German Cargo Cap freight moving system

9 vues

Jerry Schneider

non lue,
5 févr. 2011, 14:28:5105/02/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Uses tubes with a 2 meter diameter - appears to have a large capacity
and switching capability plus platoon-capable
http://www.cargocap.com/content/what-is-cargocap
Might be a useful technology to use for an initial underground tube
system application

- Jerry Schneider -
Innovative Transportation Technologies
http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans

eph

non lue,
7 févr. 2011, 10:40:3607/02/2011
à transport-innovators
Jerry Roan,
If someone had a cargo moving application as described above and were
willing to bankroll a system start-up, would you be willing to adapt
TriTrack for the purpose?

Is there a way to build the guideway in sections with expansion
joints?
Would it be possible to have an external switch (like many monorail)
instead of using wheels (improve aerodynamics, no need to slow down,
simplified design)?
Can the track power the vehicle with power rails mounted below the
guideway?

This seems like such a great opportunity and can be a stepping stone
to a passenger carrying TriTrack system.

F.

On Feb 5, 2:28 pm, Jerry Schneider <j...@peak.org> wrote:
> Uses tubes with a 2 meter diameter - appears to have a large capacity
> and switching capability plus platoon-capablehttp://www.cargocap.com/content/what-is-cargocap

Jerry Roane

non lue,
7 févr. 2011, 14:59:5707/02/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
F.

Yes I would be able to adapt it to freight, bulk goods or liquids movement.  One of the patented features is having a positive control of thermal expansion to avoid the clickety clack of a traditional rail but it is not required we use every patent claim.  Freight won't care if the track makes a noise.  Our guideway could easily be track switched if you think it is necessary.  My initial plan was to use a robo-car approach in the protected merge zones for autonomous "switching" of small freight.  With the 14.5" on a side triangle you would just move a long span sideways on one end to go to a new guideway path and the angle change would be small enough that no flexible track section would be required.  A switch as you describe would be a leadscrew ball nut on a short track of its own.  With freight I don't really care if we crunch a few every billion cars or whatever failure rate such a switch might have in the field.  It would be dirt simple to design and build and it would take the complexity of robo-cars out of the start up issues.  The ZoomHydro version is very energy efficient with a tiny frontal area for up to a US ton of freight or fluids.  For bulkier freight we can get quite large if we allow the guideway to carry the ADA paratransit cars and set up the guideways for clearing the 22" stretch ADA car.  A freight-only bulk carrying car could be 6 foot in diameter and that makes it 29.4' long nose tip to tail.  In a wheels-retracted version it would take essentially the same horsepower to maintain high speed of the people cars so sharing the guideway with people versions would be compatible.  The kicker for interoperability would be the linear motor would now need to be longer to back off on the .69 G takeoff to more like .2 Gs and much longer than 1500 feet launch (2925feet ).  The following distance behind a bulk freight version would be expanded but because these can keep the high speed, disruption on the guideway would be minimal.  There is no rule that the freight versions be inter-operable with the people version but it would be a cute design parameter to make them as close as makes sense for common parts and common development effort.  I have not pushed the bulk freight version much because it diverts attention away from the car I am building now but there are no rules so I could easily switch gears and do freight first.  Both freight and passenger service will be required going forward so it would be no big deal to flip the order of which comes first.  Freight in many ways will be so much easier to get permission to build a starting network.

I can easily add a power third rail under the guideway.  Again at the power level required to go fast you will see that battery operation will be  more reliable and less black dust everywhere but it would also be easy to add the power rail if it helps speed deployment.  It would be an insulated spacer then a copper fin sticking down.  The top of the rail would be one connection and the copper fin under the guideway would be the other.  With a standard UPS system on board it is possible that the rail could be intermittent so you don't have to put copper on every last foot of guideway but just enough to push the power needed to the car.   The extruded aluminum outer shell is 3/8" thick so easily drilled and tapped to attach the copper fin.  The top of the guideway would also get a copper wear bar that is common with the voltage of the aluminium.

Freight on fork lift pallets seem like the obvious choice for store-bound goods.  I can see the same forklift pallet going from the factory floor to the store isle for stocking shelves.  Automating the pallet loading and unloading would be a piece of cake and even automatically filling store shelves from standard pallets would be a great job for our local robocar advocate that could add value to the store function.

I don't want to talk too far advanced on freight and material handling but coming from the semiconductor industry where wafers are never touched by operators who sneeze and scratch their nose taking skin oil to the wafer doing material handling would be relatively simple for freight "door-to-door".

Imagine 2 tons of freight delivered at 120 MPGe for bulky goods or one ton of liquid delivered at crazy MPGe.

The price of diesel can do what it must and this new transportation solution would not be affected in the least.  As a store operation there is as much to be gained by a reduction in goods handling by stock boys and nearsighted fork lift drivers as in saving the fuel burned up getting the goods to the store.  I think if this entity willing to fund a starting system has interest in both ends of the supply chain they will do quite well against their competition.  In the modern age with 60,000 telephone apps each more complex than freight movement, it seems time to update freight to be more profitable with less labor.  It will reduce some low paying jobs but it will create a few high tech jobs too.  It will cut our nations' fuel bill and that will make us all richer.

Jerry Roane

eph

non lue,
7 févr. 2011, 15:38:5807/02/2011
à transport-innovators
2 tons of freight per 2? seconds @ 120 MPGe and180 mph on a low cost,
low maintenance, all-weather guideway!

Direct electrical connection might be better for refrigerated cars,
less weight, more space, less complex and more energy efficient.

If you could sell a railroad company on the idea of FAST freight to
complement their slow, bulky freight offering, they may fund
development?

A switch fault should cause an emergency stop, not a crash, but a very
low failure rate would be acceptable (probably still less than by
air).

I would leave the automated loading aspect to another company. Some
automated pallet loaders already exist (as you know).

F.
> coming from the semiconductor industry where wafers are *never* touched by
> operators who sneeze and scratch their nose taking skin oil to the wafer
> doing material handling would be relatively simple for freight
> "door-to-door".
>
> Imagine 2 tons of freight delivered at 120 MPGe for bulky goods or one ton
> of liquid delivered at crazy MPGe.
>
> The price of diesel can do what it must and this new transportation solution
> would not be affected in the least.  As a store operation there is as much
> to be gained by a reduction in goods handling by stock boys and nearsighted
> fork lift drivers as in saving the fuel burned up getting the goods to the
> store.  I think if this entity willing to fund a starting system has
> interest in both ends of the supply chain they will do quite well against
> their competition.  In the modern age with 60,000 telephone apps each more
> complex than freight movement, it seems time to update freight to be more
> profitable with less labor.  It will reduce some low paying jobs but it will
> create a few high tech jobs too.  It will cut our nations' fuel bill and
> that will make us all richer.
>
> Jerry Roane

Jerry Roane

non lue,
7 févr. 2011, 16:48:0207/02/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
F.

I thought you had a specific funding source in mind.  I talked to the MoPac railroad and they were willing to rent me a stripe of their right of way but were not really interested in guideway competing for their cash cow which is freight.  I am not sure about the all-weather part but most weather.  The 2 tons version takes a beefier guideway with a strong steel rib sticking down from the triangle.  The 1 ton version keeps the petite triangle.  To feed cars every two seconds I think you need a fully functional merge zone.  It would be a trick to max out a guideway with mechanical switches but with a big enough switch yard I guess you could get to one every two seconds.  The merge zone with robo-cars running would be fairly easy to get to one car ever 2 seconds or 86,400 tons per day per guideway.

At high speed the need for Freon based refrigeration is diminished with excellent insulation and packed with ice or dry ice depending on temperature range requirements.  At speed that is three miles per minute so a trip across a 30 mile town would not melt frozen items if there is no waiting before being put back into the freezer on the receiving end.

Jerry Roane

eph

non lue,
7 févr. 2011, 18:04:4707/02/2011
à transport-innovators
I think there is a clear niche as expressed in the above effort but
TriTrack/ZoomHydro would be a better solution, at least for North-
American distances between cities.

I've been thinking about CN rail and Alcoa as potential investors (any
railroad or aluminum producer would do and there are lots). Rail
companies because they have the right of way and "logistics"
business. Aluminum producer because the guideways would require
significant quantities of aluminum. I don't see this as competition
for rail, it's a pure moneymaker for them. The ability to deliver
freight intercity in a few hours followed by bulk rail shipment to
deliver a continuous stream of supply. The ability to supplement
loads on demand, all from the same carrier. They already have the
ports. They already have the sales personnel and clientele. The
potential seems huge.

How much of an investment would be needed to get a test track with a
switch up and running? How long? What's the harm in pitching the
idea?

BTW, why not use aluminum as a conductor and avoid an extra supplier
and corrosion problems connecting the copper wear rail to the aluminum
guideway? Battery power may be a better option if power is
unavailable in some areas or a combination as you stated earlier where
powered sections could recharge the battery (like when it zips through
a town where power is readily available).

Ice and dry ice would require extra handling and supply stream.
Refrigeration units are simple and available. I suppose if you make
it the sender's responsibility it works, but it limits your offering a
bit. Produce is one of the things that needs to move fast and stay
cool for example.

F.

On Feb 7, 4:48 pm, Jerry Roane <jerry.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> F.
>
> I thought you had a specific funding source in mind.  I talked to the MoPac
> railroad and they were willing to rent me a stripe of their right of way but
> were not really interested in guideway competing for their cash cow which is
> freight.  I am not sure about the all-weather part but most weather.  The 2
> tons version takes a beefier guideway with a strong steel rib sticking down
> from the triangle.  The 1 ton version keeps the petite triangle.  To feed
> cars every two seconds I think you need a fully functional merge zone.  It
> would be a trick to max out a guideway with mechanical switches but with a
> big enough switch yard I guess you could get to one every two seconds.  The
> merge zone with robo-cars running would be fairly easy to get to one car
> ever 2 seconds or 86,400 tons per day per guideway.
>
> At high speed the need for Freon based refrigeration is diminished with
> excellent insulation and packed with ice or dry ice depending on temperature
> range requirements.  At speed that is three miles per minute so a trip
> across a 30 mile town would not melt frozen items if there is no waiting
> before being put back into the freezer on the receiving end.
>
> Jerry Roane

Jerry Roane

non lue,
7 févr. 2011, 22:59:3907/02/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
F.

I think Alcoa would be perfect but they are such a huge corporation there is no way to talk to them.  If you know how to get to a level that could make a decision about investing in aluminum highways that would be a great contribution.  I tried a few times but got nowhere.  The amount of aluminum we are talking about would be a good sale even for such a big company.  I have not yet tried CN rail but I am up for anything.  It is just difficult to get past the protections set up to keep out the riffraff.  At some point of trying we just look like riffraff to them.  Putting elevated guideway along the edge of all their rail lines would make them a lot of money and they could compete with FedEx for speed at a rail cost.  That differential could be profits to the established rail operator.  You realize that but the trick is to get them to first hear what is possible, then the big step getting them to believe that it could be.

The belief part is where the federal railroad administration "expert" launched his torpedo.  That guy no longer works for the taxpayers if he ever worked on behalf of the taxpayers but his next job.  Long story with some history but needless to say the expert could not believe TriTrack and he ruined any part of the railroad administration looking at advanced approaches upon his "retirement".  There could also be federal laws that would be broken if railroad companies don't run railroads as defined by the US Dot railroad administration.  If you take a critical eye to railroad operations they are somewhere back in the 1950s.  To them modernization is to put a lo-jack on the boxcars so they can find them.  The railroads are defined as the two steel rail versions on ties.  Guideway does not legally qualify as rail according to the head of the railroad administration I talked to at the high speed rail conference.  That puts us in uneasy legal territory since the feds feed money to railroads on occasion for track upkeep.

Jerry Roane

eph

non lue,
8 févr. 2011, 02:24:4008/02/2011
à transport-innovators
I can see that getting to the top can be a problem and connections
would help. It also helps to have a credible proposal/plan ready to
go if the opportunity arises.

Alcoa has a wheel and transportation subsidiary - they make aluminum
wheels for cars and trucks and other parts. Posco (the steel company)
invested in Vectus. It isn't a stretch to think there is a
possibility that an aluminum company would invest. The payoff could
be substantial.

Railways don't have to compete with fedex, they can carry freight for
them, just like any other freight (unless there is a connection I'm
missing). It's much easier than trying to set up a new competing
business especially if you start with only one line along a busy
corridor.

Railway rights of way were used for fibre-optics and that created a
class action suit. AFAIK, fibre-optics still run along rail ROW. So
they aren't closed off to ideas, especially money making ideas. I
think there is a good fit there too.

The fact that they are huge corporations means they have the money to
invest in a potentially game-changing but somewhat risky venture.
Maybe they only enter later on the game, I don't know. Alcoa might
invest in building the prototype and the rail companies would be
clients (exclusive clients or special rights might get them investing
early). If you could get both ends to agree, you'd have a seller and
buyer ready to do the deal. I guess Alcoa would buy shares in
ZoomHydro and contribute money and material and the payoff comes when
the rail companies buy the system. The rail companies make money by
selling FAST freight service.

Creative people find ways to make things happen. Just posting this
idea might open doors - who knows.

F.

On Feb 7, 10:59 pm, Jerry Roane <jerry.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> F.

> read more »

Jack Slade

non lue,
8 févr. 2011, 03:45:3108/02/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
I don't think railroads are a possible source of funding. I have never heard of a rail Company that does any R & D funding either, except I imagine they do give money to Universities in return for the some of the projects that are done there.

I once had a sort of verbal agreement from a small Steel Company (Retail) to take a look at what I planned, and possibly build a test syetem if it could be done within my 10 million buck estimate, but that was a long time ago, before I had even built my bench model. The Company changed hands, and I never did get to meet the new owners. From this, I suggest that smaller Companies that are looking to increase their sales are much easier to meet, and deal with, than the large Corporations.

Some of Alcoa's retail outlets are multi-million dollar businesses, but you would have to make an agreement that they are your supplier, and own a piece of the action.

Jack Slade

--- On Tue, 2/8/11, Jerry Roane <jerry...@gmail.com> wrote:

eph

non lue,
8 févr. 2011, 08:53:5308/02/2011
à transport-innovators
"Alcoa annually invests approximately 1% of its revenues in R&D, which
is helping to build a foundation for Alcoa’s future."
http://www.alcoa.com/global/en/innovation/info_page/home.asp

F.

On Feb 8, 3:45 am, Jack Slade <skytrek_...@rogers.com> wrote:
> I don't think railroads are a possible source of funding. I have never heard of a rail Company that does any R & D funding either, except I imagine they do give money to Universities in return for the some of the projects that are done there.
>
> I once had a sort of verbal agreement from a small Steel Company (Retail) to take a look at what I planned, and possibly build a test syetem if it could be done within my 10 million buck estimate, but that was a long time ago, before I had even built my bench model. The Company changed hands, and I never did get to meet the new owners. From this, I suggest that smaller Companies that are looking to increase their sales are much easier to meet, and deal with, than the large Corporations.
>
> Some of Alcoa's retail outlets are multi-million dollar businesses, but you would have to make an agreement that they are your supplier, and own a piece of the action.
>
> Jack Slade
>
> --- On Tue, 2/8/11, Jerry Roane <jerry.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > at 5:04 PM, eph <rhapsodi...@yahoo.com>
>
> read more »

Jerry Roane

non lue,
8 févr. 2011, 13:05:0908/02/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
F.

I have several business plans laying around.  I usually write a fresh one each time there is an opportunity.  So much changes with time that data gets stale very quickly.  Also each investment entity has such diverse goals you cannot make a generic presentation for a bigger funding request.  I have noticed that the age bracket of investors tend to be older and so you have to play to their experience and past decisions they have made.   We have to be respectful of how the human brain functions generally and adjust the presentation to the individuals in the room.  The most important thing to scope out is what time horizon are they thinking about.  The other part is how fast have they developed things and that will be their measure against what we propose.  If we give a time table that is too fast or too slow from their experience it will get a huge discount and then every other word out will get the same or more discount.  If we ask for too little investment in their eyes then again in their eyes we will be discounted regardless of data of quotes or facts.  It takes a little bit of two way communications to get to where you can write a proper proposal.  I have to get a feel for the reader or the probability of stepping on a mental land mine is too great because of the number of land mines in a network solution.

The first step will be to get an inside contact at a high enough level to make such an investment decision.  Once that individual of committee is identified then we need to call and chat to get inside their motivations and key objectives.  Once we have a direction I can bang out a proposal and dog and pony show in about a week of intense cut and paste of my previous presentations.

If you are able to get to the right people at Alcoa that would be fantastic.

One comment about rail competition-- Railroads sell freight ton-miles with a bulk factor tacked on at an insanely low price per ton.  Fedex sells dependable service that you can count on being there the next day.  Fedex per ton is incredibly expensive.  If rail was able to deliver tons over night where it was never a question that it would be there overnight they could get a lot more money per ton.  I paid $40 to get my proposal to Lubbock to be turned down.  It weighed about 4 pounds so on a per ton basis I paid $20,000 per ton to Fedex to be sure the papers got there and I got my date stamp for a valid bid.  Of course it should have gone as an email attachment for free because it was all just data but the government purchasing system is back in the 1950s and they required that I make three copies before sending.  Like they couldn't turn it down off of a digital version and I save the 40 bucks and the Earth saves the CO2.  16 hours across the country.  If the railroad could deliver overnight or same day for 1/2 the price of Fedex they would make a lot of money and Fedex would be in trouble.  So far railroads are not at all competition for Fedex.  With higher speeds guideway would crush air travel for overnight shipments in all measures.  Energy, pollution, dependability (airport weather delays) cost, smooth handling, barometric pressure extremes.  the list goes on.

Jerry Roane

--

Jack Slade

non lue,
8 févr. 2011, 13:05:1908/02/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
I looked at the type of grants they  give.  It is usually to Academic Institutes, for such purposes as climate investigations.  Some are industry-related...new product developement, mining techniques, etc. I suppose the material used for new stations might interest them, even if the rest of the system uses little of their product.

Starting discussions with any large outfit is often better if you have an acquaintance with somebody inside, who can steer you to the right people.  Arousing curiosity is more effective than putting a pile of documentation in front of somebody who is not interested.

Jack Slade

--- On Tue, 2/8/11, eph <rhaps...@yahoo.com> wrote:

eph

non lue,
8 févr. 2011, 14:13:3608/02/2011
à transport-innovators
I read the investments too and agree, though they may not publicize
some of their smaller, more risky investments until they have a
business and a name. Or maybe it's just too soon for them to invest,
though Posco seems to have been on board from early on. I was
thinking specifically about TriTrack in this case with it's aluminum
guideway. That is a distinctive feature that can be exploited. I
imagine the cars' chassis could also be of aluminum making this
project attractive to Aluminum producers.

Of course, an insider would be ideal, but failing that, do you just
give up?

Jerry Roane,
I imagine a more general pitch can be made without much insight into
the target audience by setting ranges like: [1 million investment and
10 years] to [$15 million and 1 year] to get to stage 1... It would
at least give the reader a sense of whether this can work or not
within their personal expectations. I imagine aluminum producer would
want to know how much aluminum per km of guideway and per vehicle
(again, can be a range). Railroad owners might want to know if track-
side installation is feasible (Can the operation be conducted from a
flatbed railcar for example?)

I feel this TriTrack Fast Freight idea has so much potential it
deserves its own web space, separate from the passenger version to
avoid confusion.
- 180 mph freight delivery
- High energy efficiency.
- 1800 ton per hour potential
- Fully Automated
- Low cost, low maintenance, weatherproof guideway

Distinguishing features:
- Aluminum guideway
- Aerodynamic vehicle shape
- Triangular guideway
- LIM assisted drive.

As for FedEx, I think you would still pay the same amount but FedEx
profits and railroad profits would increase and you would profit by
selling, installing and maybe running and maintaining TriTrack.

F.

On Feb 8, 1:05 pm, Jack Slade <skytrek_...@rogers.com> wrote:
> I looked at the type of grants they  give.  It is usually to Academic Institutes, for such purposes as climate investigations.  Some are industry-related...new product developement, mining techniques, etc. I suppose the material used for new stations might interest them, even if the rest of the system uses little of their product.
>
> Starting discussions with any large outfit is often better if you have an acquaintance with somebody inside, who can steer you to the right people.  Arousing curiosity is more effective than putting a pile of documentation in front of somebody who is not interested.
>
> Jack Slade
>

> --- On Tue, 2/8/11, eph <rhapsodi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> read more »

eph

non lue,
8 févr. 2011, 14:22:2608/02/2011
à transport-innovators
Sorry, just checked the term "fast freight" and I get trucks.

I guess Brad has the right terminology, it is High-Speed Freight, so
TriTrack High-Speed Freight.

F.

> read more »

Jerry Roane

non lue,
9 févr. 2011, 12:11:0709/02/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
F.

The current extruded design of the guideway is 10 pounds of aluminum per foot.  The eventual guideway goal is half that wall thickness or 5 pounds per foot.  We propose a grid system for the biggest 30 population centers in America with 2,000 miles of guideway per city average.  The extruded material for urban movement would be 158,400 tons of aluminum for the urban areas.  City to city connections would be bracketed by the number of Interstate highway miles of 65,000.  To build two direction guideway to crisscross the nation would take 343,200 tons of aluminum.  So Alcoa would be looking at a total of 1/2 million tons for a starting grid as a gross order of magnitude number.  As a grounding number their Massena plant in New York would be a year and a half of production from that one plant bringing in 1/2 billion dollars and 1,100 jobs to the community there.  The reduction in aluminum in trolleys, buses and airplanes would offset this number some.  Once guideway is in place infill can keep the aluminum flowing for quite a while.  Other countries will also want aluminum guideway so Alcoa could be a leader if they chose that path.  Each car now has about 180 pounds of aluminum and less than 40 pounds of steel.  With more elaborate tooling and coring and ribs I could get that aluminum weight down another 20% pretty easy.

The third patent describes the TriTracker which is the machine that produces guideway and leaves the rolled-to-shape guideway in its wake.  This could easily roll up onto a standard rail car and produce guideway on the old telephone right of way that the railroad had before the phone company grew.  The rail right of way has to be clear of combustible material because of sparks off the rails setting grass fires.  This makes the right of way plenty wide for a TriTrack pole on the edge of the property.

I think the right person at Alcoa could make this happen very quickly.  Finding that person and being allowed to talk to that person is the trick.

Jerry Roane

> read more »

eph

non lue,
9 févr. 2011, 13:02:0409/02/2011
à transport-innovators
I get about 15 metric tons per km @ 10 pounds/foot.
I get $33,000 per km @ $1/pound, more if extrusion process is part of
the aluminum supplier's business.
A (2-way) 600 km Toronto-Montreal intercity link would bring in $40
million in aluminum sales for the guideway.
6.5 vehicles per km, 7500 vehicles (max.), maybe another $1 million.

Considering the size of pallets, American ones are 48"x40", it may be
better to go with a larger 2 ton version of TriTrack, so the beefier
guideway and more aluminum. Space for 3 or four skids would maximize
bulk vs weight trade-offs and aerodynamic resistance (more freight per
vehicle).

Initially at least, I would expect a simpler approach of placing
prefabricated beams onto posts could be used. This would avoid the
R&D, time and capital expense of constructing the TriTracker. Also,
the track would not be tied up as long as it would be with an in-place
extrusion machine.

F.

On Feb 9, 12:11 pm, Jerry Roane <jerry.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> F.

> read more »

Jerry Roane

non lue,
9 févr. 2011, 14:04:0109/02/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
F.

The aluminum is the one time bendable concrete form and serves as the smooth rolling surface.  The strength of the beam is 200,000 psi steel rods inside a high tech concrete cast beam.  Once the concrete sets the aluminum is just neutral baggage as far as beam strength goes.  It holds about its own weight.  To get the double weight version we run a steel fin down from the triangle.  Depending on commodity steel prices this may be mild steel or it could be high strength steel that will change as prices change almost daily.  If the bottom fin will be deeper if we use lower strength steel.  You are not the only one asking for heavier and the trade off is always how much more expensive will thousands of miles be if we add the next weight increment.  At one car every two seconds per guideway I doubt we would fill up capacity with things that fit physically.  As for the pallet.  Those are throw away items and in a transition they will wear out long before they obsolete so going to a round configuration makes more sense than staying with the square.  Airplanes all use round containers to get the most value and no one had to work hard to convince them to go to an appropriate pallet and container configuration.  Cubes are cute but 99.9% items for sale in stores fit on a store shelf.  The store shelf item is the size to work out all other sizes from.  Wooden pallets driven around by high school students working night shift are beat to death and the products are damaged at a great loss to the supply chain.  Simple proof go to any appliance or furniture store and ask for the scratch and dent department.  There will be thousands of dollars worth of inventory sitting unsold that is gouged and broken by the pallet system today.  All totally preventable with a more precise pallet and round container scheme.  In one of my college jobs I loaded UPS trucks on the bone yard shift.  Not only did I see what boxes got crushed I was the one crushing them.  If a box had too many warnings telling me be careful it got tossed the furtherest to the front of the truck.  The boxes are stacked floor to ceiling in walls of boxes to maximize the truck volume.  The bad part is 30% of boxes are crushed to some degree from the weight of the top boxes.  You transfer the loads at the hubs so the odds of your package not being smashed go down with each reload of the truck it is sorted to.  With TriTrack doing quick freight no package would be under too many other boxes to do all that damage.  Today it is just accepted that boxes are going to be crushed and before you get your new home appliance into place that it will sustain damage to the skin.  With a more precise definition of the pallet made to fit the circle we can all but eliminate the scrap from freight damage and we can get more stuff on each shipment.  Because shipments are much cheaper we don't even have to max out every last inch of the vehicle because the cost to ship a partial is so low it does not matter.  Just some thoughts.

I didn't check your math.  I assume you did all the conversions right.  I would suggest having a lot more vehicles though.  They will make great temporary storage for inventory that may not fit in the building but can still be in a secure area.  The difference between the 5 pounds per foot and the 10 pounds per foot is not the weight of the expected load but the size of the extrusion press.  A larger press can smash a thinner wall tube.  Presently the largest presses can only do a 3/8" wall and with some more development I think I can get a slightly bigger press to do a 3/16" wall on the triangular tube.  This is not a show stopper even if the extrusion press cannot be improved because we can extrude larger and mill the walls down to exactly any wall thickness we want.  We would then add the energy to recycle the milling strings back into billet.  I am still on the fence about whether we will precision grind the rolling surface after all processes have settled in.  Aluminum can be ground with the proper lubricant to an extremely smooth mirror finish.  I have had lots of precision aluminum parts made for semiconductor manufacturing process tooling in my day.  There are a lot of ways to shave off the straight walls of the aluminum to get to 5 pounds per foot from 10 pounds per foot.  Wire EDM cuts aluminum very fact compared to steel as another process that could lower the aluminum necessary.  Of course if Alcoa was funding it they may want to leave it thick and sell more aluminum.  The extrusion of aluminum is at a set speed to get the proper finish.  It is about walking speed so extruding guideway happens at this pace of about 3 mph or so.  It would not tie up the railroad rails much at all to build guideway.

Attached is an earlier image I sent out showing pallets inside the standard TriTrack.  A 6 foot diameter one would hold considerably more volume than the 49" diameter people version shown.

Jerry Roane

> read more »

freightpallet.jpg

eph

non lue,
9 févr. 2011, 15:48:2109/02/2011
à transport-innovators
I'm always amazed that you've thought about all this stuff in the past
and that it isn't on the website.

So the guideway stays the same size but is reinforced - got it.

No reason to waste material I suppose, unless the cost to trim away
the extra aluminum exceeds the savings in material substantially.

This is a wrinkle I hadn't seen. Railroads deal in LARGE containers
and quantities, much larger than TriTrack can hold so there is no rail
standard for freight. But the idea is to augment the offering with
High-Speed Freight. Moving pallets around is fairly straightforward
and common enough. Moving packages around would require more
infrastructure if it must go from one container shape to another as it
does by air. I'm seeing package handlers, conveyor belts, sorting
equipment...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_delivery

I did some more math to relate the area of a disc to the area of the
contained square plane and got pi/2. So the profile area for wind
drag is 57% larger than the square it encloses. Put another way, it's
a 57% penalty on the drag coefficient. So the question is: Is there a
better shape to haul a pallet? In any case, .15 Cd isn't bad if you
add 57% to .9 Cd and some of that space is used by the guideway...
Obviously, filling the shape with smaller packages is more efficient.

Maybe even adding pallet handling to railroad logistics would be too
difficult? This is where knowing someone in the industry would
help... Maybe you're right, since the speed is comparable to air,
(small) package handling is what is needed?

F.

On Feb 9, 2:04 pm, Jerry Roane <jerry.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> F.

> read more »
>
>  freightpallet.jpg
> 75KViewDownload

Jack Slade

non lue,
9 févr. 2011, 16:35:4609/02/2011
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
If I may comment,  I think you are getting back into the same old" Bigger is better" argument thai probably made Morgantown the huge system that it is,  instead of more and smaller vehicles, and the Raytheon excercise where they quadrupled the size of everything and ended up with something that the City thought was too expensive.

Cost is related to size.  Convenience is related to size.  Ease of construction is related to size. Aren't you falling into the same trap that ruined the early systems?

Jack Slade

From: eph <rhaps...@yahoo.com>
To: "transport-innovators" <transport-...@googlegroups.com>
Répondre à tous