Interesting article on why LA's Metro Green Line doesn't reach LAX

1 view

Roy Reynolds

Jan 9, 2008, 1:26:01 PM1/9/08
to transport-innovators

Walter Brewer

Jan 9, 2008, 2:25:03 PM1/9/08
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
My comments printed in the Daily Breeze:

The parking lot owners, and the 0.3 percent shuttle users say it all. Why
spend $ millions, when they could be better used to make the overwhelming
auto user access to the airport more convenient and faster. Let's build what
the travelers need, not what underused mass transit promoters want to build
and operate at great subsidy.

This somewhat resembles the situation at San Diego. The LRT lines goes
within about 1/2 mile of the airport. So transit promotors want to build an
LRT spur. Meanwhile a 10 min schedule shuttle has been operating to/from
downtown and its rail and bus terminals, and like the LA case carries
negligable travelers and a few workers.
Another plan is for a mutimodal terminal on the nearby LRT line. So drive
there in sight of the terminals and transfer with all impedimentia to a bus
to terminals. Now almost everyone is able to drive, take shuttles etc within
an easy walk.
Fortunately added parking is being built.

PRT could enter this situation with several outlying stations near parking
and other transit lines more convenient for driving. Then take cleared
travelers, and checked baggage directly to designated gate areas.I think
Jerry R was suggesting about the same approach. This would probably lessen
the need to expand some roadways near the airport.

Walt Brewer

Michael Weidler

Jan 10, 2008, 2:59:45 PM1/10/08
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
OMG!  That quote by Ruth Galanter is priceless!  "I used to believe in conspiracies, until I discovered incompetence."

I ought to but that on a t-shirt and wear it to work!