Chinese conference on urban transportation, Beijing, August 2-4, 2007

9 vues

Jerry Schneider

non lue,
17 mai 2007, 16:41:2117/05/2007
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
http://chinaurbantransport.com/english/index.htm
Dominated by MIT people. Vucan Vuchic from UPenn also invited (I
wonder what he will talk about!)

- Jerry Schneider -
Innovative Transportation Technologies
http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans

Walter Brewer

non lue,
17 mai 2007, 17:13:1717/05/2007
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
1), PRT needs to get an anointed member of the club.

2), Will someone please wake up USDOT?

Walt Brewer

Jerry Roane

non lue,
17 mai 2007, 17:59:0317/05/2007
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Walt

I just got a message from your USDOT boys at the federal highway administration.  Their crack team of review panel experts rejected the TriTrack proposal we prepared from their request for pre-proposals.  The good news is they did a pre-proposal rather than a full proposal so that lowered the damage they do to emerging technologies.  According to the president of the United States we are supposed to be going into oil rehab but the review panel apparently is still in the denial stage the step required before rehabilitation can even start.  The experts first have to say yes we are addicted to oil and yes we have to change if we are ever going to be free of the addictive behavior.

The federal government has been the very worst at discussions about any new ideas.  They think they can move the CAFE from 21 to 21 to 30 and be saved.  I have news!   They are not protecting the interests of the American public.  They may think they are "protecting" American large companies but in the long term they are hurting us all.  In addition to hurting the US taking a head in the sand approach will not create technology that can be utilized world wide to ease oil political pressure.

Yes, I am pissed off.

Jerry Roane

Michael Weidler

non lue,
18 mai 2007, 13:53:2018/05/2007
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry - just concentrate on that X Prize. I still think a non-guideway Tri-Track vehicle is going to take the world by storm.

Guala Luca

non lue,
18 mai 2007, 14:48:4318/05/2007
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry - just concentrate on that X Prize. I still think a non-guideway Tri-Track vehicle is going to take the world by storm.

Without the guideway fittings, wouldn't it look a lot like an evolution of this:

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/messerschmitt-kr200-58-bg.html

cheers, Luca

winmail.dat

Jerry Roane

non lue,
19 mai 2007, 00:10:0419/05/2007
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Luca

Yes Messerschmidt was an aircraft company and they understood the
principles behind aerodynamics. They did stay with a rough underbelly
though which hurts their design some and their windshield is abruptly
angled into the wind but with 9.7 hp it goes 100 kph. Try doing that
with a Hummer boxlike body. Ours is considerably larger at 20 feet
long. There is a misconception about short cars and high fuel mileage.
As you can see from the Messerschmidt design that the tail is long for
its width. The flaw that I see in their design is the flare between the
body shell and the front wheels is too large overall. That blocks the
air more than the rest of the car and is unnecessary. Also the width of
the front tires is a little narrow and and it is made of heavier
materials which will make it more tippy. The other car design that took
a similar tack is the Buckminster Fuller car. His next car after the
one that wrecked was going to have front steering like the TriTrack
rather than the top heavy rear steering design that wrecked shown in the
attachment. There have been other cars that used similar concepts. In
the patent we mention all the prior art. There was a car in the 1930s
that was a half circle, again with a rough underbelly. There have been
lots of tricycles in the past. All the designers were thinking along
the same vein to come to similar devices.

Ixnay on the izpray till they give permission to announce. My bad.

Jerry Roane

dymax.jpg

Guala Luca

non lue,
21 mai 2007, 04:37:0221/05/2007
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry,
clearly my comment about your vehicle being a heir to the Messerschmitt was a bit tongue in cheek, but not too much. The two vehicles comply to very different sets of constraints and the resulting compomise is different. The Messerschmitt had to be small, in order to appeal to motorcycle and sidecar customers, hence it could not be so aerodynamical as the TriTrack, which seems to be rather free from contstraints of length (the average European car of today, is about 4.25 m long, your TriTrack is over 6 m long!! You wouldn't sell many over here!!!).
The misconception about short cars and high mileage stems from the fact that smaller cars typically have smaller motors and less weight, which both contribute to reaching better mileage. Short cars however are more difficult to make aerodynamically sound so they achieve their best fuel economy at low speeds and stop-and-start regimes where inertia forces dominate over drag.
The Messerschmitt had to be cheap to be sold in post war Germany: hence the almost vertical plexiglass vs. your sloped plexi: plexi screens are expensive and vast, sloping ones with double curvature are expensive to make.
The large wheel fairings probably hide some complicated steering and suspension system, which would be very un-aerodynamical if left in the aiflow. You clearly managed to make all the pushrods joints and suspension stuff fit into one singe beam per wheel.
the Messerschmitt had a stinky, polluting and energetically inefficient two-stroke Schnuerle-scavenge two stroke motor: that was the cheapest and most reliable motor available at the time, and pollution was not a concern anyway.
Buckminster Fuller was a genius, but he was also an architect, witl all due respect, so he was more used to doing bright things than making them function. His car was indeed far ahead of its times and if it had been enginnered better, and better industrialized, it could have sparked a revolution in the car world. I don't know how much good this revolution would have done: we might have had cars able to achieve a far better fuel economy, or perhaps cars that exploited the better aerodynamics to go faster, and not to save fuel.
cheers, Luca

From: "Guala Luca" <gu...@systematica.net>
To: <transport-...@googlegroups.com>

Kirston Henderson

non lue,
8 août 2007, 14:09:3308/08/2007
on 8/8/07 10:45 AM, Guala Luca at gu...@systematica.net wrote:

> now it makes more sense. I hadn't understood that the tracks were actually
> "dual mode" guideways throughout their extension!

Guala Luca,

With regard to urban trams making use of the same guideway as passenger
transit systems, I suggest that you take a look at pages 11 & 12 of the
following downloadable MicroRail pdf file:

http://www.megarail.com/pdf/MCPC-ALT1.pdf

In this case, the trams are dualmode and accomplish cargo loading and
unloading at freight docks on the ground and away from passenger operations.
This approach enables cargo operations to be accomplished at all times of
the day without any possibility of interference with passenger service. It
does accomplish the objective of eliminating large amounts of trucks from
city streets.

By the way, we are probably going to initially configure our second
prototype car to demonstrate transport of these small containers and when we
do, we will get lots of photos and video.

Kirston Henderson
MegaRail® Transportation Systems, Inc.

http://www.megarail.com/

Kirston Henderson

non lue,
8 août 2007, 14:17:3908/08/2007
on 8/8/07 1:01 PM, googlemail at johne...@gmail.com wrote:

> Remember the standard transport unit will be a metric 1200 x 1000 mm 4 way
> entry pallet (probably 1200-1400 mm high), weighing 500 kilos.
>
> You are going to have to find a very smart way of transferring from tram to
> end user.

Our MicroRail cargo container will handle that size of pallet. The
containers are loaded into the containers with ordinary forklifts and the
containers are also loaded onto and removed from the cargotram vehicles
using the same method. No specialized equipment is required other than that
currently in use in most cargo handling locations.

Kirston Henderson
MegaRail®

Eric Baumgartner

non lue,
10 août 2007, 00:18:3710/08/2007
à transport-...@googlegroups.com

May I suggest that any cargo container should be able to be loaded or unloaded with a standard pallet jack.  Pallet jacks cost about $350+  whereas a forklift costs $20,000+ and requires a trained and certified operator.

Eric Baumgartner
eri...@shaw.ca
May I suggest that any cargo container should be able to be loaded or unloaded with a standard pallet jack.  Pallet jacks cost about $350+  whereas a forklift costs $20,000+ and requires a trained and certified operator.

Eric,

   Thanks for making the good point about pallet jacks.  I am very familiar with then and they Should be perfectly capable of loading and unloading most MicroRail containers as long as you have an operator strong enough to roll the load across the floor.  Of course, you can always have a couple of guys pushing the container while it is being supported on the pallet jack.

Kirston Henderson
MegaRail®

Robbert Lohmann [2getthere]

non lue,
10 août 2007, 02:25:0710/08/2007
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
In that case why not consider 'automated truck loading' by means of AGV (Automated Guided Vehicles). You get a fork-lift, get it automated, and let it do the loading of your vehicles. Saves a heck-of-a-lot of manpower, reduces time, increases efficiency and decreases damage to both the load and the transit vehicles...

We've supplied a fork-lift like this in the past and I know of competitors also supplying such solutions :-)

Robbert

Kirston Henderson schreef:
MegaRail(r)

Répondre à tous