From the Netherworld

1 view

Rober...@aol.com

Feb 22, 2009, 5:37:28 PM2/22/09
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

Some of you may get a kick out of these characters.
Robert Pulliam
Tubular Rail
Houston TX

eph

Feb 22, 2009, 6:46:39 PM2/22/09
to transport-innovators
I wonder is there is a possible advantage to linking the evacuated-
tube idea with the tubular rail idea. It seems like a 100 km turn
radius of the high speeds would be well suited to this idea, also,
since alignment of the track is very important at high speed, it might
be possible to vary the rings (or their (magnetic?) effect) so that
the ride would be smooth in 3 dimensions.

F.

On Feb 22, 5:37 pm, Robertp...@aol.com wrote:
> _Tubular  rail - AnimeSuki Forum_
> (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?s=dbe5f314737b4c469da02fe4...)
>
> Some of you may get a kick out of these characters.
> Robert Pulliam
> Tubular Rail
> Houston TX
> steps!
> (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?red...
> %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

Michael Weidler

Feb 26, 2009, 11:18:16 AM2/26/09
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Have you ever heard of banking a curve? You do not need a 100km turn radius.

Rober...@aol.com

Feb 26, 2009, 11:29:20 AM2/26/09
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
is covered in the Q and A section, but some people don't get beyond the pictures.
rp

Dennis Manning

Feb 26, 2009, 11:57:26 AM2/26/09
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Same mistake I was making. Tubular rail system is not magnet.

Jerry Roane

Feb 26, 2009, 12:29:15 PM2/26/09
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Dennis

I did the same thing.  Tubular rail is traction wheels and the towers are close enough to each other and the train is long enough that the trajectory is always defined.  Initially I pictured magnets and longer spans so it seemed much harder to pull off.  At my face to face meeting I was corrected.  previously I had all kinds of guidance features pictured in my mind with side wind being very difficult to overcome but now I think I get it and it makes sense.  It does eliminate the guideway in the sky.

Jerry Roane

eph

Feb 26, 2009, 12:32:09 PM2/26/09
to transport-innovators
I read that later, it seemed like a magnetic system would be smoother
and more efficient.

I figured that given a speed of 1,000 mph in an evacuated tube, a
radius of 62 miles would be required to keep forces down to 1/4 G.
v^2/r = a was the formula used - is it wrong? Yes, when banked
it's 1.25 G toward the floor - seemed like a comfortable ride
threshold.

F.

On Feb 26, 11:57 am, "Dennis Manning" <john.manni...@comcast.net>
wrote:
> Same mistake I was making. Tubular rail system is not magnet.

Ian Ford

Feb 26, 2009, 1:02:22 PM2/26/09
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
The tubular rail idea is about cutting the mass of fixed infrastructure
by making the train stiff and rail-like. It seems like you could build a
maglev high speed tubular rail, but only up to speeds that you want to
pay to move the air out of the way. The rings could be self-adjusting.
(My intuition says that for any market you design tubular rail for, some
other technology would be cheaper..?)

The evacuated tube idea is about cutting operations costs and cannot be
done with interrupted rail like tubular rail, so I can't see how the two
would be combined.

High speed obviously requires straighter paths, and banking just changes
the perceived force from lateral to downwards. If we are going to get
air traffic back to the ground, we're going to need rights of way or
tunnels with very little curvature, no matter what the technology is.

--
Ian Ford i...@ianford.com 505.246.8490

Kirston Henderson

Feb 26, 2009, 1:19:41 PM2/26/09
on 2/26/09 12:02 PM, Ian Ford at i...@ianford.com wrote:

> High speed obviously requires straighter paths, and banking just changes
> the perceived force from lateral to downwards. If we are going to get
> air traffic back to the ground, we're going to need rights of way or
> tunnels with very little curvature, no matter what the technology is.

I was recently asked by a highway engineer if we would be able to
operate our 120-mph MegaRail® at full speed following the I-70 right of way
through Colorado. In this case, our analysis indicated that we would need
to bank the guideway in some of the curves by about 30-degrees which is
something that we can easily do. In case someone starts thinking of a
roller coaster ride, our analysis has shown that the g forces experienced by
the passengers on those curves would be well within those experienced by
airline passengers during normal flights.

Kirston Henderson
MegaRail®

eph

Feb 26, 2009, 1:34:11 PM2/26/09
to transport-innovators

On Feb 26, 1:02 pm, Ian Ford <i...@ianford.com> wrote:
> The evacuated tube idea is about cutting operations costs and cannot be
> done with interrupted rail like tubular rail, so I can't see how the two
> would be combined.

The idea was simply spaced rings or really just the lifting/guiding
devises spaced every 1/4 vehicle length in a tunnel instead of laying
track that might get out of adjustment. So the self-adjusting "rings"
would act on a long stiff body vehicle. Maybe it makes no economic
sense, maybe it would be a good way to account for minor shifts in
tunnels, especially at high speeds.

Another idea would be to string the evacuated tube across the rings it
would not have to support the weight of the train, just itself. Kinda
like those finger puzzles but rings, cables and a covering. Hard to
explain.
http://www.allhatnocattle.net/Bush%20chinese%20finger.jpg

F.

Ian Ford

Feb 26, 2009, 3:01:56 PM2/26/09
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I think this idea has a lot of merit and I haven't seen it before.
Self-adjusting active-suspension rings spaced say every 100' over
farmland, through mountains, whatever, and cars are a little over 200'
long. Then the whole thing is in a clear plastic tube. No sound barrier.
The maglev metal plates are in the vehicle, and the superconducting(?)
repulsive magnet is in each ring along with the magnetic acceleration
and (very important) energy recapture.

Rings with windmills on them to keep the cryogenics going? The vehicle
can be solar powered if the tube is clear, so no power transfer.

eph

Feb 26, 2009, 3:34:20 PM2/26/09
to transport-innovators
Yes, it's outlandish, that's why it's "just an idea".

Sound barrier? If the thing is in an evacuated tube, does sound
travel?

I'm not sure a clear cover would be beneficial, at 1,000 mph all those
posts and hoops flashing by might induce epileptic fits.

Wouldn't permanent magnets be more efficient - either on the vehicles
or the "rings"? A voice coil would disrupt the magnetic field as the
vehicle approaches and leaves (so it doesn't pull and push and create
vibration), it would also do the EMS. Combining Solar and wind seems
unlikely to be beneficial as placement will likely be less than
optimal.

F.

Rober...@aol.com

Feb 26, 2009, 3:38:07 PM2/26/09
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ian, but...
No maglev, no evacuating the tube, no tubes at all.. We have better than a ..23 cd vs .69 for the German ICE.
No Air Locks or pressurized cabins. Why lift the vehicle and then have another systems to push it? Steel wheels, rollers will do both.  Although I reserves the right to use magnets later.  Its the KISS method, keep it simple stu...

Windwills and capacitors, sure, but I'm not putting them in the pictures, yet.
Thanks,
Robert Pulliam
Tubular Rail

Jerry Schneider

Feb 26, 2009, 6:37:01 PM2/26/09
At 12:34 PM 2/26/2009, you wrote:

>Yes, it's outlandish, that's why it's "just an idea".
>
>Sound barrier? If the thing is in an evacuated tube, does sound
>travel?
>
>I'm not sure a clear cover would be beneficial, at 1,000 mph all those
>posts and hoops flashing by might induce epileptic fits.

Not to worry - a clear cover would not stay clear very long with all the
coal dust from China settling on it, 24/7