown tonight for an art event but know nothing about what
restaurants are available for dinner. I do recall seeing an African
place near the Arts Council - are they open for dinner?

Thanks

--
Peter Aitken

dagwich

Sep 26, 2006, 8:50:43 AM9/26/06
The African place was Safari, and it has been closed for a few months
now. I think the closest place for a meal at night is Jo and
Joe's....they do have great hamburgers there and a nice selection of
beer. I have also had decent fish and chips there as well.

I asked a cook there what made the burgers so good and he said the meat
is freshly ground from Cliff's Meat Market in Carrboro. There is a
difference!

As far as I know, your other options involve walking either to American
Tobacco area or Brightleaf. I suppose there is a meal to be had at the
Marriot but I would guess the odds are low that it would be satisfying.

Brent Harsh

Sep 26, 2006, 8:31:44 AM9/26/06
Peter A wrote:
> I will be downtown tonight for an art event but know nothing about what
> restaurants are available for dinner. I do recall seeing an African
> place near the Arts Council - are they open for dinner?

We like AnotherThyme which is just off Main St. on Gregson. Their "AT Fried Chicken" is awesome.

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.

cramer

Sep 26, 2006, 10:14:21 AM9/26/06
Try the Grasshopper on Hillsboro

Joshua Baker-LePain

Sep 26, 2006, 10:44:59 AM9/26/06
On 2006-09-26, Brent Harsh <dbhp...@northcarolina.rr.com> wrote:
> Peter A wrote:
>> I will be downtown tonight for an art event but know nothing about what
>> restaurants are available for dinner. I do recall seeing an African
>> place near the Arts Council - are they open for dinner?
>
> We like AnotherThyme which is just off Main St. on Gregson. Their
> "AT Fried Chicken" is awesome.

I'll second AnotherThyme. It has been consistently good for a long while.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

Peter A

Sep 26, 2006, 11:12:31 AM9/26/06
In article <4519353a$1...@news.unc.edu>, cra...@unc.edu says...

> Try the Grasshopper on Hillsboro

That's a long way from downtown!

--
Peter Aitken

cramer

Sep 26, 2006, 1:34:08 PM9/26/06
Peter A wrote:
> In article <4519353a$1...@news.unc.edu>, cra...@unc.edu says...
>> Try the Grasshopper on Hillsboro
>>

> That's a long way from downtown!

only about 5 minutes and worth it

Brent Harsh

Sep 27, 2006, 9:00:58 AM9/27/06
Peter A wrote:
> I will be downtown tonight for an art event but know nothing about what
> restaurants are available for dinner. I do recall seeing an African
> place near the Arts Council - are they open for dinner?

Hey, Peter - where'd you wind up eating? Did you enjoy it?

Peter A

Sep 27, 2006, 9:33:11 AM9/27/06
In article <eCuSg.21139$Qg....@southeast.rr.com>,
dbhp...@northcarolina.rr.com says...

> Peter A wrote:
> > I will be downtown tonight for an art event but know nothing about what
> > restaurants are available for dinner. I do recall seeing an African
> > place near the Arts Council - are they open for dinner?
>
> Hey, Peter - where'd you wind up eating? Did you enjoy it?

Nothing downtown looked appealing so we ended up driving to Verde in
Erwin Square, one of our favorites.

--
Peter Aitken