technologies best for HSR feeders?

0 vue

Lee S. Walker

non lue,
22 mai 2009, 20:47:1322/05/2009
à transport-innovators
I am thinking of a campaign to promote IT for local systems to connect
with the planned CA HSR route, to make it more accessible to local
communities without needing parking garages.

I would like to promote all the emerging technologies that would be
competitive for routes 3-5 miles, with most passengers traveling the
complete line but also several stations in between. It calls for
speed and low operating/construction costs.

Once there is a concise list of the best possible technologies, HSR
advocates will hopefully start pushing IT funding to make HSR more
likely to succeed. The probem with the UW list is that it is too
broad and includes too many unrealistic or too inefficient
technologies. I am accused of advocating monorail by publicizing that
list.
(I am heavily biased against rubber tires unless it is very fast)
-Lee

Jerry Roane

non lue,
22 mai 2009, 22:52:3022/05/2009
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Lee

TriTrack guideway can be built to feed a high speed rail line.  We have proposed this very concept to the city of Wuxi China.  We have an animation of that rail station on DVD.  In the video the passenger uses his cell phone to find his way through the station.  The high speed train goes down one side and the TriTrack guideways go down the opposite side.  This would link a 400 mph high speed train to a 180 mph feeder.  The combination would be able to replace domestic flights for when jet fuel gets too expensive or scarce.  I was at the high speed rail conference and each city was there trying to talk the planners into putting the rail line through their community.  By adding TriTrack hundreds of communities can be a part rather than just a few as it currently is planned.  To keep the high speed train high speed feeders make much more sense.  If the train has to stop at every town rather than every tenth town it won't be high speed any more.

Our patent allows for one traction tire or linear motors instead of the traction tire.  The most energy efficient version will win in practice.  It remains to be seen if there is a need to eliminate the traction tire at 180 mph.  Obviously slower speeds are fine with a traction tire rolling on aluminum extrusion.  Linear motors that use the extrusion as the reaction plate are not usually as efficient as a regular round motor but technology marches forward constantly so we leave it open whether to use rubber traction or magnetic traction at our speed.  Parking garages that are not attached to your home do not make any sense to me.

We need to be funded and jumping on the HSR bandwagon may be necessary in today's political climate.  Whatever it takes to get one built is fine because once high speed feeders are built the value of the high speed rail is the next thing to question.  Cost, energy and pollution of high speed rail is worse than the feeder system and the feeder system parallels the HSR network duplicating the connectivity.  If passengers pay for the usage the high speed rail portion may atrophy.  If the economics are tweaked by government then who knows what will evolve?

Jerry Roane

Walter Brewer

non lue,
23 mai 2009, 09:37:3723/05/2009
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
As noted many times I'm agaist PRT emphasis on the feeder funtion for mass
transit. Simply it prolongs use or worse expansion of the mode we should be
working to replace.
Notice the word "emphasis". I agree there may be opportunities to initiate
PRT development in this fashion, or better for access to or within office
parks, industrial or education campuses, etc.
Particularly for airports as a means for personal transportion from many
regional origins directly to terminals, or better to gate areas.
As for HSR, with perhaps a couple limited USA applications, hopefully it
will fade away.

Walt Brewer

Lee S. Walker

non lue,
23 mai 2009, 13:36:2923/05/2009
à transport-innovators
I agree that HSR is not good enough. But the campaign for IT feeders
can be jump-started from the support for HSR. When the advantages of
the feeder systems are publicized, we have a better chance that IT
will be built instead, hopefully sooner rather than later.

There is nothing to lose but effort, because the U.S. is quickly
being economically destroyed if it does not step on the gas for IT.

I think that the #1 advantage of IT systems will be construction
cost, such as less than $50m/mile. It should be faster than autos,
like at least 25 mph. (Some international cities could go with slow,
but that much slower than an auto would be a hindrance.

Thank-you all for the nominations so far.

-Lee

Dennis Manning

non lue,
23 mai 2009, 14:14:4623/05/2009
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Lee,

What do you mean by IT. What systems would that include? PRT (DM and or SM)
, GRT, BRT ?

Dennis