Terrorism and Transportation Choice

Jay Andress

Feb 3, 2010, 2:09:40 PM2/3/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Thought it would be interesting to introduce a different topic with some relevance....that terrorism could have more to do with future transportation system choice than economics and environment.

The subject really gained momentum with the narrowly averted December plane bombing. Unfortunately this explosive looks like sugar and can easily destroy an airplane with a small amount. It could be just a matter of time before the terrorists are able to attack transportation systems AT WILL . This is a very troublesome idea. The results would be mass exit from trains and airplanes...but to what??? I would guess that the gasoline automobile is probably the least vulnerable.

Under separate email I am sending an article from today's NY Times that has national security experts predicting a major attack on the US within the next six months. The article talks mostly about a cyber attack but this seems inconsistent with the expertise of terrorists and their usual mode of operations.

Dennis Manning

Feb 3, 2010, 3:25:33 PM2/3/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Here's some timely discussion of the issue as regards HSR:

Jack Slade

Feb 3, 2010, 4:21:06 PM2/3/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I see that they mention the problem of people carrying guns on trains.  When I fly, here is the problem that bothers me most:

The well-meaning people on the plane have all been disarmed.  If a terrorist with a gun slips past security,what am I supposed to do,  throw my laptop at him?

Jack Slade

Dennis Manning

Feb 3, 2010, 5:15:47 PM2/3/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Given what terrorists are using these days worrying about guns doesn't seem to be what one would worry about the most. Explosives are in these days.

I hope you aren't suggesting that regular passengers be "armed". That's what your statement hints at.

badger

Feb 3, 2010, 7:03:58 PM2/3/10
to transport-innovators
that's exactly what jack's suggesting.and i support it! face it,we're
alone up there.if anything happens,it's up to the real people. who
else is there to stop terrorists on every flight-the stewardesses?

On Feb 3, 5:15 pm, "Dennis Manning" <john.manni...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Given what terrorists are using these days worrying about guns doesn't seem to be what one would worry about the most. Explosives are in these days.
>
> I hope you aren't suggesting that regular passengers be "armed". That's what your statement hints at.

Dennis Manning

Feb 3, 2010, 8:35:18 PM2/3/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I can't believe what I'm hearing. Just how do you determine who is a
"normal" passenger?

Feb 4, 2010, 2:46:34 AM2/4/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Dennis, we went through the whole buildup of aviation mostly in the years 1945 to 2000 without having to restrict firearms on aircraft.

During thise years, can you name me one problem that ever occurred, or one persin that was ever injured? If you can, it certainly did not ever get published in the aircraft accident and incident reports that I was reading constantly during that period.

Lesser of 2 evils....which would you prefer,(1) a trained, armed, passenger or (2) a terrorist who has total freedom to kill everybody on board?  If you really want to put the fear of Allah into these terrorists, you should make it be known that ALL your bullets have been dipped in pig blood.  All the Military bullets, too.

Jack Slade

--- On Thu, 2/4/10, Dennis Manning <john.m...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>         --

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group..

Jay Andress

Feb 4, 2010, 9:46:46 AM2/4/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
You've got to be kidding!!!!!! Bullets in an airplane at 30,000 feet. Sorry but that is just dumb...the whole plane comes down

Dennis Manning

Feb 4, 2010, 12:44:26 PM2/4/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
What in heaven's name are you talking about? The terrorists get on the plane with the express intent of taking themselves out.

Dennis

Jack Slade

Feb 5, 2010, 3:15:38 AM2/5/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
You are thinking it backwards.. If a terrorist has managed to get on board with his pre-planned equipment,  the whole plane comes down, unless there is somebody there to stop him.

If you think that one bullet will bring a plane down, after passing through the body of a terrorist. you know nothing about ballistics, and even less about planes. Why not leave the planning to people who know both?

Jack Slade

--- On Thu, 2/4/10, Jay Andress <andre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>         --

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group..

Jack Slade

Feb 5, 2010, 3:24:35 AM2/5/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
No they don't.  If they just wanted to die they could jump off a bridge. Their weird belief is that they are assured a place in Valhalla (Heaven, in our language) by killing a bunch of us "Infidels". Suicide alone does not get them there. You have to understand the motivation before you understand what you are trying to combat.

Jack Slade

Jerry Roane

Feb 5, 2010, 8:01:31 AM2/5/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jack

Going toward motivation at an early age it is important to help the children understand there are alternatives to the suicide path.  Until we change the hearts of the natural man on a mass scale these kinds of things will happen.  Shooting information to the young has more wisdom than dealing with the crazies later.  I agree with you on arming the appropriate people on a plane but the airlines took the British approach to policing.  The full body scan has to be implemented as well as letting the security professionals do their jobs without too much assistance from the legal perversions of the world.  This is off topic but at the same time on topic because any transportation network or any 7/11 needs some assured level of safety for the average person to be a patron.  Our system will have an incredible number of cameras and digital storage of the history in and around the guideway.  We could not avoid evil being evil but we will be better able to play back the video after the fact to hunt down the supporters of the evil and end them.

Jerry Roane

Jay Andress

Feb 5, 2010, 12:20:20 PM2/5/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
This conversation is inane. When I posted the idea I was hoping that it would be a thoughtful analysis to which types of transportation modes would be most likely to benefit from an AT WILL ability of terrorists to strike at transportation, instead there is a conversation about infidels and arming passengers.
   I think that the automobile would be the biggest beneficiary if this scenario ever played out. Reasons: they are independent (not run on a vulnerable linear track system), individual and gasoline is a very efficient energy storage system (although the supply chain for oil is certainly vulnerable). The biggest losers would be trains and airplanes. I imagine that PRT and DM would be somewhere in the middle.

Dennis Manning

Feb 5, 2010, 2:15:58 PM2/5/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting news coming out about Toyota and the computers inside all our cars and trucks. The general publicity is probably not good for PRT, but the reality is that PRT is far less complex than all those computer systems in cars.  Explaining it to laymen is another thing.

I think it also points to the difficulty of using the "evolutionary" or ITS approach to get to full automation.

Dennis

Dennis Manning

Feb 5, 2010, 2:18:09 PM2/5/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jay:

Yes, it's inane. My apologies for allowing myself to get drawn in.

Dennis

Jack Slade

Feb 5, 2010, 5:46:53 PM2/5/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Hunting down perpetrators and putting them on trial is the approach we take here in Canada.  It is small consolation to the dead.  We just finished a terrorism trial here that should have made world-wide headlines...  The Leader of a group of 18, who planned to blow up large buildings in Toronto, and our Parliament Building,  was given 9 years.  The 2 years he spent in jail awaiting trial counts for 4 years of this, so with good behaviour he will be out on 3.5 years.

This is a Deterrent?  In 31/2 years he will still be a terrorist, only smarter, so he won't get caught until after the damage is done.  This group had accumulated 3 times as much explovises as used in the Oklahoma bombing.

If this is the kind of deterrent you want,  you are welcome to it..
I still believe in my Military Training.

Jack Slade

Feb 5, 2010, 10:44:01 PM2/5/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jay

Could you comment more on how a linear track is more vulnerable than a highway bridge.  It appears to me that if you take out a 6 lane highway bridge that you would disrupt more traffic flow than any other target.  When the military attacks a city the bridges are the first to go if it is a real attack.  With vulnerable guideway wouldn't the night crew just put out more guideway and be up by the next week?  A single blown up highway bridge would take a year to rebuild with its 18,720 per hour capacity shut down for the duration.  (1.3 passengers per car, 2400 cars per lane, 6 lanes)  If a guideway section is missing for whatever reason the dual mode cars just drive around the problem so I do not understand your comment.

Jerry Roane

Michael Weidler

Feb 6, 2010, 8:13:41 AM2/6/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Excuse me, but I seem to recall that guns were not allowed on planes even before 9-11.

--- On Wed, 2/3/10, Dennis Manning <john.m...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>         --

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.

Michael Weidler

Feb 6, 2010, 8:28:06 AM2/6/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
If I wanted to bring this country to its knees, I would blow up several key Interstate Highway overpasses.

Jerry Roane

Feb 6, 2010, 11:18:09 AM2/6/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Michael that was the problem.  No one on board was able to shoot the first terrorist to use his box cutter.  This is no different than the Luby's massacre where no one had a gun to take down the crazy.  This is just collective crazy of organized crime with a religious twist.  Every badass wants to go down in a blaze of glory and the uber natural man wants a bigger and badder exit so they can be a bigger badass.  It is the media and the government that obliges them in their quest.  These guys should be buried under the courthouse with no fanfare an no mention they existed.  Terrorism only works when CNN exists to tell the tale 24/7 and nightly news has to run some story every night whether there is news or not.  No mention -- no terror can be had.  Even this very discussion contributes to the "glory" of the badass.  Ignore them on a collective basis and remove them from our presence the next time they sleep.

"Hupp had actually brought a handgun to the Luby's Cafeteria that day but had left it in her vehicle because laws in force at the time forbade citizens from carrying firearms. According to her later testimony in favor of Missouri's HB-1720 bill and in general, after she realized that her firearm was not in her purse but "a hundred feet away in [her] car," her father charged at Hennard in an attempt to subdue him but was gunned down; a short time later, Hupp's mother was also shot and killed. Hupp later expressed regret for abiding by the law"

From wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_massacre  Notice I never gave the crazy's name even though mentioning his act still gives too much credence.  Evil does have us in a headlock.

Jerry

Jay Andress

Feb 6, 2010, 3:32:53 PM2/6/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry,

   You raise an interesting point...especially if the highway bridge is above water and thus fewer options for automobiles to cross and find alternatives. However I think that you would have to agree that an automobile with a full tank of gasoline has many options...at least for about three hundred miles.

                                                                   Jay

Jerry Roane

Feb 6, 2010, 6:05:10 PM2/6/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jay

You are correct that in the starting days of the automobile that it needed to go off roading but those days are absolutely over.  When was the last time you were required to bog through the mud to get where you were going?  Massively parallel is the answer and build them back faster than they are removed.  A dual mode electric with a towable trailer running on cleaner burning propane will give further range than a gas guzzler with side tanks.  The one (none) time when you have to escape to the hills because of the Iranian attack hardly justifies any change in choices.  The survival excuse is not valid or if you think it is valid you are probably part of the crazies also.

Jerry Roane

Robbert Lohmann

Feb 7, 2010, 4:32:44 PM2/7/10
to transport-innovators
Wow! That discussion went in a different direction than expected in a
hurry!

In general the number of casualties or the image are aspects of
interest to terrorists. In principle PRT has less potential
casualties, so should be less interesting. On the other hand, it has
an image, which makes it more interesting. It will be most important
to protect against people blowing themselves up in/near stations where
larger crowds are located. There are all new kinds of techniques with
intelligent camera's, both at stations and inside vehicles, that can
(partly) help to protect against this. But in this day and age, you
can never assure, like on any other transit system, that people are a
100% safe.

It only takes one guy, one gun, and he might not even be a terrorist,
to be 'temporarily not accountable' to kill people and the image of
the system...

Robbert

Jack Slade

Feb 8, 2010, 12:49:19 AM2/8/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
If you can properly match PRT to the area served, the crowd buildup at the station should be smaller than any other transit form. Crowds are formed by people waiting for a scheduled system, which PRT isn't.
Crowds mean that people are gathering faster than the system can take them away, and proper design can eliminate most of this by matching station capability to the area it serves.

There are so many other areas where people congregate that I don't think PRT would be a very likely target.  Having said that, I know you can't rule out anything when you are dealing with Nuts.

Jack Slade

Dennis Manning

Feb 8, 2010, 1:18:07 AM2/8/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I'm hearing that the following Consultants have been selected to work on San Jose Airport PRT project. I don't know their various roles. More information is to be posted at the SJDOT web site next week.

ARUP
BAH
PRT Consulting
Jakes Associates
IBI
Kimley-Horn
L+E
LogPlan

That's quite a line up. It's going to be very interesting to see how this is organized and to see tasks being envisioned.

Dennis

Kirston Henderson

Feb 8, 2010, 2:56:53 AM2/8/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
   It most likely means that they will spend all of the money that they can muster on consultants, some of which will probably tell them that PRT isn't well enough proven to make it an acceptable choice.

Kirston Henderson
MegaRail® Transportation Systems, Inc.

Jerry Roane

Feb 8, 2010, 7:38:43 AM2/8/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Dennis

That is quite a list.  I can tell you that Roane Inventions has not been contacted by any one of them.  I did send a letter of intent and am listed as one of just a few companies on that list.  I think I am not supposed to talk to the city staff or at least that is the impression I get.

It also looks like my last big deal fell through I was chatting about.  On super bowl weekend I just block sanded.

Jerry Roane

Richard Gronning

Feb 8, 2010, 9:35:11 AM2/8/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

I thought that you might be interested in this list.

Dick

Dennis Manning

Feb 8, 2010, 11:23:36 AM2/8/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
On hearing from more people on this: CORRECTION! All those consultants were not selected. It is ARUP only.

Dennis

Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 4:38 AM

Jay Andress

Feb 8, 2010, 11:44:37 AM2/8/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I just looked at the ARUP website. This seems to be a progressive group with experience in transportation. I am surprised that this is an Ireland based company, but I guess they have offices around the world...including SF. On first look, I am impressed...strong with sustainability, transportation but a varied list of projects...they are very capable. www.arup.com

Michael Weidler

Feb 8, 2010, 1:21:04 PM2/8/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jay,

Autos are not the issue here. Freight movement is the issue.

Brad Templeton

Feb 8, 2010, 1:56:41 PM2/8/10
to transport-innovators

While many have been wondering about how the fear of terror attacks
may drive people away from mass transit (such as airplanes and trains)
which can be a terror target, sadly the fear of terrorists may be a
big curse upon personal transit such as PRT and robocars.

That's because it's hard to design these systems so somebody can't
load a pod car up with a very big bomb and then command it to go to
the target.

I can think of various tricks to try to stop this, ranging all the way
to forcing passengers to solve a Turing test before approaching a
station, or checking for respiration or demanding movement but they're
all ugly and most of them can be defeated by somebody evil and
clever. The main one that can't be defeated is a major burden --
not letting the tracks get anywhere near crowded areas or important
destinations -- certainly never running inside buildings. It also
demands never having crowded PRT stations, such as might be found at a
stadium when the game is over.

That doesn't leave you with much of a transportation system.

PRT and robots eliminate the need for the terrorist to commit suicide,
and in fact run the risk of being used simply as weapons for murder or
other non-political violence, if your target lives or works next to
track.

Jay Andress

Feb 8, 2010, 4:02:24 PM2/8/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Brad,

   You raise a point that I was just going to bring up myself. However if you consider the fact that many of the bombers are suicide bombers then automobiles and trucks are already guided vehicles.
   I think the nearest term problem is with airplanes. If there are widespread attacks on airplanes this world will become a vastly different place with personal freedoms curtailed and commerce hurt.
   To stray off topic for a minute...the dumbest thing that terrorists could do is attack the US public (however they are obviously going to do it). With Pearl Harbour, the Iranian Hostage Situation...which led to the election of Reagan, to 9/11...the American public will respond forcefully if provoked.
    I don't think it will ever come to widespread terrorism in non-Muslim areas.
                                                                  Jay

Dennis Manning

Feb 8, 2010, 6:58:58 PM2/8/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jay:

You sure about ARUP being Irish based? ARUP originated in London. A quick google said little about Ireland.

Dennis

Jerry Roane

Feb 8, 2010, 8:06:49 PM2/8/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Dennis and Jay

That is very interesting.  I was sent an email asking me to bid on an eco park the state of Connecticut wants to build on an old landfill location and they specifically state that the money spent has to abide by the buy-American concept.  It also says women owned and minority bid participants have a prejudicial point advantage in the way the bids are scored.  I could have bid that job had I not been born white and male and if my suppliers were not from China.  I guess buy-American is not applied in this case.

Jerry Roane

Brad Templeton

Feb 8, 2010, 10:37:29 PM2/8/10
to transport-innovators
The whole point is that automated transportation offers the means to
be a bomber without the annoying suicide part.

We react to terrorism by defending against the attacks of the past.
After the unabomber mails a bomb, we change the postal system so you
can't put heavy mail stamped into a mailbox and other changes. After
somebody puts a bomb in his shoes we make people take off their
shoes. It's how it operates.

If somebody decides to load up PRTs with bombs (and one could even go
to a station with 50 small bombs and blow up 50 remote stations
simultaneously) then they will try to clamp down on the PRT, and
that's very tough, because you can't have security at PRT stations,
which are inherently unmanned in most PRT visions.

On Feb 8, 1:02 pm, Jay Andress <andress....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brad,
>
>    You raise a point that I was just going to bring up myself. However if
> you consider the fact that many of the bombers are suicide bombers then
> automobiles and trucks are already guided vehicles.
>    I think the nearest term problem is with airplanes. If there are
> widespread attacks on airplanes this world will become a vastly different
> place with personal freedoms curtailed and commerce hurt.
>    To stray off topic for a minute...the dumbest thing that terrorists could
> do is attack the US public (however they are obviously going to do it). With
> Pearl Harbour, the Iranian Hostage Situation...which led to the election of
> Reagan, to 9/11...the American public will respond forcefully if provoked.
>     I don't think it will ever come to widespread terrorism in non-Muslim
> areas.
>                                                                   Jay
>

> > transport-innova...@googlegroups.com<transport-innovators%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Hengning Wu

Feb 8, 2010, 10:55:51 PM2/8/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
My guess is that the Toyota problem is probably a system problem rather than the failure of individual components. I mean the problem occurs only at certain combination of conditions. The probability is very low, and it is not reproducible in the laboratory. This kind of problem is very difficult to identify for the experts. Toyota is looking for outside help, and this is good. But they seem to look in the wrong direction, or quality control experts. This is a system design issue, not a quality control issue, in my humble opinion.

PRT has the advantage of control by computer alone. We do not have the complex human-computer interface. For cars, in some senses, it likes that a backseat driver and the driver may be in disagreement and the trouble begins.

Hengning Wu

Jack Slade

Feb 9, 2010, 1:01:34 AM2/9/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Unmanned does not mean that somebody will not be watching a video if what is happening at each station.  While some of us contemplate freight via PRT, that will not happen from people-stations,  and freight-shipping stations are going to need operators.  Freight also pays more, per pound, than people, so it will still be profitable.

I am just pointing out that PRT is not the easiest target....more trouble, small damage, greater chance of getting your picture taken.  It would take almost as much planning as blowing up a football stadium.  If things ever degenerate to that extent we will also have a very different approach to anti-terrorism than we have now, and little old ladies will not be the people manning the security check-lines.

Jack Slade

--- On Tue, 2/9/10, Brad Templeton <bra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > transport-innovators+unsub...@googlegroups.com<transport-innovators%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en.

Jack Slade

Feb 9, 2010, 1:13:12 AM2/9/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Some companies are guilty of over-engineering ....designing non-critical parts with the same tolerance they apply to more important parts:

Example:  You can build a foot-pedal with a one-thou tolerance in the hinge pin, and it will work in the Lab forever.  Install it in a vehicle where the pin begins to rust, and it may begin to stiffen up or bind after a period of time.

I have had to re-design things built like this on several vehicles in the past, and they were not Toyotas.

Jack Slade

Brad Templeton

Feb 9, 2010, 1:20:10 PM2/9/10
to transport-innovators

Really, video surveillance at every PRT station? I mean yes, you can
do that, but it seems for any full PRT network it would cost a lot.

I think it would also be a shame to only allow cargo from cargo
shippers. If I need to get something to you I would love to be able
to just quickly drop it at any station and you go to your station to
pick it up, if they are close.

On Feb 8, 10:01 pm, Jack Slade <skytrek_...@rogers.com> wrote:
> Unmanned does not mean that somebody will not be watching a video if what is happening at each station.  While some of us contemplate freight via PRT, that will not happen from people-stations,  and freight-shipping stations are going to need operators.  Freight also pays more, per pound, than people, so it will still be profitable.
>
> I am just pointing out that PRT is not the easiest target....more trouble, small damage, greater chance of getting your picture taken.  It would take almost as much planning as blowing up a football stadium.  If things ever degenerate to that extent we will also have a very different approach to anti-terrorism than we have now, and little old ladies will not be the people manning the security check-lines.
>
> Jack Slade
>

> --- On Tue, 2/9/10, Brad Templeton <brad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Reagan, to 9/11...the American public will respond forcefully if provoked..

> > > transport-innova...@googlegroups.com<transport-innovators%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en.

David Maymudes

Feb 9, 2010, 1:27:39 PM2/9/10
On Feb 9, 2010, at 10:20 AM, Brad Templeton wrote:
> Really, video surveillance at every PRT station? I mean yes, you can
> do that, but it seems for any full PRT network it would cost a lot.

are you worried about equipment costs, or staffing costs? you pretty much already need to have a network anywhere the track goes, so we're just talking about a $200 network camera... probably the most expensive part is making it vandal-proof, so I think it's a pretty minor cost even for a cheap $250K PRT station. (that's for Taxi2000-style all-elevated systems; I can see what you're saying more for at grade systems that are more like a bus shelter)

and, again, you pretty much need to have an operations staff 24/7, so you've already got people sitting around waiting for things to happen... the biggest challenge may be thinking up enough things for them to do between terrorist incidents that they don't fall asleep or go crazy.

Our current plan is that there's video surveillance in each *vehicle* too, which is a bigger cost than the stations... obviously many things to balance here between customer service/privacy/security/cost. I don't know what ULTra's current vehicles do; obviously they're on an airport where there's a heightened background police presence in any case.

Jay Andress

Feb 9, 2010, 2:00:04 PM2/9/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Dennis,

   I think you are right. I got thrown off by following a wrong link when I did a search on ARUP. I still am very impressed. They have tripled in size in ten years. This is not a group that survives on the status quo...like Parsons Brinkerhoff...but has a good understanding of the future.
  Whatever happened to AeroSpace and this project? Does Aerospace still have an interest in PRT?

                                                                   Jay

Michael Weidler

Feb 9, 2010, 3:04:26 PM2/9/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

How about we solve this "unsolvable" with a simple load cell and the fact that the pod can't go anywhere unless the door is closed.

Really, video surveillance at every PRT station?  I mean yes, you can
do that, but it seems for any full PRT network it would cost a lot.
============
CCD Surviellance cameras are very cheap. I expect a couple at every station and one in every vehicle.

I think it would also be a shame to only allow cargo from cargo
shippers.  If I need to get something to you I would love to be able
to just quickly drop it at any station and you go to your station to
pick it up, if they are close.
==============
This is an incredibly stupid idea. What happens if all of the waiting cars at a station are holding for package pick up? At the very least, this idea will require special stations. They don't need to be "commercial" stations although that would be simplest. Frankly, the idea of using a pod to deliver one package strikes me as very wasteful.

Jack Slade

Feb 9, 2010, 4:22:04 PM2/9/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
It is much cheaper to install video than it is to pay an attendant. I don't want to be like a railroad and keep all the farebox for myself.

When freight is shipped, I think you will find that you have to follow whatever rules the Company has put in place, just as you do now, no matter what the carrier is.  I follow your thought, but freight doesn't load itself as people do.

However,  shipping from a passenger terminal might be a good idea, as that would permit me to have an attendant at each station, and a way to pay them other than farebox.  I still would not permit people I don't know put packages in my cars.  That would be the attendant's job....you pay him, and he does the loading.

I am not a Government, so he would do racial profiling, and X-rays

Jack Slade

Really, video surveillance at every PRT station?  I mean yes, you can
do that, but it seems for any full PRT network it would cost a lot.

I think it would also be a shame to only allow cargo from cargo
shippers.  If I need to get something to you I would love to be able
to just quickly drop it at any station and you go to your station to
pick it up, if they are close.

On Feb 8, 10:01 pm, Jack Slade <skytrek_...@rogers.com> wrote:
> Unmanned does not mean that somebody will not be watching a video if what is happening at each station..  While some of us contemplate freight via PRT, that will not happen from people-stations,  and freight-shipping stations are going to need operators.  Freight also pays more, per pound, than people, so it will still be profitable.
> > > track..

> > > --

> > > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en.

Bruce Attah

Feb 13, 2010, 6:48:34 AM2/13/10
to transport-innovators
Compared to all the alternatives, PRT is less of a terrorist threat.

With PRT, the terrorist has to go to a station, which is likely to be
monitored, and quickly load the bomb without being noticed and
stopped, and then subvert the system which is designed to ensure the
vehicle does not move until the door is closed and someone on board
presses the "start" button, and then hope that the the system doesn't
notice something is wrong and divert the vehicle from its target
destination. Not impossible, but not ideal from the terrorist's point
of view.

Cars are much more convenient for the would-be terrorist bomber than
PRT. A terrorist can go somewhere out of sight and take their time
parking it, walking away, and then detonating it remotely. This has
been done many times in the past.

Buses, trains, trucks, etc., are even bigger bomb threats, and in the
case of buses and passenger trains, there's not even any need to go
anywhere in search of a target - a convenient target is already on
board the vehicle.

Jack Slade

Feb 13, 2010, 4:33:44 PM2/13/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
It is even easier than that for track systems like railroads.  One wreck was caused here in Canada a few years ago by a juvenile and an older idiot whose motivation was just that they wanted to see a train wreck.

The method was simple.  They dragged a piece of heavy iron across the tracks, out in the countryside where there is nobody monitoring anything, and waited to watch a passenger train de-rail at full speed.  It is difficult to make trains or anything else idiot-proof.

Jack Slade

--- On Sat, 2/13/10, Bruce Attah <bruce...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Brad Templeton

Feb 15, 2010, 3:42:12 PM2/15/10
to transport-innovators

Such measures do impede with a lot of useful abilities, like putting
mommy putting a child on the PRT, and programming it to send the child
to mommy who is waiting at the destination station, and of course the
highly valuable cargo use. It's hard to stop a person from putting
their suitcase in the PRT and getting off. If you won't let them code
the destination before the door closes, it's a little harder but not
that bad.

Or is their video surveillance in every pod car too?

As to cargo -- I think moving cargo will be one of the big
applications for PRT/Robots -- in some cases as big as moving
people. As to how this works, the professional shippers don't ship
until the receiver has indicated on their mobile that they are at or
near the destination station, so the vehicles do not wait. If the
recipient does not show up, the car does not come into the station
until they signal they are close to it, and they pay by the minute to
hold the car as the price of being late.

For shippers who don't have a PRT station in their warehouse, they can
either coordinate with their recipient, pay by the minute to keep the
vehicle holding the cargo, or ship to a warehouse that holds the cargo
until the recipient signals being ready to go get the package.

Bruce Attah

Feb 15, 2010, 10:28:31 PM2/15/10
to transport-innovators
On Feb 15, 8:42 pm, Brad Templeton <brad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Such measures do impede with a lot of useful abilities, like putting
> mommy putting a child on the PRT, and programming it to send the child
> to mommy who is waiting at the destination station,

I'm not sure the above described ability is a good feature. If a child
is too young to press the "go" button themselves, they probably
shouldn't be in the vehicle on their own.

> and of course the
> highly valuable cargo use.     It's hard to stop a person from putting
> their suitcase in the PRT and getting off.  If you won't let them code
> the destination before the door closes, it's a little harder but not
> that bad.

Unaccompanied cargo should probably use separate, specialized
stations, with different security measures.

> Or is their video surveillance in every pod car too?

Buses and trains normally have video surveillance on board. Why should
PRT necessarily be different?