Mn DOT PRT Workshop

Richard Gronning

Jul 28, 2010, 1:09:02 PM7/28/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
We at CPRT are trying to prepare our representative on the panel discussion for this workshop. We're taking the theme, "The Reality of PRT"  for our presentation. One of the realities would be a vehicle, on/off a track, that a person can ride in. The list in the U.S. is,
  • Taxi 2000 Corp.
  • Unimodal
Can anybody add to this list?

Another reality is the list of cities that are actively seeking to install PRT, DM/SM. I have,
  • San Jose
  • Syracuse
Does anybody know about any other cities that are actively seeking an actual installation in the same way?

I've seen the list of detractors, such as Vukovich, etc. While I can probably find their education, accomplishments, and qualifications, does anybody have a list?

Does anybody have a list of advocates of PRT with their education, accomplishments, and qualifications?
This would be nice to wave in front of Avidor, should he attend.

These items would help! Both Steve Raney and Robert Lohmann have already replied with valuable information.

Thank you very much!

Dick

Jack Slade

Jul 28, 2010, 4:09:43 PM7/28/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
  I suggest adding Santa Cruz to your list of cities, even though it is on hold right now.

What is Syracuse doing, have I missed something?

Jack Slade

Dennis Manning

Jul 28, 2010, 7:10:06 PM7/28/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Dick:

Riffle through the systems shown at Jerry Schneider's web site. You can probably find a couple more.

I think you mean Ithaca not Syracuse.

ATRA Board bios should give a list. At least a start.

I'd waste minimum time on Avidor.

Dennis

Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:09 AM
Subject: [t-i] Mn DOT PRT Workshop

Dennis Manning

Jul 28, 2010, 7:33:57 PM7/28/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Dick:

Can you be a bit more specific. There are many cities where there is some citizen PRT activity, but the list drops way off if you are looking for cities where the city officials have gotten engaged.

Dennis

Richard Gronning

Jul 28, 2010, 9:15:42 PM7/28/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Dennis;

Well yes; city officials and an actual effort. There are many cities that have an interest and even routes, but no real effort in doing something. I think that SJ, Ithaca, and maybe Santa Cruz may be the only contenders.

Dick

Dennis Manning

Jul 28, 2010, 9:30:25 PM7/28/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Dick:

Santa Cruz is a kind of special case. Did you get the latest issue of TransitPusle? Larry Fabian describes how PRT in Santa Cruz is stuck by the inaction of the Public Works Director. He's using the same lame excuse I've run into here - Oh we are so short handed we don't have time to spare to read a few papers.

Dennis

Jul 29, 2010, 3:07:24 AM7/29/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Ditto about Avidor. I have tried to google the name, and all I find is a photographic shop in Minneapolis. He is not only an ignoramus, but a coward hiding behind a fake name. Some people have the guts to put their name with their opinions, and then there are others.

I will be at the workshop, so he won't be there. If he is, he will pretend to be somebody else, probably.

I have never been at such a workshop, but I assumed that it is not open to every Tom, Dick, and Avidor. Sorry, couldn't avoid the pun.

Javk Slade
PS: Check out that photo-shop...it might be him. That should make the Guiness Book of Records: A guy who takes smutty pictures of young nude girls who thinks he is also the world's greatest expert on Transportation.
How do you like that, Avidor? SHOW UP.

Jul 29, 2010, 3:37:53 AM7/29/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
This does look like it may be our Transportation expert. It might be best to find out him, just to be prepared. Artists just HATE criticism. Why don't we do what we can to interfere with HIS way of makung a living?

Remember: DONT GET MAD, GET EVEN.

Jack Slade

MinnPost - Self-appointed courtroom artist Ken Avidor captured all ...9 Apr 2010 ... Meet Ken Avidor, comic book artist by trade, rabble-rouser by avocation and perhaps the only man in the Twin Cities right now who knows how ...
www.minnpost.com/.../self-appointed_courtroom_artist_ken_avidor_captured_all_the_daily_drama_of_the_tom_petters_trial - Cached

Jul 30, 2010, 1:34:20 AM7/30/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Far be it from me to say something that might differ from the highly respected view of a peer.

Having said that, I would prefer that the members of the team where I participate take the high ground and make their best effort to maintain a tone of politeness and respect for all individuals, regardless of their views.  So far as I know, Ken Avidor has the best interests of the public at heart.  Certainly he is valuable for showing us where we are weakest, to whatever extent that he is able to see our real weaknesses.

We do not want to shut him down.  We want to study him and learn what we can from his opposition.  We may never have such a valuable source of an alternative perspective again.  He has not always played fair but seeing where he has not played fair should help us to know what we should never do.  If we want to win support we have to play fair.

I want you all to know, we have acquired more committed support from his unreasoning opposition than we could ever have gotten any other way.  I can name the names of more than one person who has come to us through his escapades on Wikipedia.

Please do not do anything to drive those same people away from us.  If the truth is on our side, that is all we need in the long run.  If it is not on our side we need to find something new to do.

Thought for the day:  How much tactical information gained through torture can compensate for the loss of worldwide popular support due to the same policy?  (Extra credit: How reliable was that tactical information in the first place?)  We always face the very great danger of becoming the mirror image of the people we oppose, the people who oppressed us.

Business Perspective: The bottom line in ethics is reputation.  Where is Arthur Andersen today?

We need the very best reputation.
--
Bob Dunning

Jack Slade

Jul 30, 2010, 2:43:20 AM7/30/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
You may be right, Bob, but you may have reversed one if those lines.  Didn't you mean "the bottom line of reputation is ethics"?  If you do your job, and do it right, you gain a reputation. If you don't, you deserve Anderson's reputation.

I was not aware that Avidor's kind of drivel could do anything good for anybody. I think he thinks he is also a comedian, but who's laughing? Ever stop to think about what he hopes to gain? I cannot imagine why he keeps it up, unless there is money in it for him, from somewhere, can you?

OK, we'll treat him right, unless he becomes obnoxious.

Jack Slade

Bob Dunning

Jul 30, 2010, 3:27:28 AM7/30/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the correction, Jack, I think.

I have heard that someone gave Ken and his wife a hard time at a transit presentation.  It is a vague rumor but it points up the fact that people have long memories.  Not that I would ever hold a grudge.

Why do I hear laughter somewhere in the background?  Is it my guilty conscience?
--
Bob Dunning

Jack Slade

Jul 30, 2010, 4:01:37 AM7/30/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Instead of giving him a hard time, what would you think of inviting him to speak?

That would give him a chance to get his criticisms off his chest, if he has anything worth saying. It would also give him a chance to put his foot in his mouth.  I once heard an an Instructor say " sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut, and let people think you are an idiot, than to open it and remove all doubts".

Richard Gronning

Aug 2, 2010, 5:03:15 PM8/2/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jack;

I was thinking the same thing. A non-technical radical should disgrace
himself very quickly under scrutiny. The more polite and encouraging
that we are, the better chance that he would have to step on himself.

We'll see what happens.

Dick

Jack Slade wrote:
> Instead of giving him a hard time, what would you think of inviting
> him to speak?
>
> That would give him a chance to get his criticisms off his chest, if
> he has anything worth saying. It would also give him a chance to put
> his foot in his mouth. I once heard an an Instructor say " sometimes
> it is better to keep your mouth shut, and let people think you are an
> idiot, than to open it and remove all doubts".
>
> Jack Slade

Jerry Roane

Aug 2, 2010, 8:01:10 PM8/2/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Richard

This may help---  http://www.minnpost.com/stories/2010/04/09/17263/self-appointed_courtroom_artist_ken_avidor_captured_all_the_daily_drama_of_the_tom_petters_trial

He is a comic book guy who sells his "art".  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Guy

To get his "art" prices up he needs blog hits.  By attacking an obviously popular topic he can ride the coat tails of PRT's success.  From his renderings similar to 2nd grader work, I am guessing he is very non-technical and has no education.  He certainly is not a Renoir.  More a mix of the comic book guy and Picasso.

Jerry Roane

Michael Weidler

Aug 5, 2010, 6:46:52 PM8/5/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
One of Abe Lincoln's more famous quotes.