Feather Rail, for sustainable urban transport

9 vues

Jerry Schneider

non lue,
7 nov. 2011, 19:36:1107/11/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Concept paper only, at this point - more coming in a few weeks.
http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/featherrail.pdf

Jay Andress

non lue,
7 nov. 2011, 20:40:4507/11/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
I actually had a patent on something very similar. The only difference was that I had a small side rail that a side bar of the bike connected to. It was a pretty cool idea...but I never saw much potential for $$$$ and dropped it.  The amazing part about my invention was that I could balance the thin 1" wide tires at 100  psi on top of a regular railroad track. I actually made the product and it worked pretty well...although I was always afraid of falling at a high speed...bouncing along railroad ties never seemed like a good idea :-)

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Jerry Schneider <j...@peak.org> wrote:
Concept paper only, at this point - more coming in a few weeks.
http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/featherrail.pdf

Dave Petrie

non lue,
8 nov. 2011, 02:41:3608/11/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com

Brian Chow (Featherail) makes his first and fatal mistake on page 2 Purpose- just like the PRT innovators- when he says a new mode of transportation to replace the auto is required.

I actually had a patent on something very similar. The only difference was that I had a small side rail that a side bar of the bike connected to. It was a pretty cool idea...but I never saw much potential for $$$$ and dropped it.  The amazing part about my invention was that I could balance the thin 1" wide tires at 100  psi on top of a regular railroad track. I actually made the product and it worked pretty well...although I was always afraid of falling at a high speed...bouncing along railroad ties never seemed like a good idea :-)

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Jerry Schneider <j...@peak.org> wrote:

Concept paper only, at this point - more coming in a few weeks.
http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/featherrail.pdf

Netanel

non lue,
8 nov. 2011, 01:31:4708/11/2011
à transport-innovators
I am eager to see how you implement junctions for this concept.
Netanel

WALTER BREWER

non lue,
8 nov. 2011, 09:40:4508/11/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
At least it is using rails for personal transportation.

I suppos merging "on-ramps" couls be built; sidings used fro passing the
senior swith Granny Gears.

The outrigger might solve the biking in snow country problem. Though not
sure if one is enough.

Walt Brewer

--

Dennis Manning

non lue,
8 nov. 2011, 10:59:2908/11/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Dave:

It's a mistake to think all PRT innovators subscribe to  PRT replacing cars. First there are those that subscribe to DM and second those who see PRT at least for many years as an assist or possible replacement for mass transit.

Dennis

Roy Reynolds

non lue,
8 nov. 2011, 11:40:1308/11/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Correct.  A more appropriate goal, or goals, would be to mitigate the need for very costly resources to PARK vehicles (how many spaces are calculated for every car in the US?) and traffic congestion.  Both are also readily quantifiable.

Roy Reynolds
PRT Strategies
Fountain Valley, CA 92708