"Bullet train coming to California ballots" csmonitor 4/9 (CHSRA, H$R v. ..)

Jerry Schneider

Nov 5, 2008, 8:04:18 PM11/5/08
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

It looks like the massive Sound Transit Prop. 1
in Seattle is also going to win approval - but no final tally yet.
>Calif. voters approve $10B bond for bullet trains
>
>http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hPp5hvBKhiO1W5qP1obrGVE9vWVwD94925900
>
>LOS ANGELES (AP) Nov 5 — California voters are green-lighting the nation's
>most ambitious high-speed rail system, approving a nearly $10 billion
>bond to put speeding bullet trains capable of topping 200 mph between
>the state's major metropolitan areas.
>
>The measure, which passed with 52 percent support Tuesday, will fund
>the first phase of what is projected to be a $45 billion, 800-mile
>project built with state, federal, local and private money.
>
>Backers sold the proposal as an innovative alternative to soaring
>airfares and gas prices. In the closing weeks of the campaign, they
>touted estimates that it would create nearly 160,000 construction-
>related jobs and 450,000 permanent jobs.
>
>"In our state, transportation is always a big issue," said Mark
>Baldassare, president of the nonpartisan, nonprofit Public Policy
>Institute of California. "A lot of people have a sense that maybe that
>(bullet train) is something I can use at some point. It's something
>they can relate to."
>
>The first phase of the rail line would link Anaheim, Los Angeles,
>Fresno and San Francisco. Planners eventually want to include
>Sacramento, San Diego and Oakland.
>
>The $9.9 billion proposition includes $9 billion for bullet trains and
>$950 million for conventional commuter and intercity rail, including
>trains to connect travelers with the high-speed system.
>
>"Californians decided to reduce our oil dependence, to build
>alternatives to traffic and long airport lines, and to help solve
>global warming. Californians were also voting to boost the economy,"
>said Emily Rusch of the California Public Interest Research Group.
>
>High-speed rail lines are well established in Europe and Japan, but
>not the United States. Amtrak's Acela Express, linking Boston, New
>York and Washington, D.C., is the only U.S. rail line that tops the
>125 mph considered "high speed" by international standards, and even
>that line averages far slower over the course of its full run.
>
>California's plan still needs support from federal and local
>governments and private investments. Supporters say that with enough
>money, the first trains could be running in six years and the entire
>system could be completed by 2020.
>
>Opponents also fear the measure might not pay for itself and require
>ongoing subsidies. An environmental group, meanwhile, has sued over
>the proposed route from the Central Valley to the San Francisco Bay
>area.
>
>California's effort has been 14 years in development, since it was
>first recommended by a commission in 1994.
>
>On Apr 9, 2008, at 9:50 AM, MagNews wrote:
>
> > LOS ANGELES_ ".. In November, Ms. Jardine will be able to vote on a
> > 220-m.p.h. bullet train, which would zip serenely from San Francisco
> > to Los Angeles in 2.5 hours. .. Yearly grosses from the rail's
> [...]

Walter Brewer

Nov 5, 2008, 10:33:52 PM11/5/08
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
The "catch" in all this: Note the 800 miles, twice the distance LA-San Fran.
Also even from the initial $10 billion, nearly $one billion for commuter
rail, connections etc.
This is simply superimposing a new rail net in the State, part of which is
already there and underused. Ave speed will be slightly higher, and nowhere
near competitive with airlines. Wait till shoes off security hits HSRail.

Walt Brewer