Turbulence on the Ganges as cruise rivals clash

1 view

Thomas Latt

Aug 25, 2010, 10:06:04 PM8/25/10
to travel...@googlegroups.com
Turbulence on the Ganges as cruise rivals clash
The Pandaw Cruises operation is taking a battle for a ship it thinks it owns to the courts in India.

This follows confusion by potential passengers who have contacted tour operators after having received offers from a company called ‘Pandaw India’ offering cruises on the Ganges starting September 2010.

John Boyd, of API, which represents Pandaw Cruises in Australia, said, “We wish to make it clear that we are in no way connected with this company.

“The ship on offer, our old Pandaw IV, since renamed the Bengal Pandaw, is not owned or managed by Pandaw Cruises.”

Boyd further explained, “Last winter Pandaw Cruises invested in setting up a river cruise operation in India and sent the Pandaw IV from Burma.

“Soon after the vessel's arrival the partner, a Mr Raj Singh, through his company called Pandaw India, seized control of the ship.

“Currently Pandaw Cruises are suing Pandaw India in the Indian courts for either payment for the ship or its return.”

Meanwhile a court injunction will stop Pandaw India from operating the vessel next season.

Boyd added, “This litigation does not in any way affect Pandaw operations in other countries where all is running to our usual high standards.”

Paul Strachan, owner of Pandaw Cruises, said, “Only after the ship arrived in India did Indian inland shipping policy suddenly change and contrary to earlier advice we were told that a foreign entity could not own a ship in India.

“With passengers due to embark Raj Singh promised Pandaw Cruises shares and a controlling interest in Pandaw India in return for signing over the ship to Pandaw India.

“Such promises never materialised and as the months went by Raj Singh became evasive, making excuses and was difficult to contact.

“Expecting Raj Singh to honour his promises, Pandaw Cruises somewhat naively continued to work with Raj Singh through last season.

“By the end of the season, given the realisation that the ship had effectively been stolen from Pandaw Cruises, it was decided to pull out and more than 500 passengers booked for the coming season were refunded."

Strachan added, “The real threat of navigational hazards – the ship lost propellers and its rudder in extreme currents, armed insurgents in Bihar – who fired their Kalashnikovs at the ship as it passed, and appalling hygiene – terrible sickness affecting nearly all passengers, made the possibility of loss of life was very real.

“A company such as Pandaw Cruises, with its high standards of safety, security and hygiene, simply could not risk operating in such an environment.”