Shweeb human-powered PRT gets a $1M Google Grant

31 vues

Brad Templeton

non lue,
25 sept. 2010, 02:50:5525/09/2010
à transport-innovators
Looks like the first real PRT (ie. with more than 3 stops) to be built
may be pedal powered. Google just decided they are giving their $1M
transit innovation grant to Shweeb, which says they will be building a
system with it.

Anybody know the cost per km that Shweeb is estimating? Because their
track and vehicles are the lightest around I presume they are hoping
for something decent.

Jerry Schneider

non lue,
25 sept. 2010, 11:20:1425/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com

Ask them: http://shweeb.com/

- Jerry Schneider -
Innovative Transportation Technologies
http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans

Chris Xithalis

non lue,
25 sept. 2010, 14:07:1525/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
If you ask me this is not PRT since it lacks a fundamental element: Computer control.

Human powered pedals are not exactly the green equivalent of electric motors. They are far less capable when it comes to fast responsive and precise motion, an absolute necessity for PRT.

How do these vehicles avoid collision at merge points?
site: "Pods that want to merge onto another line ascend a conveyor (2) to a higher position so that as soon as the main line is clear, a gate (3) releases the pod and gravity accelerates it to the speed of the new line."
Does that mean the merging vehicle will have to stop first? Who controls the vehicle? The passenger? A computer?

How do they dispatch empty vehicles to places where they are needed? The site states:
"To maintain a balanced supply, the network staff transport the empty pods back to the residential areas. This is possible because a single staff member can move multiple pods. In the evening the flow reverses."
The problem of course is not whether a single person can move many vehicles but whether a human controlled system can react fast enough to demand fluctuations. In a 'conventional' PRT system, depots always have vehicles ready to dispatch to nearby stations that need them in seconds. Even then it may take several minutes for the vehicles to reach the stations. I can't imagine how this could be done with schweeb in less than 30 minutes. The only possible solution to this is really long queues with empty vehicles at each station but that doesn't seem to be the case:
site: "The station measures only the size of five standard car parking spaces"

site: "Given that it takes about 30 seconds for someone to board a Shweeb, a station with one platform of 10 pod lengths could release 10 pods every 30 seconds."
Combining the above statements, a staff member will arrive at a heavily used station with 10 vehicles every 30 seconds (assuming that incoming vehicles are much less that outgoing). Human control only. Is this a joke?

site FAQ section:
"Don't you think people wearing skirts or kilts might be concerned about privacy / dignity?
We would suggest wearing shorts or trousers for most comfort and peace of mind! In future, pods may have one-way tinted windows so one can see out but not in - this would address the issue directly."
This one was really funny. Do they really think the've solved all technical issues and decided to take care of this? It seems that THIS problem arose at their test/amusement park facility where only a single vehicle runs on each guideway. So they assumed that if THIS is solved, running hundrends of schweebs in a guideway will be a piece of cake...
On the other hand (sigh) they got 1 million $ for this... and lots of press attention...  oh dear...

A general note: It is very easy to get fascinated about a new exclusive guideway system when comparing it against the congested road system. It doesn't matter how bad the "new system" is, it WILL be faster if your vehicle is the only one that travels on it. The real question of course is, can you make your "new system" to handle efficiently in a single guideway many more (or at least the same number of) vehicles than a single road lane ? This is mostly a control related issue yet schweeb only seems to care about energy efficiency, the absolute god of the incoming "green post petroleum era".

Don't get me wrong, schweeb is a fascinating idea and I would really love to ride it in an amusemnt park. But in its current form it definitely doesn't have what it takes to be of any value in a congested city as the videos and articles suggest.

Chris Xithalis

Palle R Jensen

non lue,
25 sept. 2010, 14:43:2025/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
How can this project be funded in a group of ideas with the headline:
Drive innovation in public transport ???

It is one of the most individual projects you can imagine.

OK, RUF was one of the 6 ideas in the same group, but at least RUF will
probably be public transport in the first phase :-)

Palle R Jensen

WALTER BREWER

non lue,
25 sept. 2010, 15:02:2425/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Palle,

And what is wrong about Public Transport that is for individuals?

Walt Brewer

Brad Templeton

non lue,
25 sept. 2010, 16:09:2825/09/2010
à transport-innovators

I gotta say I'm surprised at the negatives. Somebody gets some
success with a system and the reaction is "It's doesn't match my
vision" and to be critical.

Shweeb contains a large number of elements of most visions of PRT.
Inexpensive overhead guideways, Personal transit (faster than typical
public transit if their claim that unfit individuals can maintain
25kph is true) and offline stations, pod bikes etc. This is an
opportunity to expose the public to those concepts and test them out
in various ways. A chance to learn about public reaction to
guideways and other elements of the system. A chance to learn if
super-lightweight track can indeed be built and installed at low
prices.

Shweeb seems to offer a number of interesting "gateway" concepts that
will be very interesting to see used in practice. Since the vehicles
are the lightest possible in a PRT system, the track can be the
smallest with the least visual intrusion. Tremendous lessons will be
learned from this. The public will perceive the system as the
greenest possible system as well (though in practice human energy is
not that CO2 efficient because of the large amount of fossil fuel used
in our food production.) The question of whether computers can
safely manage the vehicles with short headways is eliminated, and yet
it seems that people will be possibly be able to do things like read
or even watch portable video devices on the longer stretches, since
they claim collisions at track speed will be OK, though that's yet to
be seen. They expect people to form trains where the people in the
back will certainly be able to watch their videos, it's more debatable
about the person in front. Attention is needed for changing lines and
stops.

I do think that they might be wise to develop a small electric module
for use in empty vehicle returns, though their plan of using human
staff at first is simple and elegant, if perhaps not scalable. They
require no power infrastructure on the guideways except perhaps to
light them which can be done with low voltage and no brushes, which is
again vastly simpler and safer than systems which must send hundreds
of kw down lines and into vehicles.

I don't know if it's a long term solution but I think it's very
interesting as an intermediate concept. Where it does well and where
it doesn't will be very interesting results for all to learn from.
Can it divert a lot of traffic from the roads? I think it actually
could do that in certain situations, such as a high traffic corridor
at rush hour, if they add a very small amount of automation and
motorization for empty vehicle moves. To keep batteries small, you
would have one push vehicle push a train of empty pods down the track
in the anticommute direction, and a mechanism to then deposit the
number of needed pods at stations. Possibly the main pusher could
just split N cars off onto the siding and another machine (that lives
at the station and possibly can hook onto vehicles from above or below
for individual control) could put them in their proper place in the
station. I see a few other methods but this is a 2nd stage concept.

Jack Slade

non lue,
25 sept. 2010, 17:07:0225/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Walt, I want to answer that.  First, if public money is used then it should be for something that most members of the public could be able to use. Secondly, build this for bicycle riders and I might have to pay to move it to implement PRT, or that street will do without PRT.
I  can't ride a bike anymore, and I know that you can't either.  Is this where tax money to go? What about the wheelchair accessibility that they are going to demand from ME?

St Petersburg, FL, has an old rail line converted to a bike path, at a cost of many millions.  Once I even saw 2 bicycles on it at the same time.  Money should be spent where it is useful.

Jack Slade

Jack Slade

----- Original Message ----- From: "Palle R Jensen" <p...@ruf.dk>
> How can this project be funded in a group of ideas with the headline:
> Drive innovation in public transport ???
>
> It is one of the most individual projects you can imagine.
>
> OK, RUF was one of the 6 ideas in the same group, but at least RUF will probably be public transport in the first phase :-)
>
> Palle R Jensen
>

> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.

Jay Andress

non lue,
25 sept. 2010, 17:11:1125/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
I also think that this is a positive development for PRT. It doesn't take much imagination to add a motor to the vehicles. As a matter of fact think ADA. There actually may be a requirement that there be motors/ADA compliant units. Actually this whole system violates ADA.  Come to think about it this appears to be a major oversight by Google...how about that I'M SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!!!!!

                                                     Jay Andress

Benke

non lue,
25 sept. 2010, 17:27:0325/09/2010
à transport-innovators
I would be hard pressed to see the public accepting this system. One
thing is that the fit would like to go faster, but get held up by
slower people ahead. The empty vehicle management does not seem at all
realistic, as Chris points out. Another issue would be the bumpers.
They claim a 1.2m deceleration stretch from 25 km/h is a mild bump,
but my calculator says it is 2g! I'd call that a project killer
(although the person involved would probably live).

As for Brad's comment I think that a deficient system like this being
realized does not help PRT gain acceptance. I must add that the no-
video remark of his would apply to all riders, as they wold have to
mind their next diverge where they have to pull the lever left or
right, there is no guarantee that succeding vehicles are aimed at the
same destination as the leader, is there?

Apart from this I think the manual pedaling has a clear advantage as
it feels like forming trains would be safe, thus creating a higgh
capacity. If my 2g number is accurate (please check, it's getting late
here), it is however not safe at all.

When it comes to fossil energy use, wasn't it Brad himself who
calculated the oil use for walking and biking and found it
surprisingly high? Granted, these would use less than biking, but far
from zero, as claimed.

The vehicles being so easy to pedal leads to my final remark: It would
have to be a very high pedal rate for 25 km/h if not even a fit
athlete would be able to go say 35 km/h. As the a is squared compared
to the v this would mean almost a 4g crash into the unsuspecting
grandmother taking a brake in front...

Apart from this I can say that myself and Palle and maybe more on this
list with realistic suggestions entered into the competition were
disappointed to be scrapped in favor of such a toy project.
> > transport-innova...@googlegroups.com<transport-innovators%2Bun­subs...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en.- Dölj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

Jerry Schneider

non lue,
25 sept. 2010, 17:37:2325/09/2010
At 12:02 PM 9/25/2010, WALTER BREWER wrote:
>Palle,
>
>And what is wrong about Public Transport that is for individuals?

Could it be a lack of capacity, in the minds of most people?

Jerry Roane

non lue,
25 sept. 2010, 17:47:1625/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jay

I am with you here.  I think this is a good step.  Once it is used a little people will figure out they can drop a small motor on the pedal assembly and get where they want to go without all the sweat and underarm odor from pedaling.  My family has four stationary bicycles that I can think of.  Each of them has been sitting idle for over fifteen years.  My niece visited my mother a while back and tossed two of those bicycles and my mother (82) came unglued because the bicycles hit the trash to clear them out of the spare bathroom.  My mother at 82 thinks that some day she will want to ride those stationary bicycles for exercise.  Probably she will not but she was irritated at her granddaughter over them.   Point being we all talk about exercise but after the equipment purchase we don't use the stuff.  My wife hangs her coats on our $900 treadmill handlebars.  She had to have it so we bought it but it was used for a season then nothing.  With a guideway system in place it won't take long for them to expand its capabilities and add electric power with a battery pack.  The next evolution will be to have a series of batteries all charged up sitting at the entrance.  After some practical use they will add air conditioning and before you know it it will evolve to either Monomobile, MicroWay, RUF or TriTrack-like systems.  I need to check my patents because the Shweeb looks amazingly like TriTrack in shape and operation.  I thought they were out of Australia so I never looked too hard at their setup.  I did not pay to keep my rights in Australia.

I think if you try to hang your hat on the ADA you won't get very far.  All it will take is one uphill climb on a guideway that is not dead level and the Shweeb will get either linear motor assists (TriTrack) or pedal power assist for inclines.

Jerry Roane

Jerry Roane

non lue,
25 sept. 2010, 17:57:5325/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry

This is where the sales job has to come in.  I remember when Bush II was getting hammered about no weapons of mass destruction.  If you look at that, there are 1.3 billion who identify themselves with being Muslim.  There are 1 billion who identify themselves as Christian.  (round numbers) If 1.3 billion Muslims went on a fight with sticks, bee bee guns and rocks would not that collectively be a weapon of mass destruction?  Public Transport to me just means the public paid for it and the public intends to use it.  A million individual cars would equal one car with a million seats right?

What we have to do is alter the mindset for sure.  What we have ain't workin'.

Jerry Roane

Dennis Manning

non lue,
26 sept. 2010, 00:40:2326/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Biggest flaw is simply that the percentage of people willing to use bicycles
to go to and fro is too small to justify the infrastructure cost even if
less than PRT infrastructure.

As to Brad's comments that it is a test bed for PRT systems - nonsense. It
lacks too many PRT characteristics.

Yes, it's posted at www.prtnz.com
(in New Zealand) but I've not been
able to get it run continuously and smoothly - don't know why. It's
under "videos" on page 2.
I've asked them about it but have had no response yet. It's only 1.18
minutes long.

Jerry

Kirston Henderson

non lue,
27 sept. 2010, 17:05:2227/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry,

At our MicroWay top speed of 65-mph and ultimate maximum individual
vehicle spacing of approximately 50-feet under the future fully automated
mode, that 0.5-sec headway would be about correct.

Kirston Henderson
MegaRail® Transportation Systems

----------
>From: Jerry Schneider <j...@peak.org>
>To: transport-...@googlegroups.com
>Subject: Re: [t-i] Re: Visualizing capacity (was Re: Shweeb human-powered PRT

gets a $1M Google Grant

>Date: 27, Sep, 2010, 3:34 PM

Jerry Schneider

non lue,
27 sept. 2010, 17:35:0827/09/2010
At 02:05 PM 9/27/2010, you wrote:
>Jerry,
>
> At our MicroWay top speed of 65-mph and ultimate maximum individual
>vehicle spacing of approximately 50-feet under the future fully automated
>mode, that 0.5-sec headway would be about correct.

OK - if that is your intention, so be it. So far as I know, nobody
else currently has this intention nor has
anyone else actually done it with multiple full scale vehicles (with
the possible exception of Cabintaxi at their test track).
Do you mean "ultimate minimum individual spacing" instead of "maximum"?

I realize that high capacity PRT advocates say it is possible - and
acceptable for public service - but I think
it remains to be proven and should not be presented as anything more
than an intention or eventual possibility.
If I am wrong, I'd be pleased to be corrected.

Ken MacLeod

non lue,
27 sept. 2010, 17:47:3027/09/2010
à transport-innovators
On Sep 27, 3:34 pm, Jerry Schneider <j...@peak.org> wrote:

> Do the vehicles have 4 seats or do all departing vehicles have
> 4 passengers?

In that simulation, there's only one person embarking per vehicle.

> At 12:50 PM 9/27/2010, you wrote:
> >The acceleration and jerk are 0.125G (1.25m/s^2).  The animation is
> >running at 3X speed.
>
> What's the reason for that? Isn't that deceptive, since it's not
> indicated on the screen?

The stopwatch was intended to show real-time. Each tick is one minute
and there's 7 ticks (and an extra half-minute before the top tick).
The video on prtconsulting.com is scaled down from the original so the
ticks are harder to read. I've uploaded the original to the group
files,

http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators/web/transfer.mpeg

-- Ken

WALTER BREWER

non lue,
27 sept. 2010, 17:50:2427/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Isn't a more useful visualization and quantification of area capacities for
other modes,especially autos, and mass transit with transfers etc?

I've wondered about one small step is to rates systems in passenger-miles
per acre instead of per highway lane for example.

Walt Brewer
From: "eph" <rhaps...@yahoo.com>
To: "transport-innovators" <transport-...@googlegroups.com>

F.

--

eph

non lue,
30 sept. 2010, 12:17:3830/09/2010
à transport-innovators
By a significant number of attendants?

One attendant can move (say) 10 pods 25 km in 1 hour (divide by 2 for
the return trip unless faster means are used - public transport?) or
125 pods 1 km in 1 hour. $10 per hour means each pod costs 8 cents to
move 1 km. Rounding up to 10 cent per pod per km gives each attendant
$12.50 per hour.

Like I said, I don't know if it makes financial sense.

F.
> > MegaRail� Transportation Systems

Jerry Roane

non lue,
30 sept. 2010, 12:53:0330/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Kirston

What this discussion is about is what gets voted for and the reasoning behind the vote selection.  It is crucial that any system to be built is understood by the voters.  What I take away from the vote is people want a simple answer to complex problems.  To hock our wares we need to understand the mechanism and to some degree play to the desire that caused this award of some bucks to the bicycle choice.

The simplistic answer is to provide Roane Inventions invented Cubicleexercise pedals inside the car.  I spent a couple years developing this video game exercise system for a customer.  He thought he could combine office cubical workers with in-place real-time exercise equipment bolted to the desk panel of the cubicle.  It was pretty cool from a video game standpoint and it was pre-wee.  What it allowed a cubicle rat to do was exercise at their workstation with virtual rowing, virtual bicycle pedaling and steering and even a NASCAR-like race game based on the exercise equipment being pedaled or moved.  We had a full data base of the exercise you did and we tracked the total calories burned and represented them with French fries filling a Mickie Ds jumbo fry box in the corner of the screen.  It would be super easy to add this product to any real dual mode or pure PRT system that is more advanced than the simplest of the systems that have not widened their vision to the full population of the world.  The energy dissipated by this system could easily be put to use lighting the cabin if human output is a voting trigger point.  Human exercise is about like running a single light bulb.  Those who think they can loose weight by exercise alone are delusional or marathon junkies.  The solution for weight is eat less period.  We eat too much and we get fat.  The French fry meter in this product was to illustrate to the user who just rowed across a virtual lake chasing ducks that they still have not worked off a single small bag of frys from Mickey Ds.  Riding a bicycle on a guideway with an aerodynamic shape will be even less working off of the fries.  The dual goal of exercise to make up for the food intake by pedaling from the Google parking lot to the Google building will not in any practical way make up for eating on the Google free restaurants.  It is certainly a false hope and this comes from a guy who spent a considerable amount of time developing a bicycle exercise virtual game with computer output to simulate up hill pedaling and downhill pedaling.  The physics of the virtual bicycle was very advanced and the bike would lean and slide based on our measurements of our bicycles in real life mixed with the physics model of a bicycle.  Bottom line his product has not made him any money but it does have a patent and it allows people trapped in cubes to exercise while still doing most work tasks.  All way too commercial for this site but since it made no money I don't feel too bad talking about it as a market failure.  What it did do was play to the desire that if you buy something you will get healthy and thin.  Once purchased it can sit in the corner never to be touched again.

Point being we can add this virtual pedaling game to any dual mode or PRT system for the times when it is traveling on its guideway.  Rather than push reading a book while auto-driving I suggest we push the idea that you can operate a Wee or other exercise game while riding to capture what we learned from Google's million.

With a set of pedals mounted to the floor of your pod you can simulate Shweeb in a virtual sense.  The value of truth would easily be displayed after your trip.  You pedaled enough to light a light bulb for 5 minutes and that negates two short fried potatoes.  Equated a different way a 26 mile race uses the calorie content of the previous day's food intake.  Since the marathon runner can only eat a stomach full at a time food is very energy dense so exercise will be very difficult to make up for over eating.  Just waiting for the epoxy to set and killin' some time about the desires of group think. Time to do the next batch!

Jerry Roane

--

Kirston Henderson

non lue,
30 sept. 2010, 13:04:3130/09/2010
From: Jerry Roane <jerry...@gmail.com>
To: transport-...@googlegroups.com
Date: 30, Sep, 2010, 11:53 AM

[...]

    I think that a set of pedals installed at my workstation here at the office would cause the tops of my knees to hit the underside of the keyboard shelf.  Good luck with the next batch of epoxy.

Brad Templeton

non lue,
30 sept. 2010, 14:03:2530/09/2010
à transport-innovators
You can't be serious. This newsgroup is called transport
innovations. It's not just for discussing Megarail-like systems.

Anyway, as I read the contest principles they took in 150,000
suggestions, narrowed them to 16 areas, and had voters pick 5 of the
areas. Then the Google 10^100 team decided how to allocate the 10M to
those 5 areas. Shweeb only got 1M (and not a grant since it is a for-
profit) so it wasn't the most favoured of the 5 projects the Google
team picked.

But I can assure you that the folks at Google are very aware of
conventional PRT systems, and that Larry Page is quite interested in
PRT (and robocars and various other innovative transit systems.)

I have not yet learned the direct reasons Shweeb was picked, but I am
confident it was not because other PRTs were not considered. One
reason I can imagine is that Shweeb can probably start something with
$1M, and other PRT systems, even established ones like ULtra, can't do
that. While I did not know them before this (and it seems most
others here also did not) I remain impressed with the simplicity of
their plan. There is much more work to be added to it, but that's
the point -- they can add it later. The core thing they need to get a
system to work is a switch so you can divert to the offline
stations. Many people here have designed switches for suspended
systems and it's not easy but neither is it intractable.

On Sep 30, 7:58 am, "Kirston Henderson"

Jerry Roane

non lue,
30 sept. 2010, 14:17:2030/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Kirston

Yes the pedals drop down on a pivot and your knees are just in front of your keyboard.  You can't easily type while pedaling but you can wait on telephone hold while entertaining yourself and working off the fry.  Right now it uses a V8 engine oil pump as the resistance mechanism because they are mass produced in large volume and they cost $12 retail.  We pinch off the oil flow to get more or less resistance or we change the oil viscosity out to get other ranges of resistance.  The rowing arms tuck under the desk at knee level and the up and down levers clip up also getting four handles and a set of pedals under the desk is a tiny bit tricky but it has been done.  The rowing uses the shock absorber for the TriTrack front suspension.  It is a knock-off of the Ford Model T or A (I forget) shock absorber that sloshes oil past a paddle inside a chamber.  The oil viscosity is how you adjust the rowing range and a needle valve in a bypass tube is how you adjust the rowing or curling resistance in real time.  Again it has a patent and was built.  The financial failure was for other reasons.  My shins are long also.

Jerry Roane

Jerry Roane

non lue,
30 sept. 2010, 14:32:3330/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Brad

We all knew about Shweeb.  It has been on this discussion long before you found us so it predates your T-list activity.  I used to get a lot of web hits from their location back then.  You are right 1 million dollars can build a bicycle.

You are making assumptions about the effort put into the decision.  Best to stick to what is known.  One of the final ideas on their list besides pedal power was an amalgam of guideway electric enabled systems.

If you read posts it is MegaWay so either you are attempting to insult Kirston or you intentionally do not digest what you read.  It would work better to be more up front.

Why can't they unhook the bikes and ride them to work?

Jerry Roane

WALTER BREWER

non lue,
30 sept. 2010, 14:49:1730/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Shades of Dual Mode!

Why can't they unhook the bikes and ride them to work?

Walt Brewer

Palle R Jensen

non lue,
30 sept. 2010, 15:38:2230/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
This is exactly what I offer in my new BikeMetro system (patent pending)
See attached

Palle R Jensen
BM.pdf

WALTER BREWER

non lue,
30 sept. 2010, 16:15:3430/09/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
HOORAY for the ground level loading!

But how are they elevated to the mainline?

Walt Brewer
From: Jerry Schneider <j...@peak.org>
To: transport-...@googlegroups.com
Date: Saturday, September 25, 2010, 8:20 AM

At 11:50 PM 9/24/2010, you wrote:
>Looks like the first real PRT (ie. with more than 3 stops) to be built
>may be pedal powered.   Google just decided they are giving their $1M
>transit innovation grant to Shweeb, which says they will be building a
>system with it.
>
>Anybody know the cost per km that Shweeb is estimating?  Because their
>track and vehicles are the lightest around I presume they are hoping
>for something decent.

Ask them: http://shweeb.com/

- Jerry Schneider -
     Innovative Transportation Technologies
       http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans

Jack Slade

non lue,
5 oct. 2010, 02:24:2105/10/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Brad, any way I look at this, it still seems to be a way to modify PRT so that bicycle riders can travel for free. It will cost as much, or more than PRT as I have proposed it ( and others as well), and will certainly be more intrusive if you talk about tracks wide enough to permit passing. How about looking in bedroom windows...is that OK with you now, with people who can stop and take pictures if they feel like it? Last week this was one of your objections to PRT, remember?

People with bikes or wheelchairs can ride PRT, at 10 cents per mile like everybody else. Isn't that just what they are trying to avoid, paying for ANYTHING? How can anybody afford to build anything for anybody who wants a free ride? I certainly would not touch it. If I had money to give away I would probably give it to people who either need it or deserve it.

Jack Slade

--- On Mon, 10/4/10, Brad Templeton <bra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> --

> transport-innova...@googlegroups.com.

Michael Weidler

non lue,
5 oct. 2010, 13:25:1505/10/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
5kph*.6=3mph. I suggest the next time you get near a treadmill you set it for 3mph. This is a rather brisk pace. 2 mph is still a pretty good stride and most people walk any significant distance at an even slower rate. Users putting out this amount of energy will definitely arrive sweaty.

wrote:
> Biggest flaw is simply that the percentage of people willing to use bicycles
> to go to and fro is too small to justify the infrastructure cost even if
> less than PRT infrastructure.
>
> As to Brad's comments that it is a test bed for PRT systems - nonsense. It
> lacks too many PRT characteristics.

Chargement d'autres messages en cours.
0 nouveau message