Skytraxprt video - working bench model - no contact info provided

Jerry Schneider

Feb 18, 2012, 5:13:53 PM2/18/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Anybody know who built this working bench PRT model? I don't find a website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8fTutZLyG4

Jack Slade

Feb 18, 2012, 6:10:01 PM2/18/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry:  That was my bench model.  I once had a website,  but my server actually deleted it when they changed over to do their mail through Yahoo,  and my backup disc had gotten lost.
I try to explain to people that this was my first attempt.  I should not built it with wood,  but an illness forced me to cut corners.  The real guideway was planned to be half the width of the cars.  It looks like crap.  However,  if you time the arrivals and departures at that little platform,  you will find it does something that nothing else can....about 8 per minuite.

You may even see a little collision there,  from a picture where I was trying to see what would happen if I sent 2 cars into a station built for only one.  The person who made the video for me was told not to use it,  but he thought it was "cute".  Free help,  so I suppose I shouldn't complain.  He also strayed from the dialogue I had written.

I had hoped peoplke would realize that this was just a bench model,  and that the eventual product would not look like this,  but would operate this way.  However,  most do not.  The cars in the model were manually controlled,  and a computer would do better.

Jack Slade

--- On Sat, 2/18/12, Jerry Schneider <j...@peak.org> wrote:
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.

badger

Feb 20, 2012, 9:31:07 PM2/20/12
to transport-innovators
what scale were they? could you make them in H O scale?(1:87th) it
could be a different sort of railroad model.Atlas or Bachman could
produce them. it would generate intresr in the full scale modeld,the
ones you REALLY eant to sell
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to transport-innova...@googlegroups.com.

Jack Slade

Feb 20, 2012, 9:56:32 PM2/20/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
The bench model is 1/12 scale.  No,  I don't want to try 1:87.....cars would be 1.3 inches long,  track less than 1/2 inch wide,  and the small parts almost too small for me to see and assemble.
I suppose a toy company could mould all the parts from plastic,  but that is an undertaking that I can't handle,  for various reasons.

Jack Slade

Richard Gronning

Feb 21, 2012, 2:10:21 PM2/21/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting!
I've advocated a scale model as a marketing tool since '98. I REALLY
like Jack's model, even though he says it was on-the-cheap. I also saw
his reply. Skyweb has a scale model, but I don't know at what scale.
Jack's 1/12 seems in the ball park. The Skyweb scale model was meant
more to try out their control system.

Because of the electronics, I don't think that a scale model could be
built at such a small scale, unless it was just for viewing. In order to
be effective, it would have to operate. I/we came across LIMs that are
made for house curtains. This could be done with a fully operational
model, but larger than 1/87.

Would you be interested in gathering more specs on cost? The engineer
that built the Skyweb model said that if it were to be accurately built,
he could see an expense of $50,000 to $80,000. I'd be willing to try to
organize CPRT groups for the effort. I think that some funds could come
from grants. Maybe Podcar might be interested...(??)

Dick

kirston henderson

Feb 21, 2012, 3:18:33 PM2/21/12
on 2/21/12 1:10 PM, Richard Gronning at rgro...@gofast.am wrote:

> Interesting!
> I've advocated a scale model as a marketing tool since '98. I REALLY
> like Jack's model, even though he says it was on-the-cheap. I also saw
> his reply. Skyweb has a scale model, but I don't know at what scale.
> Jack's 1/12 seems in the ball park. The Skyweb scale model was meant
> more to try out their control system.

We built an operating, radio-controlled 1/5th scale model of our base
vehicle plus a rather crude guideway very early in the development process
to prove that our steering and switching concepts were satisfactory. We
used this operating scale model to perform validation testing of our
concepts. I have forgotten how much we spent, but it was several hundred
hours of engineering and shop time. It was well worth the effort.

Kirston Henderson
MegaRail® Transportation Systems

eph

Feb 21, 2012, 3:24:58 PM2/21/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
1/12 scale matches up with 5" gauge (railroad) so there should be a good supply of scenery and parts.
http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/products.asp?SCALE=1/12

I don't know if 1/12 scale would sell much (there are enthusiasts), but it might make an interesting showpiece and demonstrate feasibility better than a computer model does (in some respects).  Maybe a travelling road show with a full scale cabin to mock up the user interface?  Urbanaut had a scale model also before it was built.

F.

Jack Slade

Feb 21, 2012, 4:18:30 PM2/21/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
This is more like what I did with my model.  I had spent a lot of years putting ideas together,  but you can do this forever without knowing that it will really work as planned.  The scale model was more for ME than anybody else,  just to make sure it worked as planned.

If I had not done this I would have been making claims that I was not really sure of.  If an engineering model works,  and engineer who is worth much can build it bigger,  much nicer looking,  and maybe even better.  You can learn from the model just where improvements can be made.

Jack Slade

kirston henderson

Feb 21, 2012, 4:27:08 PM2/21/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

Jerry Roane

Feb 21, 2012, 6:20:43 PM2/21/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

They can learn from my pain.  I built a 1/8th scale model which is a couple inches longer than they let you sneak onto an airplane without jumping through hoops.  I have managed to always get my model into the airplane but I have to be persuasive.  If it were a guitar it would be totally legit but I don't have the music industry pulling for me.  Guitars gets special dispensations on commercial airliners.  My suggestion is pick a scale that is as big as you can fit into the carry on limits.  Too small and it does not have the visual presence and too big and you will fight the airlines and the TSA on every trip.  1/12 scale does give you a lot of pre-made objects but it might be too small to have enough impact.  1/8th scale is Barbie and Ken by the way but again I pay the price for it being non-standard luggage.    Letting the luggage beasts get a hold of it is horrible.  The TSA unpacks it then tosses all your crap on the paint job then they slam the suitcase before the luggage conveyor belt slams it against the landing bumper on the carousel.  Flying has become such a pain with all these processes added to it.

Jerry Roane

WITEC__Austin_2011__21.jpg

eph

Feb 21, 2012, 6:44:55 PM2/21/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Those are good points.  I had travelling road show in mind (truck full of demos).  I guess Silicon Graphics have more money to pull that sort of thing off - rolling show and tell/sell.

1/10 scale is easiest with the metric system (just shift the decimal).

F.

badger

Feb 23, 2012, 11:36:14 PM2/23/12
to transport-innovators
The electronics aren't the problem you think it is.The big thing in
model railroad control nowadays is Digital Command Control (D C
C)which sends control signals through the rails to decoders mounted in
the engines/cars.There are decoders designed to even fit N
scale( 1:122 nd ) scale equipment.so electronic control of H scale P
R T shouldn't be a problem.
Also,there have been toy trains almost as long as real trains.the
first model railroad was built in northern New Jersey in the late
1820's ,with 1:1 scale equipment! It was built to prove the usefulness
of the railed road concept.It included grades,since reality included
grades.So called "toy trains" have been instrumental in inspiring many
to take to the raills,even to earn a living.
The reason i specified H O (1:87 th scale)is because that is the most
popular of the railroad modeling scales,and would be a natural to
include in already built layoutrs.or even as features in themselves.

ins almost as long as real trainsOn Feb 21, 2:10 pm, Richard Gronning
> >> I had hoped peoplke would realize that this was just a bench model,  and that the eventual product would not look like this,  but would operate this way.  However,  most do not.  The cars in the model were manually controlled,  and a computer would do better.- Hide quoted text -

Mark Townend

Feb 24, 2012, 7:15:56 AM2/24/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
It should be possible to use HO 1:87 scale train mechanics under a much larger scale car body, to represent skyweb express type narrow enclosed guideway.

There are self contained underfloor motor units available as shown here -

http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Kindest Regards,
--
Mark Townend
email: ma...@townend.me

On Fri 24/02/12 04:36 , badger <bad...@tellurian.com> wrote:

> The electronics aren't the problem you think it is.The big thing in
> model railroad control nowadays is Digital Command Control (D C
> C)which sends control signals through the rails to decoders mounted in
> the engines/cars.There are decoders designed to even fit N
> scale( 1:122 nd ) scale equipment.so electronic control of H scale P
> R T shouldn't be a problem.
> Also,there have been toy trains almost as long as real trains.the
> first model railroad was built in northern New Jersey in the late
> 1820's ,with 1:1 scale equipment! It was built to prove the usefulness
> of the railed road concept.It included grades,since reality included
> grades.So called "toy trains" have been instrumental in inspiring many
> to take to the raills,even to earn a living.
> The reason i specified H O (1:87 th scale)is because that is the most
> popular of the railroad modeling scales,and would be a natural to
> include in already built layoutrs.or even as features in themselves.
>
> ins almost as long as real trainsOn Feb 21, 2:10 pm, Richard Gronning

> server actually deleted it when they changed over to do their mail through
> Yahoo,  and my backup disc had gotten lost.
> should not built it with wood,  but an illness forced me to cut corners.
>  The real guideway was planned to be half the width of the cars.  It
> looks like crap.  However,  if you time the arrivals and departures at
> that little platform,  you will find it does something that nothing else
> can....about 8 per minuite.

> was trying to see what would happen if I sent 2 cars into a station built
> for only one.  The person who made the video for me was told not to use
> it,  but he thought it was "cute".  Free help,  so I suppose I
> shouldn't complain.  He also strayed from the dialogue I had written.

>  and that the eventual product would not look like this,  but would
> operate this way.  However,  most do not.  The cars in the model were
> manually controlled,  and a computer would do better.- Hide quoted text -

> --

> http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en [1].

> This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
> http://www.netintelligence.com/email [2]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> http://webmail.easyspace.com/parse.php?redirect=http://groups.google.com/gr
> oup/transport-innovators%3Fhl%3Den[2]
> http://webmail.easyspace.com/parse.php?redirect=http://www.netintelligence.
> com/email

Richard Gronning

Feb 24, 2012, 11:29:42 AM2/24/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I remember the wiring of circuit boards, etc with Taxi 2000 scale model.
This may be simplified, from what you say. (???)
Scale is interesting. I asked a person with our CPRT group who worked on
this project what the scale was. He said, " Slot car standard - 1:24."
Then I got to thinking about what I was looking at. Slot car chassis are
7" - 8". This is for a car that is maybe 16' long.
The Taxi 2000 vehicle that it is supposed to represent is only 9' long.
That would give a scale of 1:13.5. (It's close to 1:12.)
So 1:87 would make a realistic scale of 1:49.

We ran into the fact that there are Linear Induction Motors (LIMs) for
curtain rods for houses.
Could be an interesting project.

Dick

Richard Gronning

Feb 24, 2012, 11:43:17 AM2/24/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, but what does, "Underfloor" mean? I've never worked on models.
If a scale model project were to be made, it should be representing
actual systems, possibly 3 or 4.
Several systems use running surfaces mounted on tubes. Vectus, Raytheon,
and Modutram come to mind. This type of guideway has also been used for
roller coasters.
I think that a guideway could be made with sch 40 PVC plumbing pipe.

Dick

badger

Feb 24, 2012, 2:41:46 PM2/24/12
to transport-innovators
1:48 thg scalle is American O guage
> > include in already built layoutrs.or even as features in themselves.- Hide quoted text -

Richard Gronning

Feb 24, 2012, 3:07:56 PM2/24/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Which means that there are to-scale cars, buildings, trees, etc.
Right? ...if it can be done...(??)

Jack Slade

Feb 24, 2012, 4:36:24 PM2/24/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I don't think I ever said that such a scale could not be done,  just that I don't care to try it because the parts are so small.  For example:  These little train bogies look like they have a motor that is only about 5/8 inch long.  I could have used a lot of those in my system except that the rest of the bogie was useless to me.  I would have to build tiny little reduction gear-boxes, to give me what I needed. I had to this for my model,  but with slightly larger parts.

Skyweb Express would be the same:  Use the motor,  but build your own bogies with 8 tiny rubber wheels and the appropriate reduction gearing.  That can be done,  but not by me, with the equipment that I now have and the eyesight that is no longer perfect,  due to age, etc.
Jack Slade

> This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
> http://www.netintelligence.com/email [2]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> http://webmail.easyspace.com/parse.php?redirect=http://groups.google.com/gr
> oup/transport-innovators%3Fhl%3Den[2]
> http://webmail.easyspace.com/parse.php?redirect=http://www.netintelligence.
> com/email

Richard Gronning

Feb 24, 2012, 4:47:27 PM2/24/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
We don't have to use rotary motors if we use the LIMs for curtain rods.
We don't have to use the Skyweb format. We can put the mini-LIMs in the track, Vectus-style.

Jack Slade

Feb 24, 2012, 4:55:53 PM2/24/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

Correct,  but deosn't Skyweb, or whatever it is now called,  use a little 8-wheel bogie enclosed within the guideway to support and move the vehicle?  A scale model should duplicate whatever the real system is to be,  shouldn't it?

Jack Slade

Feb 24, 2012, 7:40:53 PM2/24/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
It could.
I'm leaning towards NOT trying to duplicate Skyweb. Instead, using 3-4 development ideas.

Right now, off the top of my head,
  • Vehicle sort of like Skyweb - Modutram - Skycab. They're similar.
  • Guideway sort of like Vectus - Raytheon - Modutram. They're tubes. For a scale model, sch40 PVC.
  • Motors in-track LIMs like Vectus. The home curtain rod LIMs would do, I think.
  • Controls are a BIG ???
  • Maybe 3-5 stations.
  • Full sized Skyweb - Vectus type stanchions where people could actually program a vehicle and watch it move from in front of them to a chosen destination.

It would have to look and act like a real PRT system. If it had features like a number of systems, we wouldn't be promoting just one system.
Set up in a mall, it would certainly draw attention. Politicians couldn't say that it wouldn't work.

Dick

Bruff

Feb 24, 2012, 7:57:26 PM2/24/12
to transport-innovators
This is a test.

Jack Slade

Feb 24, 2012, 7:59:15 PM2/24/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Politicians couldn't say it won't work?  Of course they will.  Politicians will say anything stupid that serves their purpose.  They learned a trick from "Mein Kampf".....namely,  "if I tell a lie,  tell it often and loud enough,  eventually 85% of the people accept it as true".  Not an exact quote,  but close enough.

Jack Slade

Michael Weidler

Apr 4, 2012, 2:55:42 PM4/4/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Umm, guys, you're missing the fact that HO is 1:87 of a *LOCOMOTIVE* - which is considerably bigger than a PRT vehicle. His 1:12 model looks to be the equivalent of HO sized track judging from his video. If he made his vehicle 1:87 scale, he would probably need to N scale track and accessories.

Jack - your system doesn't use wheels does it? The cars are blocks of wood you said. Are those things which look like rollers in the middle of the track what propels the cars?

We don't have to use rotary motors if we use the LIMs for curtain rods.
We don't have to use the Skyweb format. We can put the mini-LIMs in the track, Vectus-style.

Michael Weidler

Apr 7, 2012, 10:58:48 AM4/7/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jack - you attach your body to the bogie. As long as the bogie has sufficient power to move your body at the desired speed, there should be no problem. As for rubber tires, I would just glue a rubber washer to the plastic wheels which are already attached to the bogie.

My system doesn't use wheels.  As for skyweb Express (Taxi 2000?)  the bogie has to fit inside the mostly-enclosed guideway.

Jack Slade

From: Mark Townend <ma...@townend.me>
To: transport-...@googlegroups.com
Date: Friday, February 24, 2012, 12:15 PM

It should be possible to use HO 1:87 scale train mechanics under a much larger scale car body, to represent skyweb express type narrow enclosed guideway.There are self contained underfloor motor units available as shown here - http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1Kindest Regards,-- Mark Townendemail: ma...@townend.metel: 07817 297 295On Fri 24/02/12 04:36 , badger <bad...@tellurian.com> wrote:> The electronics aren't the problem you think it is.The big thing in> model railroad control nowadays is Digital Command Control (D C> C)which sends control signals through the rails to decoders mounted in> the engines/cars.There are decoders designed to even fit N> scale( 1:122 nd ) scale equipment.so electronic control of H scale P> R T shouldn't be a problem.> Also,there have been toy trains almost as long as real trains.the> first model railroad was built in northern New Jersey in the late> 1820's ,with 1:1 scale equipment! It was built to prove the usefulness> of the railed road concept.It included grades,since reality included> grades.So called "toy trains" have been instrumental in inspiring many> to take to the raills,even to earn a living.> The reason i specified H O (1:87 th scale)is because that is the most> popular of the railroad modeling scales,and would be a natural to> include in already built layoutrs.or even as features in themselves.> > ins almost as long as real trainsOn Feb 21, 2:10 pm, Richard Gronning> wrote:> > Interesting!> > I've advocated a scale model as a marketing tool since '98. I REALLY> > like Jack's model, even though he says it was on-the-cheap. I also saw> > his reply.  Skyweb has a scale model, but I don't know at what scale.> > Jack's 1/12 seems in the ball park. The Skyweb scale model was meant> > more to try out their control system.> >> > Because of the electronics, I don't think that a scale model could be> > built at such a small scale, unless it was just for viewing. In order> to> > be effective, it would have to operate. I/we came across LIMs that are> > made for house curtains. This could be done with a fully operational> > model, but larger than 1/87.> >> > Would you be interested in gathering more specs on cost? The engineer> > that built the Skyweb model said that if it were to be accurately> built,> > he could see an expense of $50,000 to $80,000. I'd be willing to try to> > organize CPRT groups for the effort. I think that some funds could come> > from grants. Maybe Podcar might be interested...(??)> >> > Dick> >> > On 2/20/2012 8:31 PM, badger wrote:> >> >> >> > > what scale were they? could you make them in H O scale?(1:87th) it> > > could be a different sort of railroad model.Atlas or Bachman could> > > produce them. it would generate intresr in the full scale>  modeld,the> > > ones you REALLY eant to sell> >> > > On Feb 18, 6:10 pm, Jack Slade  wrote:> > >> Jerry:  That was my bench model.  I once had a website,  but my> server actually deleted it when they changed over to do their mail through> Yahoo,  and my backup disc had gotten lost.> > >> I try to explain to people that this was my first attempt.  I> should not built it with wood,  but an illness forced me to cut corners.>  The real guideway was planned to be half the width of the cars.  It> looks like crap.  However,  if you time the arrivals and departures at> that little platform,  you will find it does something that nothing else> can....about 8 per minuite.> >> > >> You may even see a little collision there,  from a picture where I> was trying to see what would happen if I sent 2 cars into a station built> for only one.  The person who made the video for me was told not to use> it,  but he thought it was "cute".  Free help,  so I suppose I> shouldn't complain.  He also strayed from the dialogue I had written.> >> > >> I had hoped peoplke would realize that this was just a bench model,>  and that the eventual product would not look like this,  but would> operate this way.  However,  most do not.  The cars in the model were> manually controlled,  and a computer would do better.- Hide quoted text -> >> > - Show quoted text -> > --> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups> "transport-innovators" group.> To post to this group, send email to> transport-...@googlegroups.com.> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to> transport-innovators+unsub...@googlegroups.com.> For more options, visit this group at> http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en [1].> > ______________________________________________> This email has been scanned by Netintelligence> http://www.netintelligence.com/email [2]> > > > Links:> ------> [1]> http://webmail.easyspace.com/parse.php?redirect=http://groups.google.com/gr> oup/transport-innovators%3Fhl%3Den[2]> http://webmail.easyspace.com/parse.php?redirect=http://www.netintelligence.> com/email> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.To post to this group, send email to transport-...@googlegroups.com.To unsubscribe from this group, send email to transport-innovators+unsub...@googlegroups.com.For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en.
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.To post to this group, send email to transport-...@googlegroups.com.To unsubscribe from this group, send email to transport-innova...@googlegroups.com.For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en.
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.To post to this group, send email to transport-...@googlegroups.com.To unsubscribe from this group, send email to transport-innova...@googlegroups.com.For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en.

Jack Slade

Apr 7, 2012, 4:57:37 PM4/7/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  All wheels are powered separately...the "belt" is attached to the vehicle base,  allowing all vehicles too move independantly of the others.   It is just the reverse of how automobiles operate...here the "road" propels the vehicles.  This is what gets me away from the main drawback of regular conveyors,  everything on them having to move at the same speed,  and not being able to exit except at the end.

In actual use,  if you visit factories there are all kinds of conveyors that do not use belts,  often to move products that are already packaged in boxes.

Jack Slade

Jack Slade