Centre Island Station design for bi-directional Guideway

15 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Frank Lee Mideer

ungelesen,
28.10.2010, 11:27:2428.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
- It allows access from a centre median (to match LRT station design).
- Instead of curving around the station, the main track dips 3 m (10 ft.) to
clear the station. Acceleration and deceleration can compensate for much of the
motion.
- The off-line track rises 3 m, regaining potential energy without regenerative
braking and making the slowdown/speedup ramps smoother.
- A modular design combining an elevator shaft which services up to 16 vehicles
of 6-passengers. This was chosen arbitrarily and needs to be refined based on
elevator service parameters. It could be 8 vehicles or 24 or more. 2 modules
are shown.
- Elevator door open on both sides (as needed) to allow simultaneous entry/exit.
- Ground level routing and payment could lessen wait by shifting the elevator
trip to (wasted) wait time.
- Cabintaxi is illustrated with 2-level stations and over and under guideways.
- Many parts of the model need to be refined, this is to discuss the concept.

F.

Station (high)-v3.jpg

Marsden Burger

ungelesen,
28.10.2010, 12:42:4428.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
F.

It took a couple looks to see how you meant it to function.

Some initial thoughts.

You will need at least a set of stairs capable of handling max platform load plus some extra for safety, and in some jurisdictions potentially escalators.

While many concepts look at the idea of sinking guideway, the costs involved in the fabrication of such structures is quite high for     any system.   In general, the costs involved with any curved structure is quite high.  When you add a spiral into it, which you must     do to avoid the jerking motion, the cost goes up.  Then when you combine vertical curves and spirals, with horizontal curves, again the cost rise more.

Also, the carrying capacity of the system you are showing is pushing into the level of heavy rail.  I understand that you want the system to have the appearance of competing one to one with light rail, but light rail only runs in a pinched loop configuration because that is the only logical way to go in both directions - one way train operations makes little since in any application.  You are limiting the advantage of small vehicle operation if you do not play to its strengths of providing larger area coverage.  This is especially true it your modeling the Cabintaxi two way system, which unlike light rail, can cover more of a transit corridor while still providing two way service.

More thoughts later.

Marsden

> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:27:24 -0700
> From: rhaps...@yahoo.com
> Subject: [t-i] Centre Island Station design for bi-directional Guideway
> To: transport-...@googlegroups.com
> --

eph

ungelesen,
28.10.2010, 13:55:1828.10.10
an transport-innovators
Comment below.

On Oct 28, 12:42 pm, Marsden Burger <cabintaxic...@msn.com> wrote:
> F.
>
> It took a couple looks to see how you meant it to function.
>
> Some initial thoughts.
>
> You will need at least a set of stairs capable of handling max platform load plus some extra for safety, and in some jurisdictions potentially escalators.

Yes, but the stairs would be emergency only - the elevator is meant to
be the main mover. I haven't investigated which codes are needed in
the target cities. I though sets of ladders along the elevator shaft
might work or drop-down emergency stairs or something of that nature.
It would have just cluttered this initial design.

> While many concepts look at the idea of sinking guideway, the costs involved in the fabrication of such structures is quite high for     any system.   In general, the costs involved with any curved structure is quite high.  When you add a spiral into it, which you must     do to avoid the jerking motion, the cost goes up.  Then when you combine vertical curves and spirals, with horizontal curves, again the cost rise more.

Maybe that's why Vectus chose what essentially looks like a roller
coaster track? If a dozen stations are built with the same curves/
spirals (which aren't that complicated), it should bring the cost down
of the 48 identical dip/rise sections with the regular turnouts (left
and right).

> Also, the carrying capacity of the system you are showing is pushing into the level of heavy rail.  I understand that you want the system to have the appearance of competing one to one with light rail, but light rail only runs in a pinched loop configuration because that is the only logical way to go in both directions - one way train operations makes little since in any application.  You are limiting the advantage of small vehicle operation if you do not play to its strengths of providing larger area coverage.  This is especially true it your modeling the Cabintaxi two way system, which unlike light rail, can cover more of a transit corridor while still providing two way service.

So, the idea is to match LRT capacity. with 12 s boarding and 6 s
alighting, 6 bays can be used to load and 2 bays to alight. Which
means 2 s headways can be handled - which maxes out the line at 1800
vehicles per hour at each level (speed reduced - haven't checked if
it's possible yet), 3600 total with up to 6 people which is better
than LRT can handle, but with 1.3 per vehicle, we get 4680 which is
9360 for both guideways per direction. This comfortably matches/
exceeds LRT.

A single module would be sufficient for most stations, I agree.

As to the coverage, loops off the main line, integration into building
etc. will have to be looked at as upgrades. This is just to start
talking about how PRT (podcars) can replace LRT.

> More thoughts later.
>
> Marsden
>
> > Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:27:24 -0700
> > From: rhapsodi...@yahoo.com

Frank Lee Mideer

ungelesen,
28.10.2010, 19:54:0028.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Seems the first picture was hard to understand, so here are the side and top
views.

Note that the mainline doesn't curve at all.

F.

Station (high)-v3-side.jpg
Station (high)-v3-top.jpg

Frank Lee Mideer

ungelesen,
29.10.2010, 10:10:2029.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
By special request.
This version adds 40 m of guideway to each station.

F.

Station (high)-v4.jpg

Michael Weidler

ungelesen,
29.10.2010, 15:00:2729.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Nice job, Frank!

From: catc...@verizon.net
To: transport-...@googlegroups.com

Subject: Re: [t-i] Re: Centre Island Station design for bi-directional Guideway (Stairs)
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:07:21 -0400

Marsden Burger

ungelesen,
30.10.2010, 11:19:4630.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry,

I am glad to see that you are not mad.

If you go on Jerry's site, you will find a system that will use your office in a building as a vehicle within a maglev system.  It will pull out of the building you are housed in and join the main line, where it will take off at speeds up to 300 miles per hour and travel to a ski resort in the mountains or to your cottage on a lake - all the time you are still sitting at your desk conducting business.  This system can go from no prototype development - but they do have an animated video - to an operational installation in 18 months.  It would be great if they are successful in their efforts.

I generally do not include statements about what concept systems plans to accomplish (plans with which I would have no idea in their totality) in generalized statements about transit systems.  I am unaware of any existing public transit elevated structures where curved guideway sections cost the same as straight sections.  I would be happy to learn of them.

Our business model is to own and operate transit systems, making a return through the value the service creates.  In this regard, we are not wed to the Cabintaxi technology - we have it because we recognized long ago, it was the best urban transit technology ever developed and had the courage to act on our convictions. (My wife might say the stupidity to act.)  We would like to reach a point where we can support logical transit system development.   We are convinced that at some point there will be improvements over the Cabintaxi technology - we know of nothing better today that could immediately initiate a beginning operational segment at the same level of low risk.

I wish you every success in your efforts.  Reducing the cost of transit system guideways is very important.

Best wishes,

Marsden

Best wishes,

Marsden

Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 08:51:13 -0500

Jerry Roane

ungelesen,
30.10.2010, 12:36:5530.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Marsden

You seem fixated on transit systems but the function is transportation.  If transportation was improved then wouldn't transit be useless in its current slow and polluting state?  Incremental improvements of transit like painting the buses shades of green to promote them as green (CapMetro) and getting ridership up has not worked.  Improvements to service like not charging fares to speed loading did not work (CapMetro).  Service was deteriorated by bums riding all day just for the air conditioning.    Buying longer buses has not worked.  Converting natural gas engines to diesel did not work even with posters plastered down the side of these buses that they were clean burning natural gas buses. (CapMetro)  Firing the upper management twice in my time here in Austin has not helped under a cloud of scandal both times did not work.  A million here a million there --- who knows?  Transit has a 1% share so why would you fixate on it at all?  (CapMetro)  If the problem to go after is transportation then you really have to go after replacement of the majority mode of travel.  Short of a solution tickling the edges of the issue will do nothing or extremely little.  Perhaps you think that a 17 mph average speed will gain market share but that is already the average transit speed so you would need to be much better than that.

Cabin taxi is poorly engineered from an engineering and physics standpoint.  It is just a box on/under a rail.  It has no similarity to a car that might win any kind of race other than slowest, most energy wasting or most uncrashworthy.  When you propose to say it is zero risk you are ignoring the fact that if you build a system designed around obsolete requirements in that decade that it will be an economic failure in a decade 50 years later.  Each design has inherent in it the time it meets the criteria.   Cabin Taxi was for another day for another purpose.  I contend that it would be risky to build an old design to try to sell to customers in 2010.  Obviously you could upgrade and design to current requirements and available pieces and parts but then there is that pesky risk you fear.  Life is risk.  Schools are supposed to teach how to control risk based on the components and systems of the past and the parts of those things that work.  Risk is hiring engineers who are not good at what they do.  There are lots of good engineers who build bridges you pass over everyday.  The risk of them falling to the ground on day one is minimized with quality education.

Jerry Roane

eph

ungelesen,
30.10.2010, 13:26:0630.10.10
an transport-innovators
Thanks for the info.
I agree, 7" rise would be safer/more standard and not add much to the
cost.

The stairs are for emergency escape only, the elevator is the main
mover in regular service. An escape ladder might suffice for the
unlikely case it may be needed and for the low number of people on the
platform at any time. The stairs were added just so there is a design
that can be submitted if needed. I would put escape ladders on either
side of the elevator shaft or at each end of the platform. The escape
ladder shafts could even be structural or built around a structural
element.

I'm amazed by the extrusion process you are suggesting and it's
potential for inexpensive guideway. I'm going to start a thread on
Tritrack for light freight I think.

Walt,
I think for Detroit and Ottawa the podcar elevator idea (which has
merit) is too advanced. I'm focusing on a deliverable system with the
idea that more innovation can come later, perhaps at other sites once
the ball is rolling.

F.

On Oct 30, 9:51 am, Jerry Roane <jerry.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> F.
>
> If you build stairs with the wrong rise many people will trip on them.  The
> worst trap is to change rise over run on a single step like they do in
> Opera theaters.  The ushers are there to catch people when they fall trying
> to step the standard step on the non-standard step spacing.  The landing is
> for weaker people but it also provides a physiological break to the steps.
>  You cannot go all the way to 8 inches on a step.  Lots of people will fall
> on them.  7 is more standard and for 1 inch there is no significant
> advantage.  Our guideway bends down using our patented process of straight
> extrusion then as the material is coming out of the extruder we bend it
> slightly and appropriately to create curves compatible with high speed that
> are computer curved.  This is counter to an earlier claim that curves cost
> more than straight.  In our case the guideway is never straight like with a
> straight edge but constantly curved resulting in the best ride possible with
> tightly bracketed weight cars.  We use our device to get to the customer
> rather than making the customer work to get to us.  Imagine two side by side
> systems on the same door exit.  One you have to climb stars the other you
> take two steps and hop in.  Which will get more business?
>
> Jerry Roane
>
> > > transport-innova...@googlegroups.com<transport-innovators%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > .

Gary Penn

ungelesen,
30.10.2010, 14:23:1030.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
OK, I have had enough and can no longer keep quiet while Jerry Roane continues to gratuitously attack Cabintaxi. I had decided that a stoic silence was the best reaction to Mr. Roane continued claims that his Tri-Track is the best solution and the only solution to nearly everything. And his continued assertions that just about everyone other than himself is a complete and total idiot and probably deeply dishonest as well. I support the principal that discussion groups should first of all be polite and civil but I think that applies to everyone, including those who are convinced that they are the stormy genius who towers over everyone else and is therefore entitled to dispense with the social niceties that apply to everyone else.

The very painfully obvious thing about Cabintaxi is that it actually exists and it actually works and has been very throughly demonstrated to work. It took hundreds of millions of dollars or the equivalent to do that and the work of hundreds of engineers and technologists at world class and world size companies. I don't know who the Federal Chancellor was when its large scale deployment was cancelled but his mistake was probably comparable to Richard Nixon's in abandoning the Apollo Project and its technology due to lack if interest. Despite the magnitude of the investment and the extent of the demonstration of its capabilities Cabintaxi has not achieved take off into a first large scale system. I suppose that imagining one person's idea is going to change the world requires a confidence level that might be hard to distinguish from raging megalomania. But I am not convinced that behaving in a way seemingly calculated to convince any reasonable person that you are a lunatic is the best way to persuade  the world to spend billions on your completely untested and largely unbuilt system. Nor am I convinced that being polite and civil, as Mr Burger always is, is a handicap.

I do not doubt that most of the paper ideas on Professor Schneider's website could be made to work given enough engineers with a sufficient budget working at doing the details for long enough. Most of them would not be good ideas to deploy even if fully developed. I do not doubt that the Tri-Track idea could be made to work with enough time and money and a sufficiently large development team. Right now it is vaporware. Essentially an aircraft drop tank, made of composite, perched on three motorcycle tires in which four people are to lie down like a Formula One driver. A great many people think a Pirus is too strange looking for them to be seen in.
A seven hundred pound (at least stated to be at one time) battery pack impacting a 200 or 300 hundred pound vehicle while both are moving at 40 miles an hour and then separating at the same speed? I think most people with "p.e." after their name would like to see that done full size and full speed, several thousand times before they were convinced that it is routinely doable thousands of times every day. What is the impact fatigue life of composite under such circumstance?. How would thousand of just plain folks manage to negotiate the you-drive-it-yourself switch areas? How big would these ground level maneuver areas be? What would they look like on a map of real city? If not built in an ideal greenfield environment what would have to be removed to make space for these areas. What does the machinery for handling the the (relatively) massive battery packs look like, really. How many miles of city streets would have to be torn up for those battery pack redistribution tunnels? What would it costs to move all the existing underground utilities out of the way of the battery tunnels. Does the software to manage all this exist? Who is going to write it? Test it? Maintain it? etc, etc,etc.

The point is not to attack Mr. Roane or his ideas. It is ask him politely and civilly to please, please, please stop attacking everyone and everything else on behalf of his ideas. I understand that he is passionate about his idea to change the world. I understand that he has a very high opinion of his own abilities and knowledge and I understand he has put everything he has into this project. Most of us have seen dozens of Brilliant Eccentric Against the World schemes breathlessly announced, struggle against the awful reality of how much harder everything is to get done than was optimistically anticipated and slowly wither away to a footnote. Lots of them in consumer electronics, sports aviation and limited (very, very limited) production automobiles. Most of us have managed to not say the obvious, as I have just done, about the likely prospects of the Tri-Track idea. Mr. Roane evidently cannot bear the polite silence and has chosen to be endlessly provocative in his ceaseless attack on just about everything else.

I would politely and civilly ask him to continue to report his progress. We all would like to see him succeed, as unlikely as we may think the prospects to be. I think that just about all us would like him to take his anger and frustration out in the gym on on the woodpile or something besides the fruitless project of convincing the world that he is Smartest Guy in it by argument.

Gary Penn
Austin, Texas

WALTER BREWER

ungelesen,
30.10.2010, 17:15:2730.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Marsden,
Yes I undestand that. An that a system that just lowers to street level for a regular off line station may do better.

But maybe I don't understand the vertical elevator system being discussed? I was simply saying if a vertical line of pods goes to loading level, direct attachment would be faster than a transfer of travelers from elevator to pod entry.

Jack Slade

ungelesen,
30.10.2010, 18:04:4530.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Walt, it would be faster for the travellers....a few seconds, which doesn't count for much.  It should  not slow the system down if the guideway dips to ground level, and if the station is big enough.  But there's the rub...how do you find enough space for all that in an existing City, at what cost, and to serve how many of those of us who have trouble with stairs? ( Like you and me, both).
Also,  won't you have trouble with snow, in Buffalo?  Who takes care of that?

Personally, I was satisfied with the system at my Legion when I had real trouble with walking....there was an elevator, available to handicapped only.  I also see this at some levels of Malls that are 2-level.  This whole concept is getting a little out-of-hand up here. We now have some reserved parking for women with small children, or are pregnant.

I am waiting for spots for women who want to get pregnant....is that next?

Jack Slade

--- On Sat, 10/30/10, WALTER BREWER <catc...@verizon.net> wrote:

Jerry Roane

ungelesen,
30.10.2010, 18:46:4130.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Gary

Going dark now.

Jerry the "angry one"

WALTER BREWER

ungelesen,
30.10.2010, 18:47:1030.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
And what are you going to do if you find them?

There was a sketch recently, Mister maybe, which showed sloping guidways into and from street level station. Looked like reasonable amount of land.
Maybe stack the waiting pods verticle to save some land even though they attach at street level?

Jack Slade

ungelesen,
31.10.2010, 02:54:5731.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Walt,  I don't know your City well,  but I do know a few others,  so I am just talking about what I see as an added expense in most of the Cities that I know.  I also don't know the prices in those places, but presume thay are as inflated as here.

I also don't know what it is like in Poland, but I remember Ollie saying that Opole is a City of about 100,000 .  In a small place like that perhaps you can find space at grade, so you just have to solve the snow clearing problem, which you do not have even if you are 8 feet up.

We are talking about the cost of getting a system accepted by some City, are we not? Would you want to make this a deal-killer?  If you are not able to use an elevator, I can see your problem,  but should it cost your City millions of dollars?

Kirston Henderson

ungelesen,
31.10.2010, 04:53:5231.10.10
On Oct 31, 2010, at 1:54 AM, Jack Slade wrote:

We are talking about the cost of getting a system accepted by some City, are we not? Would you want to make this a deal-killer?  If you are not able to use an elevator, I can see your problem,  but should it cost your City millions of dollars?

I think that we need to bring this issue into reality.

We are advised by an architect associated with our company that tthe installed cost of a simple, two stop elevator is less  than $30,000/  That is a relatively small amount in relationship to the rest of the station, guideway siding, switches, etc. necessary for any elevated station.  Furthermore, I seriously doubt that any city is going to allow installation of a system without elevators.

As far as being able to install any ground-level, system, it is probably out of the realm of reality in most places.

Kirston Henderson

Frank Lee Mideer

ungelesen,
31.10.2010, 11:21:2831.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Did some elevator analysis and concluded that 2 elevators are needed per 3 car
station.

Smaller elevators tend to be slower and limited in their number of starts per
hour, often 180 , which is one every 2 minutes. It may be cheaper to build 2
stations than a centre-island station, though having 2 heavy-duty elevators
available might be better than 2 lighter duty singles for redundancy. Also,
each elevator can service one level which is not possible in a single elevator,
double platform single guideway configuration.

Latest station design attached. Elevator doors located, staircase fixed, second
shaft added.

Analysis:
With a 3(or 4?) car station, we can move one car per 6 seconds assuming a 12 s
load

time and 6 s unload time. Is it 4 cars because we need time to advance the
vehicles after unloading?

Assuming the door open/close cycle on the elevator is 6 s and a 6 s transit
time, we need 24 s for a full up-down cycle, so 4 cars must be loaded. A 24
person elevator would carry the max. of people, but this is probably overkill,
plus the elevator shaft must be larger, so this is 18/4 = 4.5/podcar(avg.).
Since there are 2 levels, two 18-person elevators are needed per 3 car station.
This assumes a regular situation where

one direction of travel greatly exceeds the other.

example:
KONE 3000 MiniSpace

Rated Speed : 2.5 m/s
Capacity : 1600 kg
Machine : MRL (Machine Room-Less)
Shaft Size : 2800 mm (W) x 2150 mm (D)
http://www.kone.com/countries/en_CN/products/hospital/passenger_elevators/3000minispace/Pages/default.aspx

F.

Station (high)-v4.3-elevators.jpg

Marsden Burger

ungelesen,
31.10.2010, 12:08:3531.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Frank,

What would that look like as a single level station using just the over running vehicles.  As a 6 or 12 passenger small vehicle GRT system, that would easily compete with light rail.

Best wishes,

Marsden

> Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 08:21:28 -0700
> From: rhaps...@yahoo.com

> Subject: [t-i] Centre Island Station design for bi-directional Guideway
> To: transport-...@googlegroups.com

eph

ungelesen,
31.10.2010, 15:49:2731.10.10
an transport-innovators
I think it's important to keep the over and under capability even if
it's just for future expansion. Otherwise, there is no advantage over
Vectus, other than being Detroit based and there is no room for growth
as the system expands to 15 mile road and beyond.

Is the cost too high to compete with rail otherwise? Or are you
thinking about using the people mover track for one of the pinched
loops?

Collective vehicles are not the goal, I think, that gives away much of
the advantage of a raised system.

F.

On Oct 31, 12:08 pm, Marsden Burger <cabintaxic...@msn.com> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> What would that look like as a single level station using just the over running vehicles.  As a 6 or 12 passenger small vehicle GRT system, that would easily compete with light rail.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Marsden
>
> > Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 08:21:28 -0700
> > From: rhapsodi...@yahoo.com
> >http://www.kone.com/countries/en_CN/products/hospital/passenger_eleva...

Marsden Burger

ungelesen,
31.10.2010, 16:33:5531.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
F.

Maybe I am losing you here, or you are losing me.

Your goal, I thought, was to show the good citizens of Detroit, how a
Cabintaxi system is going to look and be superior to light rail - all the
time trying to keep the "advanced" system within the realm of reality.

There is no real project in Detroit for any advanced system, and there will
not be involving federal money without a Presidential mandate. Therefore,
this is an exercise to allow the citizens to see an alternative, and express
their support for something more effective - maybe getting the President
Obama's ear. (Probably not, but who knows.)

I assume by only referencing Vectus, you recognize their willingness to
address snow conditions which are an important issue in Detroit. Still,
they are a long way from being able to address a real US government
competitive procurement, and if our mythical project were to come into
existence by a Presidential mandate, you are probably right, it would only
be an American system mandated.

How do you see the goal again?

Best wishes,

Marsden

eph

ungelesen,
31.10.2010, 17:14:1531.10.10
an transport-innovators
The "good citizens of Detroit" think there will be an LRT system and
that it will cost between $400 million and $500 million. It is
pointless to demonstrate a superior system that doesn't have a real
price tag, the same way the LRT system has a price tag. If they were
to go for it, however unlikely that is, it should be deliverable.

I'm working on a system for Ottawa also.

Now I'm confused. Why only top-running and for GRT? In that
configuration, Vectus is a direct competitor. With over and under,
not so much.

F.

Marsden Burger

ungelesen,
31.10.2010, 17:33:2831.10.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
:) :)

F.

I love it! Believe me, it is as easy to make up a cost without a study, as
it is to make up a cost with a study. :) :)

Any of us doing this for years, and is current on the latest projects, could
come up with a cost estimate quickly that is going to be as close as this
Detroit study estimate. It is just no one believes it, as we need to be
paid millions to do the verification study of the approximate price we
already know. :) :) I am smiling, but it is true. If you were a close
friend of anyone at a major consulting firm, they would tell you the same
thing.

However, I had forgotten that you are working on something for Ottawa also,
so let me think about a better response and get back to you.

eph

ungelesen,
31.10.2010, 18:08:0031.10.10
an transport-innovators
How about top running PRT and bottom running GRT. Lower fare/cost for
GRT.

F.

WALTER BREWER

ungelesen,
01.11.2010, 10:10:2901.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jack,

 Indeed there are a variety of city conditions, and also at other PRT installation sites that impact this. And the larger cities are most likely to have the impatient travelers that want automobile on demand service w/o working very hard.

My comments were prompted by the elevator to the off mainline PRT loading that appeared in recent postings. If we can do that, and there has been a comment about as low as 6 seconds/loading, then loading the pod at street level and lifting, passengers included, to the side line for acceleration would be attractive. It's not just whether one can ride an elevator or not.

To be sure this require more rugged elevators, so there is a trade off to be analyzed depending on the land available at particular installations.

Michael Weidler

ungelesen,
01.11.2010, 15:55:3801.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
We already have them....They're called brothels!!! ROFLMAO!

--- On Sat, 10/30/10, Jack Slade <skytr...@rogers.com> wrote:

Frank Lee Mideer

ungelesen,
01.11.2010, 16:08:4801.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Walt,
Boarding was 12 s and alighting was 6 s (plus some time to advance the vehicle).

So a 6 second elevator ride (this may be optimistic) a 12 s alighting and
boarding, and a another elevator ride is 24 s total to handle 2 vehicles at a
time. It takes 4 elevators (for the top and bottom "stations") to match the 2
smaller elevators in the original design. The platform is also 6 times longer.
Not sure how useful this design is. Some safety doors will be needed on the
bottom level and some way to keep snow/ice from fowling things would be needed.

Vehicles on top can use either of 2 elevators. They can get podcars from either
side, turn while descending then return to either direction. Same idea with the
2 elevators for bottom running vehicles.

I've added a turntable feature to solve a separate problem - how to do a U-turn
with a large turn radius restriction.

F.

Jack,

Walt Brewer

Jack Slade

--- On Sat, 10/30/10, WALTER BREWER <catca...@verizon.net>
wrote:

Walt Brewer

Jack Slade

<catca...@verizon.net> wrote:

Walt,

Best wishes,

Marsden

From: catca...@verizon.net

F.

Jerry Roane

F.

innov...@googlegroups.com

innov...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Frank Lee Mideer

> Sent: Saturday, 30 October, 2010
8:52 AM

innov...@googlegroups.com

> Subject: [t-i] Centre Island Station
design for bi-directional Guideway
> (Stairs)

> Here is a stair design. The station
has been made transparent. Straight

> staircase up to the first level
(could be broken up by a platform) Second
> staircase wraps around the first to
get from the top level to the first.

> I think we must keep in mind that
these models are not architecture drawing,

> they are meant to first give a rough
idea of what the system might look like
> so
> it can be tweaked, reworked and
improved. When

read more »

Station (high)-v5.1.jpg

WALTER BREWER

ungelesen,
01.11.2010, 16:59:3901.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Starting at square one for a single level mainline sytem, why is the time
line for loading and attachment/arrival at the sideline guideway any
different, except for the time to move the occupied pod from elevator to
guideway? And there is just one human entry time.

Walt Brewer

F.

Jack,

Walt Brewer

Jack Slade

Walt Brewer

Jack Slade

Walt,

Best wishes,

Marsden

F.

Jerry Roane

F.

> Tan Lien Chiow
> EzNO

read more �

eph

ungelesen,
01.11.2010, 18:01:4901.11.10
an transport-innovators
The 12 s loading and 6 s alighting was from the Cabintaxi study. The
text says something about "destination coding and ticket cancelling"
and "waiting for automatic start" for boarding time. Do you have
better references for boarding and alighting figures?

WRT vehicle elevators, I used 12 s for both loading and alighting
(maybe it would be longer?) I also forgot the time needed to move the
vehicle(s) into place, so throughput would be affected by that.

F.

> read more »

Marsden Burger

ungelesen,
01.11.2010, 18:47:2601.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com

F.

Just out of interest, and to be better informed on your issues, I looked at your Ottawa light rail project.

Just some general comments:

Having worked in the United States and Canada on transit projects, transit is far more serious in most of the Canadian cities.  Canadian operators are far superior in general to those in the US cities of comparable size, and transit planning and projects are aimed at supplying service to the citizens as a real component of the process and selection.

In the United States, the real goal is using the concept of public transit for the "poor and needy" as a justification to get federal funds for job creation, service of the systems often not even a secondary consideration.  I recognize this is a general observation, but I have observed this over and over again in our country. L (Of course, the poor and needy do not want to use poor transit service any more than those who are better off, and “forcing” people into transit should not be the approach - providing systems that provide better service should be the approach thus "attracting" user into a better option that they "want" to use.)

To see this lack of concern for service in our Detroit effort, if you look at the Woodward Corridor route, at about the four-mile mark, a mile to the east is the City of Hamtramck.  It is the densest city in Michigan at over 10,000 people per square mile, and a population that is pedestrian oriented – these residents, mostly of Polish decent, walk within their community and would use transit.  Not one of the plans in discussion ever proposed reaching this obvious transit ridership.  Go on Google Earth, look at the difference between the density of this enclave and that of the rest of the Woodward corridor, and explain if the planning cared about serving people how this population is ignored.  It is ignored because the decision process is political not service directed.

Hamtramck is also the area of choice for students of Wayne State to live as it is safe and inexpensive – it just take one to two hours to travel the two miles by public transit to get to school.

Regarding the level of a “Boondoggle”, I would suggest that we are more in that category here in Detroit, than you are in Ottawa

While it seems that there are a lot of people that would like to define all the intricate variation in the term, light rail, the reality is that rail is rail, and the little variations there are help consultants to propose more options and make it look like consultants are worth their money.  The term “light rail” came about under Jimmy Carter, the only President that was an engineer in my lifetime.  While considering the issues of transit project funding, he suggested (referring to many efforts, but the Washington METRO system in particular, {not the exact quote}) that “transit projects were to ‘heavily’ designed.”  Literally, within months, nearly all planning for rail projects in the US started calling their projects “Light Rail.”  Who wanted to try to get funding for rail if the head of the administration was against it?  Unfortunately the confusion of the term has stuck.  Another politically created term with little meaning, making decision makers doubt the credibility of the entire field.

Correct me if I am wrong, but your Ottawa “boondoggle” appears to be a grade separated rail system using subway for the downtown and what seems to be cuts to provide most of the remaining grade separation. If it is all grade separated, this will allow faster safer system operation than the Detroit situation that must compete the entire way with grade crossings.  The Ottawa system is reaching communities where people would actually use the system and bring riders into the downtown core.  While the costs are significantly higher, the use of a subway through the downtown core is without question less intrusive for urban integration than elevated systems – if it is worth it is debatable, but urban subways dramatically strengthen the city.

Once the Detroit systems leaves the three mile downtown area, there is little ridership to be expected from areas of mostly abandoned city, culminating its eight miles with a final stop at an abandoned State Fair ground and a large graveyard.  While Jerry,S. pointed out that travelers from some senior centers would be fewer than normal residential developments, I would suggest, that the system users from the unused fair grounds and the large graveyard might even be less.

In addition, a friend with a lot of bus knowledge indicates that Ottawa has a highly respected bus system.  While skeptical of the claim, “light rail will reduce bus congestion creating a savings of $100 million a year in operating costs,” I would give it more credence than if such a statement was made by the Detroit operator, where it is considered a badge of honor for our heads of transportation agencies to be hired with no transit experience or knowledge what-so-ever.

All considered, I would think that you have little chance of changing the direction of Ottawa because their plan is significantly better than in Detroit,(not necessarily saying much) and there is little chance of changing the project in Detroit, because the leaders here do not care about the quality of the plan to begin with – it is all about getting the job creation money.

That said, I still like your idea to give people interested something else to consider, so here are some more responses to your questions:

I think it's important to keep the over and under capability even if it's just for future expansion.  Otherwise, there is no advantage over Vectus, other than being Detroit based and there is no room for growth as the system expands to 15 mile road and beyond.

Again, Cabintaxi is designed to be an urban system.  While we have long commutes all over the country, the desirable travel time is generally 30 minutes.  This makes the desirable distances topping out about 12 miles – some further of course.  The goal of the People Mover Expansion was not to connect the suburbs, although the People Mover is better for this than Cabintaxi, but to make mobility in the downtown easier, thus creating a greater pull for suburbanites to come to the urban core.  Clearly, a significant Cabintaxi network running five to ten miles away from the center in every direction would create an area where “mobility freedom” would be far superior to the automobile in the suburbs, and the “urban draw” could justify connecting the core to outlying cities with faster modes and fewer stops.

Now I'm confused.  Why only top-running and for GRT?  In that configuration, Vectus is a direct competitor.  With over and under, not so much.

Is the cost too high to compete with rail otherwise?  Or are you thinking about using the people mover track for one of the pinched loops?

With the goal of showing interested people that there are better solutions, I am not concerned if comparisons are made to Vectus or any other small vehicle concept.  At this point we are so far from an actual procurement that those issues will resolve themselves over time.  Vectus is further from a full urban system than we are, and we are not doing anything without strong partners.  If a market is not created somewhere, which is your goal, neither system will be competing for anything.

The reason for only top running, is that your double level station is about 50 feet in the air, and if you are trying to get the general public to accept the idea that this is better than light rail, I believe you will get the exact opposite reaction.  If you want to do a direct comparison to a side by side light rail line, than a small vehicle GRT Cabintaxi approach can meet the demand requirements in the same format as light rail.  This would not be my preferred approach, but you have now twice rejected the single line over-and-under applied in a long loop, which will also carry greater capacity than a light rail line.  If you want to reject the simple design approach of the looping nature, and run in the light rail format of a pinched loop with the station design that you have come up with, then (and only then) am I suggesting that you go to only a single level, because the stations will be a lot lower and will not receive quite the negative reaction.

Collective vehicles are not the goal, I think, that gives away much of the advantage of a raised system.

The advantages of a raised system are that the vehicles travel from station to station without stopping, and that normal urban surface traffic of all modes can continue uninterrupted by the introduction of the new modal option.  Smaller systems lower the cost of the elevated structures and smaller automated vehicle can respond better to the needs of the travelers through more customer oriented travel – thus increasing the advantage of an elevated system over the surface of subway option.

The issues between what size the vehicles should be, is very interesting.  A strong case can be made that no small PRT network is worth the investment other then as a demonstration, and the low capacity that it demonstrates in this reduced setting can work against the chance of achieving the eventual larger system.  A PRT shuttle that has difficulty performing that task, or is perceived to have problems with capacity, can make it very difficult to justify the larger investment in something that seems not really a significant transit investment to begin with.  Inherently, a PRT shuttle can be a no win situation from the start – my concerns from day one with the LHR situation.

So, how do you get to a full small vehicle origin to destination system?

Considering using small vehicle systems for large government projects like the total systems in Detroit and Ottawa – not that I believe that this is logical or the way to go, but - I see the same basic problem: there is, unfortunately, no way to get to a PRT system as a first phase.  If that is proposed, it will not be accepted.  PRT needs a sizable network to show that it can move enough people to make any transit activity worthwhile.  No one will want to take the leap of faith and put in a large network to start.  If a small demonstration is proposed, then no one will think it is worth doing because it moves so few people.

All of the discussion about changing the Morgantown system to PRT, always faltered on the system’s present carrying capacity.  There were suggestions that if more of a network was added, then PRT might be able to be applied.  In other words, yes the Morgantown GRT works fine, but we could make it PRT if we just spend more money and put in more guideway and more vehicles, and then it will work somewhat better than fine – to serve a population that is served fine now......hmmmm.

I have shown these before, and they are on Jerry’s site, but they are worth considering.  The first one is a small vehicle GRT over the same area as the second, which is PRT.  If you look at the routing for the different lines that make up the GRT routes – combining to form the network – any of those lines can form a starter system and stand alone moving respectable numbers of passengers.  PRT cannot start effectively like that.  At the same time, small vehicle GRT can run in a PRT fashion with the flip of a switch, as Morgantown can today.  PRT really requires a significant network to be a reasonable public investment.  If PRT is all a system can do it is a major leap of faith no one has been willing to do for good reason.  Even in this Hamburg setting, while the study showed higher ridership with small vehicle PRT in the large network once established, the Hamburg Hochbahn opted to get there by installing small vehicle GRT first in routes similar to those shown below.  Again, if the system is so designed, the 12 passenger small vehicle GRT and switch during the off peak to full PRT operation – there is next to no difference in energy costs.  In this fashion full network PRT can be developed in cooperation with a community, without the inherent risks of committing to a large network first – if so planned, small vehicle GRT and PRT can share the same network and evolve as demand suggests.

Your numerous questions about using the different levels for different vehicle sizes only seem to miss the point about why over-and-under is as advantageous as it is.  You go back to from where you came as quickly as you came, and the networks costs are lower.  If you relegate a given operating style to one level, than you have effectively created the inherent disadvantages of single level PRT, the need to loop back more frequently requiring again more vehicles and more guideway – higher costs and poorer service.  To speculate that it is possible to develop a turntable device to reverse the flow of vehicles in a smaller turn radius, while an interesting thought, ignores the cost of development and testing required to inject this theory into a real system.  The turntable would need to have a sub-three second headway capability carrying real people and travel at a speed as fast as the flow of traffic or dramatically restrict the flow of the guideway, in effect a centrifuge, or in station areas suffer more unclear issues.  Your opposition would rightly rip this idea to shreds and use it to discredit the entire plan.

The Cabintaxi system works as designed.  It can be laid out more effectively in most cases than light rail.  It can be started small with little to no development risk and evolve to a full PRT system if desired.

I hope this explains my reasoning a bit more.

image004.gif
image003.gif

eph

ungelesen,
01.11.2010, 19:41:2101.11.10
an transport-innovators

On Nov 1, 6:47 pm, Marsden Burger <Cabintaxic...@msn.com> wrote:
> [...]
> little ridership to be expected from areas of mostly abandoned city,
> culminating its eight miles with a final stop at an abandoned State Fair
> ground and a large graveyard.  While Jerry,S. pointed out that travelers
> from some senior centers would be fewer than normal residential
> developments, I would suggest, that the system users from the unused fair
> grounds and the large graveyard might even be less.
>
> In addition, a friend with a lot of bus knowledge indicates that Ottawa has
> a highly respected bus system.  While skeptical of the claim, "light rail
> will reduce bus congestion creating a savings of $100 million a year in
> operating costs," I would give it more credence than if such a statement was
> made by the Detroit operator, where it is considered a badge of honor for
> our heads of transportation agencies to be hired with no transit experience

The $2.1 to $5 billion "Light Rail" Boondoggle in Ottawa ISN'T what
I'm proposing be replaced by Cabintaxi. That ship has sailed, an
expensive tunnel and short track will cripple the world-class BRT
system. The current BRT system is choked by a short section in the
city which isn't segregated and a tunnel WOULD have fixed that nicely
and for a reasonable amount. Urbanaut would have added automation and
electric propulsion to the mix, but it is unavailable.

There are other smaller projects that I think would work nicely as
PRT.

> [...]
> reasonable public investment.  If PRT is all a system can do it is a major
> leap of faith no one has been willing to do for good reason.  Even in this
> Hamburg setting, while the study showed higher ridership with small vehicle
> PRT in the large network once established, the Hamburg Hochbahn opted to get
> there by installing small vehicle GRT first in routes similar to those shown
> below.  Again, if the system is so designed, the 12 passenger small vehicle
> GRT and switch during the off peak to full PRT operation - there is next to
> no difference in energy costs.  In this fashion full network PRT can be
> developed in cooperation with a community, without the inherent risks of
> committing to a large network first - if so planned, small vehicle GRT and
> PRT can share the same network and evolve as demand suggests.

GRT and PRT cannot run properly at the same time. GRT vehicles would
need clear sidings where PRT would have waiting podcars. This means
no (or at least crippled) PRT during GRT operation. Putting GRT on
it's own guideway solves this problem.

> Your numerous questions about using the different levels for different
> vehicle sizes only seem to miss the point about why over-and-under is as
> advantageous as it is.  You go back to from where you came as quickly as you
> came, and the networks costs are lower.  If you relegate a given operating
> style to one level, than you have effectively created the inherent
> disadvantages of single level PRT, the need to loop back more frequently
> requiring again more vehicles and more guideway - higher costs and poorer
> service.  To speculate that it is possible to develop a turntable device to
> reverse the flow of vehicles in a smaller turn radius, while an interesting
> thought, ignores the cost of development and testing required to inject this
> theory into a real system.  The turntable would need to have a sub-three
> second headway capability carrying real people and travel at a speed as fast
> as the flow of traffic or dramatically restrict the flow of the guideway, in
> effect a centrifuge, or in station areas suffer more unclear issues.  Your
> opposition would rightly rip this idea to shreds and use it to discredit the
> entire plan.

The turntable is an idea to explore, not a system proposal. The
turntable can take 2 vehicles, so that increases it's throughput and
not ALL traffic would use it, just EMPTY vehicles that need to be
short-run.

> The Cabintaxi system works as designed.  It can be laid out more effectively
> in most cases than light rail.  It can be started small with little to no
> development risk and evolve to a full PRT system if desired.
>
> I hope this explains my reasoning a bit more.

OK.

F.

> Best wishes,
>
> Marsden-----Original Message-----
>  image004.gif
> 361KViewDownload
>
>  image003.gif
> 390KViewDownload

Marsden Burger

ungelesen,
02.11.2010, 01:14:0802.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
GRT and PRT cannot run properly at the same time.  GRT vehicles would
need clear sidings where PRT would have waiting podcars. This means
no (or at least crippled) PRT during GRT operation. Putting GRT on
it's own guideway solves this problem.

F.

This is not the case for Cabintaxi systems. There are many station design possibilities.
Even in the simplest of stations, the interaction of PRT and GRT is no more difficult than waiting on an A-train in normal transit when a B-train is there first.  Vehicles are always moving out of stations when other vehicles come in.  The only time vehicles stand in stations is when no demand is there, and no vehicles are entering stations - off peaks.  Otherwise, the movement of vehicles is dynamic in peak periods.  Empty vehicles move through the system looking for empty stations to park in or to be in areas where the system history and incoming requests indicates vehicles are needed in given areas and times.  When vehicle requests indicate a need for a vehicle, it is pulled from the guideway flow, the nearest platform, or a vehicle storage facility.   Vehicles are called to the station when a passenger enters the station and identifies that entry to the system.  Either level can work with both GRT and PRT with  no system degradation if the network and station layouts are planned for them.

Small vehicle GRT only enters a station when an onboard passenger has selected that station as his destination, or if a passenger in the station has requested a GRT authorized to use that station otherwise the GRT vehicle proceeds to the next station in its route that has the conditions needed for it to stop - a passenger request for a route station.  No real difference than PRT, just more capacity with fewer vehicles and shared rides - allowing smaller networks to get started responsibly.

Again, there are many station and network design possibilities.

Remember, this may be a problem for Pod Cars, but they are a recent idea, and appear limited in their ability.  :)

Best wishes,

Marsden

Benke

ungelesen,
02.11.2010, 09:01:4002.11.10
an transport-innovators
The regular guideway could well be shared between GRT and PRT, but GRT
would need separate guideway sidings. My vision is to run GRT between
highly used stations only. If you want to go from a GRT-enabled
station to a non-GRT station or vice versa you would change to/from a
PRT vehicle as needed. Ideally the GRT and PRT sidings should be on
opposite sides of the same platform, so you can just step right over
and enter the other type of vehicle. Of course it would be allowed to
go PRT all the way too, but that would have a higher cost, I imagine.
In lower use hours both sidings could be used for PRT, increasing the
PRT capacity of the station.

In Morgantown the GRT mode is still point-to-point, it is not line-
haul. I would like to ponder how to implement the GRT mode in a larger
network, for instance 100 stations out of which 20 have the special
GRT sidings. Could this be serviced by alot of point to point GRT
vehicles or would it be more realistic to use a line-haul mode? How
would in that case the lines be layed out on the network? Could there
be demand driven changes to the "GRT lines" in real time? This seems
to be a formidable optimization problem, it is really hard to see how
to tackle it! Any ideas?

Bengt

Ian Ford

ungelesen,
02.11.2010, 09:58:1302.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
I've given this some thought and think the best way is for each GRT line
to be in bus mode. The car goes from one end of the line to the other
and back like a bus and stops only when needed to pick up or drop off.
Unlike a bus, it can skip the end stations if there is no demand, and
stay more often in the center of the line. For a diagonal trip, you have
to transfer. The transfer penalty is quite low since the cars would
presumably come every minute or so.

--
Ian Ford i...@ianford.com 505.750.IAN8

eph

ungelesen,
02.11.2010, 11:28:3002.11.10
an transport-innovators
I was thinking about this also. If GRT is like a bus and it's only
needed at peak times, why not just run some buses and maximize profit
on the PRT guideways by providing excellent service at premium prices
when demand is highest?

At off-peak times, bus pass holders can use the PRT cars which means
empty buses aren't running all night, and drivers aren't paid to
chauffeur a few passengers around. Plus service is excellent, not
every half hour or less.

This means there is no need to worry about the PRT/GRT mix, pure PRT
can run all the time.

The big question (for me) is does it make economic sense? How much is
congestion-free, comfortable travel worth? How much can be saved in
bus O&M at off-peak hours? Will this actually take drivers off the
road freeing up space for buses and other traffic? What is this extra
capacity worth in road maintenance, expansion etc...? Is the emission-
free aspect worth something? Other benefits?

F.

Kirston Henderson

ungelesen,
02.11.2010, 13:48:2902.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
----------
>From: eph <rhaps...@yahoo.com>
>To: transport-innovators <transport-...@googlegroups.com>

>Subject: [t-i] Re: Centre Island Station design for bi-directional Guideway
>Date: 2, Nov, 2010, 9:28 AM

> I was thinking about this also. If GRT is like a bus and it's only
> needed at peak times, why not just run some buses and maximize profit
> on the PRT guideways by providing excellent service at premium prices
> when demand is highest?
>
> At off-peak times, bus pass holders can use the PRT cars which means
> empty buses aren't running all night, and drivers aren't paid to
> chauffeur a few passengers around. Plus service is excellent, not
> every half hour or less.
>
> This means there is no need to worry about the PRT/GRT mix, pure PRT
> can run all the time.
>
> The big question (for me) is does it make economic sense? How much is
> congestion-free, comfortable travel worth? How much can be saved in
> bus O&M at off-peak hours? Will this actually take drivers off the
> road freeing up space for buses and other traffic? What is this extra
> capacity worth in road maintenance, expansion etc...? Is the emission-
> free aspect worth something? Other benefits?

As far as I am concerned, the idea makes perfect sense as long as all of
the stations are off-line and that the access doors for PRT and GRT are the
same size and compatible.

Kirston Henderson
MegaRail® Transportation Systems

Marsden Burger

ungelesen,
02.11.2010, 13:47:5902.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com

Gentlemen,

Since there seems interest in this topic, I will again post the post from 2008.  Note the operational numbers at the end on the differences between PRT and GRT for the same area.

To sum them up quickly, small vehicle GRT get over 80% of the ridership of PRT, GRT costs 50% of the capital cost of PRT, and GRT cost 35% of the operating costs of PRT.  Further, GRT can provide PRT service in the off peak, if so planned, with out a major increase in the comparative operating costs.  The cost of running 12-passenger small vehicle GRT as PRT is close to the cost of running 3-passenger small vehicle PRT as “cruse” energy requirements are dependent on frontal air resistance, which “while boxy” are the same, and low at low speeds.

This information is background for your thinking.  Most of this has been thought through in detail for the Cabintaxi application in Hamburg, and the Hochbahn came up with the scenario that it liked to start their planned system.

The characteristics of any given system will affect the operational scenarios, and not having an in-depth understanding of the system considered, leads to incompatible scenarios.

The 2008 post:

 Cabintaxi, utilizing vehicles of the same cross section of seated passenger, can work with vehicles of different lengths, and types (freight and passengers) sharing the guideway at the same time.  Separating the levels into different types of systems can work for some types of applications, but is questionable for passenger service in a network because the return process would be different from the out-bound process.

The real world choices between small vehicle PRT and GRT are not so clear.  I do not know how many of you have looked at the study that I attached earlier, but here are some basics again:  (Real world passenger demand modeling form a real community using actually operating characteristics of a system that can actually be built. Still it is not meant to say that any simulation is perfect, but simulation is the best we can do short of operational data.)

Here is a PRT system layout:

Here is a GRT layout over the same area:

Total passenger boardings per average work day for:

PRT 144,000

GRT 119,400

Total number of stations:

PRT 77

GRT 55

Total Number of vehicles in operation at the peak hour:

PRT 5,100     Total fleet - 5,474

GRT 403        Total fleet - 484

Total Guideway length

PRT 49 km

GRT 36 km

Capital Investment

PRT   DM 774,490,000

GRT  DM 385,320,000

Operating Cost

PRT  DM 39,400,000 per year

GRT  DM 13,770,000 per year

This is in Hamburg, in a major city neighborhood with 135,000 inhabitants, 63,000 jobs, and 406,000 person trips per day.

The study finds in favor of PRT for this community, but it is clear, that the GRT system is a dramatic improvement over conventional transit, and the implementation process using GRT that can convert to PRT, makes the introduction of systems in a step by step process more accomplishable than starting a total PRT network from scratch.

Look at the fleet sizes and think of the operational and maintenance differences to start up a network.

Look at the stations and think of the cost of "off line" verses "on line" - needed for every off line station, 100 meters of structure plus two switch sections, the most costly part of the guideway.

A GRT 12 passenger vehicle can operate in a PRT mode with a flip of a switch.  There is little increase in operating cost as the accel/decel only happens (in general) one time in a trip and the frontal area of the vehicle becomes the chief factor in energy consumption.  This is from actual operating data.

Again, PRT appears superior over GRT, but no where near the level of the superiority of small vehicle GRT over conventional transit, and in this case, GRT can evolve into PRT; whereas PRT has a hard time starting a network large enough to make it effective.  Further, PRT has no capital advantages over small vehicle GRT - guideway costs higher, fleet costs higher, maintenance costs higher.  PRT has superior service that should be more desired by the market, as born out in the above study, but the process to get to PRT is best accomplished by small vehicle GRT.  Which is why this was the process selected by the Hamburg authorities and the supplying companies to initiate the Hamburg project.

You can find the US Government documentation of the Cabintaxi system through Jerry's web site.  Further questions I am happy to respond to.

Best wishes,

Marsden Burger

Cabintaxi Corporation

Back to 2010:  All of the advantages of Cabintaxi small vehicle GRT capital and operating costs, are more pronounced  when  compared to a single level PRT.

--

image002.jpg
image001.jpg

WALTER BREWER

ungelesen,
02.11.2010, 14:26:2102.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Marsden,

Of your summart total numbers, for GRT boardings, how many made transfers to get to their destinations?

 Walt Brewer
From: Marsden Burger <Cabint...@msn.com>
To: transport-...@googlegroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 2, 2010, 5:47 PM

Gentlemen,

[...]

02.11.2010, 16:49:0002.11.10
an transport-innovators
I don't understand how 135,000 people make 406,000 trips per day using
public transit. That's 3 trips per person.

Capital cost 6% interest over 30 years is: $55,282,200 per year for
PRT, half that for GRT (say).
406,000 trips/day is 406,000*365 =
148,190,000 trips/year (that's 50% more trips than Ottawa with a
population at least 8x larger)

Operating expense: $39,400,000 for PRT, $13,770,000 for GRT.

Total expense per year:
$94,682,200 for PRT
$41,411,100 for GRT

PRT fares must be 2.29 times larger for PRT to cover expenses assuming
the same number of patrons.

Cost per fare:
GRT: 0.28 DM (45 cents in 2009 USD*)
PRT: 0.64 DM (103 cents in 2009 USD*)

* - I'm guessing a 1979 DM (1.8340 to the USD) was worth $1.61 using
the Consumer Price Index and exchange values in today's dollars. Used
this site: http://www.measuringworth.com

The tricky part is still: What are people willing to pay for a PRT
trip? Taxi fare prices or public transit prices?

F.

Ian Ford

ungelesen,
02.11.2010, 16:59:3502.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Like nearly all markets, it is distributed. There is no price that
"people" are willing to pay. If you set the fare at $1, a lot more
people will ride than if you set the fare at $3. You can play with the
effect of fares in the model (abqtransp.org/app).

On 2010-11-02 14:49, eph wrote:
> The tricky part is still: What are people willing to pay for a PRT
> trip? Taxi fare prices or public transit prices?

--
Ian Ford i...@ianford.com 505.750.IAN8

WALTER BREWER

ungelesen,
02.11.2010, 17:08:3502.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
And how do you define public transit prices? Total or susidized?

Walt Brewer
From: catc...@verizon.net

To: transport-...@googlegroups.com
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 09:57:29 -0400
image001.jpg
image002.jpg

Jack Slade

ungelesen,
03.11.2010, 12:50:1803.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
I understand,  at least....sort of.   This study was obviously not done by the same people who built the VW or the ME109.  I suggest you scrap the study, and do one of your own.

When talk is of fixing Morgantown to be true PRT they certainly do not mean beefing up the guideway,  as it was already made to carry the weight of a train.  I have heard some suggestions to just lay down PRT guideways on top of the existing ones,  to save on extra construction.

I personally don't advocate this,  as the erection of  small PRT guideway should be the simplest thing on Earth,  and I think it would actually be more expensive to add it to the existing one.

Jack Slade

--- On Wed, 11/3/10, Marsden Burger <cabint...@msn.com> wrote:

Marsden Burger

ungelesen,
03.11.2010, 13:03:5003.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jack,

I think some of the biggest problems with the study are in the translation.  One of these days I will dig out the German version and read it more carefully.

Best wishes,

Marsden

Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 09:50:18 -0700

eph

ungelesen,
03.11.2010, 13:05:4503.11.10
an transport-innovators
I've been looking at expected ridership numbers for the Woodward
corridor (11,100 daily) and wonder if at-grade stations like this one
is all that can be afforded? Could a Cabintaxi guideway be buried
across an intersection allowing cars to drive over it?

F.

Dan Homerick

ungelesen,
03.11.2010, 22:44:1003.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
You're putting the guideway above the median, and stations are placed at an intersection so that pedestrians can cross half the road (one direction) to reach the pods -- correct?

The problem I see with this is that any median space is usually devoted to turn lanes at an intersection. In your figure, it appears that you are taking over the turn lane and parking pods in it. Given that at-grade stations must take the land from somewhere, that may be an acceptable trade-off. I do have to wonder though, whether removing a lane of roadway between intersections might have less of an effect on road traffic.

At least in my area, it's common for roads to widen by a lane at an intersection in order to increase the intersection's capacity, then to have the road narrow again shortly after. If a station could use the land after the narrowing but before the next intersection, it would probably be more easily integrated. Typically the roads drop an outside lane to narrow, but if you wanted the station in the median, I think dropping an inside lane can work fine.

The drawback to placing stations away from the intersection is that passengers can't stop traffic to cross, right? I think that putting in a traffic light just for pedestrian traffic would be viable in most low speed areas. Though it would interfere with traffic flow, at least you're not taking land from an area that is already trying to cope with 2x the traffic of the rest of the road (i.e. an intersection).

Another option is a raised pedestrian crossing to reach an at-grade station in the median, but I think at that point you might as well start considering elevated stations again.

Cheers,
 - Dan

eph

ungelesen,
04.11.2010, 00:06:3004.11.10
an transport-innovators
Thanks for the input. I agree with you on the left-turn lane. I
think there is also an access restriction to placing a station in the
middle of the block - if you are one (or more) street over, it extends
your walk by half a block (not a very strong argument for not doing it
though). It also takes up most of the block. On the other hand,
there is the delays that can be incurred for mixing with traffic and
potential for accidents. Mid-block might be a better location.
Traffic lights could be co-ordinated so that traffic isn't slowed much
since only one side needs to match the traffic light. Only the half-
way point must be reached. It also means that the under guideway
COULD be mixed with the over one but this would require a system
upgrade. Technically it should be possible.

The whole thread is based on replacing an LRT line which not only
places its stations at intersections, but also carves a 3 lane wide
divide for the rest of the street! I guess it depends on where your
focus is. For LRT, making car travel less appealing (by removing
lanes and parking spaces) is part of the magic.

I'm still not crazy about decelerating on a downhill nor about the
space it takes out of the street, though again, compared to the cost
of an elevated station or LRT...

F.
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Frank Lee Mideer <rhapsodi...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> > This is a CONCEPT ( so don't freak out :-)  ).
>
> > The idea is for a split station with exit on one side of an intersection
> > and
> > entry on the other so that the traffic lights can be used for pedestrian
> > crossing/access to the station.  Podcars must traverse the intersection,
> > but
> > they will do so empty.  Other direction is at the next intersection.
> >  Doesn't
> > work well with over and under guideway.
>
> > No elevators and no elevated stations are needed.  A large row of podcars
> > can be
> > stored (though there may be security issues).
>
> > This design can be used to combine DM and PRT.
>
> > F.
>
> > --
> > .

Frank Lee Mideer

ungelesen,
04.11.2010, 10:46:2704.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Here is the mid-block, over and under version of the at-grade single-direction
station. The platform is 3.1 m wide which takes up a whole (other) vehicle
lane.

F.

Station (high)-v6.1.jpg

Michael Weidler

ungelesen,
05.11.2010, 23:58:4505.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
Well, if Marsden is correct, systems will need to start out as GRT until the network gets big enough. So just run the GRT cars as PRT when the network gets big enough and slowly take them out of service as rolling stock is replaced.

On Nov 2, 9:58 am, Ian Ford <i...@ianford.com> wrote:
> I've given this some thought and think the best way is for each GRT line
> to be in bus mode. The car goes from one end of the line to the other
> and back like a bus and stops only when needed to pick up or drop off.
> Unlike a bus, it can skip the end stations if there is no demand, and
> stay more often in the center of the line. For a diagonal trip, you have
> to transfer. The transfer penalty is quite low since the cars would
> presumably come every minute or so.
>
> On 2010-11-02 7:01, Benke wrote:
>
> > I would like to ponder how to implement the GRT mode in a larger
> > network, for instance 100 stations out of which 20 have the special
> > GRT sidings. Could this be serviced by alot of point to point GRT
> > vehicles or would it be more realistic to use a line-haul mode? How
> > would in that case the lines be layed out on the network? Could there
> > be demand driven changes to the "GRT lines" in real time? This seems
> > to be a formidable optimization problem, it is really hard to see how
> > to tackle it! Any ideas?
>
> --
> Ian Ford            i...@ianford.com           505.750.IAN8

Jack Slade

ungelesen,
06.11.2010, 03:27:1506.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure if Marsden is correct.  Enlarging everything that was proposed to a concept that was priced at $80 Million per mile is what killed the Raytheon Project. Won't it do the same to any system that proposes to run individual vehicles on over-sized guideways?

I am still trying to visualize his statement about PRT vehicles seating people 3-abreast. I hope this was a misprint.  If it wasn't, I can see how he anticipates a stability problem. I just can't get the picture of a vehicle that is 6 feet long and 10 feet wide, and the aerodynamics are terrible.

Jack Slade

--- On Sat, 11/6/10, Michael Weidler <pstr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Marsden Burger

ungelesen,
06.11.2010, 11:01:3306.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com

Jack,

Short of asking for a consulting fee for the information I am providing here J, let me just lay out some more images and let you think about it some more.  (Borrowed from the Booz Allen analysis)

Some thoughts as you look at these images.

My shoulder width is 22 inches, and I am 5’10”  180lbs.  The “outside” dimension of the first vehicle is 62 in.

I tried to maintain the scaling from Booz Allen, for the first two images.

The Cabintaxi vehicle that you are looking at it a 12 passenger small vehicle GRT.

The height of the Cabintaxi vehicle is 167 cm (why it as shown below with a slight variation I am not sure.  The Hamburg drawings have them the same at 167.)

The carrying box beam girder of the Cabintaxi system is approximately 45 cm wide.   For the single level, the beam height is approximately 90 cm.

You can make up your own minds in the advantages and disadvantages of the inside running beam approach to the outside running beam approach, again, that is not really the issue that I am addressing.

There is more guideway cost issues between systems than there is between small vehicle GRT and small vehicle PRT.  It is just that no one has small vehicle GRT but Cabintaxi.

Also, think a bit.  Is it not interesting that the newly announced Daventry conference, following on English PRT experimentation, is now addressing PRT/GRT applications, where before, Daventry was only talking PRT.  What do you think the “English PRT experimentations” might be showing.

Best wishes,

Marsden

We are looking for partners!

image001.gif
image002.gif
image003.jpg

Kirston Henderson

ungelesen,
06.11.2010, 14:35:4306.11.10
On Nov 5, 2010, at 10:58 PM, Michael Weidler wrote:

Well, if Marsden is correct, systems will need to start out as GRT until the network gets big enough. So just run the GRT cars as PRT when the network gets big enough and slowly take them out of service as rolling stock is replaced.

It's about the only to ever get there.

Kirston Henderson

Marsden Burger

ungelesen,
06.11.2010, 18:40:2206.11.10
an transport-...@googlegroups.com

Gentlemen,

Again borrowing from the same Booz Allen report; when I found the previous images, I came across this proposed example of a theoretical network supporting a line haul transit system and thought that it is another good network to compare bi-directional PRT/GRT with one way PRT.  Why a single level system is selected to demonstrate PRT I will leave for you to guess.

However, after the discussions in regards to “High PRT”, I would bet that most of you can draw the routing of a bi-directional over and under system that will provide more effective service at probably 25% less capital cost than the network proposed here.

Best wishes,

Marsden