NYTimes.com: Guided by Computers and Sensors, a Smooth Ride at 60 Miles Per Hour

1 vue

andre...@gmail.com

non lue,
9 oct. 2010, 15:06:4309/10/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
The New York Times E-mail This
This page was sent to you by:  andre...@gmail.com

SCIENCE   | October 10, 2010
Smarter Than You Think:  Guided by Computers and Sensors, a Smooth Ride at 60 Miles Per Hour
By JOHN MARKOFF
Designers of self-driving cars have made advances in detecting pedestrians, street lights and lane markers, as well as in resolving conflicting sensor data.

Copyright 2010  The New York Times Company | Privacy Policy

Dave Petrie

non lue,
9 oct. 2010, 16:14:3609/10/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
The automation of driver functions has the potential of being safer than the average driver. But we should not lose sight of the more global objectives: Increasing throughput on our existing highways, reducing dependence on foreign oil, reducing GHG. This means higher density is required to achieve the necessary throughput.

The AHS* experiment in San Diego tried to do this, with cars having headways of a few feet. But due to fail-safe requirements, we will Never Get There. That is, we cannot afford to have a haystack wreck several times a month somewhere on our national freeway network. To achieve the fault tolerance to, say, the level of a modern airliners (FBW) flight control system (my specialty at Boeing) is not possible in the environment of the AHS concept. (too many places for faults to sneak into the system)

*AHS- Automated Highway System

Brad Templeton

non lue,
9 oct. 2010, 17:33:2609/10/2010
à transport-innovators
My comments on Google's new cars are here: http://ideas.4brad.com/google-robocar-breakthrough

Pretty limited until I get a chance to see the cars later this week.

While I have outlined the many benefits of robocars here and at
robocars.com, I focus the most on non-capacity issues. But there are
quite a number of factors where robocars increase road capacity
greatly, especially once they come to dominate the road. And closer
drafting is actually among the least of them!

Some of the other ones include:

a) The promotion of the use of half-width cars that can go 2 to a
lane, including 2 person "face to face" cars.
b) Better regulation of traffic volumes to not exceed road capacity,
resulting in major reductions in congestion.
c) Also not having accidents, rubbernecking and engaging in less
rational human behaviours that cause congestion even with no accident.
d) Perfect synchrony with traffic lights
e) Automatic load balancing of road networks to make use of large
amounts of unused capacity
f) Dynamic rerouting of roads (ie. make 7/8 of all lanes go inward in
morning, outward in afternoon) for 1.75x increase in surface capacity
g) Reliable elimination of street parking at high load times, for a
major increase of capacity on narrower roads. (Consider a 40' wide
street that today has 2 lanes of parked cars and 1 10' wide lane each
way, changed to 7 lanes all in the same direction for 4' wide 1-2
person cars, with no congestion or stopping for lights and stop signs
that's as much as 10x increase in capacity on that one street.)
h) Dynamic robo-bus service where 20 pod robocars converge in a small
lot at the same time, everybody walks onto a bus which then crosses
the high-load area to a spot where 20 other single person pods wait to
disperse the occupants. While not likely to be needed much, this
allows immense increases in capacity.

All of this without changing headways for drafting.

However, many of these are for a future world with a high density of
robocars. Let's not lose sight of the importance of Google's
announcement, which is a fleet of cars that are doing remarkable
things *today*. Driving 1,000 miles of city streets and highways, in
traffic, without a human even thinking an intervention might be
needed. While many have called my robocar predictions optimistic,
this has happened even sooner than I expected.

On Oct 9, 1:14 pm, "Dave Petrie" <DavePet...@comcast.net> wrote:
> E-Mail ThisThe automation of driver functions has the potential of being safer than the average driver. But we should not lose sight of the more global objectives: Increasing throughput on our existing highways, reducing dependence on foreign oil, reducing GHG. This means higher density is required to achieve the necessary throughput.
>
> The AHS* experiment in San Diego tried to do this, with cars having headways of a few feet. But due to fail-safe requirements, we will Never Get There. That is, we cannot afford to have a haystack wreck several times a month somewhere on our national freeway network. To achieve the fault tolerance to, say, the level of a modern airliners (FBW) flight control system (my specialty at Boeing) is not possible in the environment of the AHS concept. (too many places for faults to sneak into the system)
>
> *AHS- Automated Highway System

Brad Templeton

non lue,
11 oct. 2010, 13:12:0811/10/2010
à transport-innovators

Should note that the link above is actually to a sidebar on the
article, the main article is at https://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/science/10google.html?_r=3&ref=technology

There is also a video and some graphics.

On Oct 9, 12:06 pm, andress....@gmail.com wrote:
> This page was sent to you by: andress....@gmail.com.
>
> SCIENCE | October 10, 2010
> Smarter Than You Think: Guided by Computers and Sensors, a Smooth Ride at 60 Miles Per Hour
> By JOHN MARKOFF
> Designers of self-driving cars have made advances in detecting pedestrians, street lights and lane markers, as well as in resolving conflicting sensor data.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/science/10googleside.html?emc=eta1

> ABOUT THIS E-MAIL
> This e-mail was sent to you by a friend through NYTimes.com's E-mail This Article service.  For general information about NYTimes.com, write to h...@nytimes.com.
>
> NYTimes.com 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

Jay Andress

non lue,
11 oct. 2010, 15:14:2511/10/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
One of the interesting items mentioned in the article is the legal liability issue. I think this is a significant issue not just for this technology but for all technologies that seek to automate the driving process (ie: PRT and DM)
   With automobile automation, if there is an accident...does Google get sued? There have got to be about a million lawyers in the US that would say yes with a big smile on their face. With the current automobile the driver is at fault 99.9 % of the time (I imagine that some mechanical problems that cause accidents get blamed on the driver)
   This raises two issues...is the US the best place to develop our technologies? how do you limit liability for your system?
                                                                            Jay
--

Richard Gronning

non lue,
11 oct. 2010, 16:15:2511/10/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
All modern commercial aircraft can land themselves.

If there is an accident, the pilot(s) are held responsible.

PILOT ERROR!

Dick

WALTER BREWER

non lue,
11 oct. 2010, 17:23:2211/10/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Has there been a commercial aircraft landing accident when the autopilot was in control?

Walt Brewer
--

Brad Templeton

non lue,
11 oct. 2010, 17:58:0311/10/2010
à transport-innovators
There have been accidents involving the "autopilot" (Landings are
done by a system a bit more complex than the ordinary level flight
autopilot.) It's rare in part because if conditions are unusual, the
crew will land manually. Just touching the yoke will disengage the
autopilot. The throttle control I think takes a more complex
adjustment to turn off. There have also been incidents where
autopilots were disengaged, and it was judged that keeping the
automatic system on would have done better. Eastern 401 crashed
because the pilots did not realize they had turned off their
autopilot.

There have been some non-crash incidents on Quantas with autopilot
failure causing strange activities. The autopilots were
disengaged. I believe in the recent Buffalo crash, the pilots left
the autopilot on in severe icing when it is not designed for that, and
this contributed. There are other incidents of pilots trusting
autopilots where they should not. (The ones who overshot the airport
150 miles on NorthWest were quite probably asleep, but won't admit
it.)

Of course often ILS landings are done in zero visibility so the pilots
can't see anything (except their instruments) if they take over the
aircraft. They are still landing based on what their computers and
instruments tell them.

The USAir landing in the Hudson river was on "manual" but it was a fly-
by-wire aircraft that had specific software modes to do the right
things in a water landing, and it has been advanced that a regular
human pilot probably would not land the plane safely on the water
without the software systems doing their thing. I believe there had
never been a no-injury water landing of a commercial jet prior to this
accident, and of course the aircraft was still destroyed but all
aboard got out -- because they were surrounded in minutes by rescue
boats.

Richard Gronning

non lue,
11 oct. 2010, 19:48:3411/10/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
None that I could either remember or find.

Approaches? Another matter! Remember the icing accident in Buffalo where the plane was on autopilot in icing conditions.

It's a good question Walt, because people should know that there can be a problem with a, "Change of command." What happens if a vehicle is traveling along a highway and the "driver" decides to disconnect the auto-controller? In 99% of the cases, nothing unusual. But, how about unusual traffic conditions? Icy roads? Fog?  What happens if the controller wants to go in one direction and the live person wants to go in another?

Dick