Winona news - no joy

Jerry Schneider

Mar 24, 2010, 8:22:12 PM3/24/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
http://bit.ly/aUYc4I - unproven? - maybe he thinks Sky Web Express
is the only PRT system available? Anyone know what his knowledge
level might be?

- Jerry Schneider -
Innovative Transportation Technologies
http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans

Richard Gronning

Mar 24, 2010, 10:06:14 PM3/24/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
It may be a DEM - REP thing. The democrats have been lobbied to death by
the LRT folks. Our CPRT group did informational lobbying a few years
back. The republicans would hear us out, but the democrats would either
not see us, or show us glazed-over eyes. "That's REAL nice!" And, out-a
here.

I doubt if he even knows what PRT stands for let alone what it looks like.

Things ARE changing, but maybe not where this guy comes from.

It IS true that SWE/T2C made the first bid on the project. The mayor is
enamored with T2C. The idea behind the effort is to prove a
Minnesota-based system. He doesn't get that either.

Dick

Jerry Roane

Mar 24, 2010, 11:48:01 PM3/24/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry

Notice he is not even asking for the funding but is personally standing in the way.  How much does it cost him to ask the question?  I did not have the time to submit TriTrack to Minn.  I have enough snakes to kill around here but perhaps I should have submitted something to show support for my buds in Minn.

Jerry Roane

Jack Slade

Mar 25, 2010, 3:03:36 AM3/25/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
At a guess (scale of 1 to 10) he is almost up to 1....Jack Slade

eph

Mar 25, 2010, 10:51:39 AM3/25/10
to transport-innovators
A politician making a judgment call on a technical matter smells of
lobbying. The established players (light rail and buses) are scared
to death of competition.

Excerpt:
"But the city of Winona's request for $25 million to build a test
track and laboratory for Personal Rapid Transit was not among them, as
the congressman says he has doubts about the viability of the
futuristic transportation system.

"We're just not sure," said Walz, DFL-Minn. "As a demonstration
project and that amount of money
when it's not at a point where it's been demonstrated, it was pretty
hard for us to request it.""

You're building a TEST track but quash it because it's UNPROVEN -
hmmm...

F.

Walter Brewer

Mar 25, 2010, 11:32:38 AM3/25/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
How about minus 5?

Walt Brewer

Dennis Manning

Mar 25, 2010, 2:30:32 PM3/25/10
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I seem to recall a similar happening with ULTra when they were close to
getting PRT going in Cardiff. A politician with little or no knowledge
stepped in and said he didn't understand it so he killed the funding.