China takes BRT seriously (WOW)

Jerry Schneider

Sep 4, 2008, 2:54:40 PM9/4/08
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
<http://www.planetizen.com/node/34834>China Takes Bus Rapid Transit Seriously
Sep 03 2008 -- chinabrt.org
China is investing in complete Bus Rapid Transit
(BRT) systems in cities from Beijing to Kunming.
» <http://www.planetizen.com/node/34834>http://www.planetizen.com/node/34834

Jay Andress

Sep 4, 2008, 10:17:34 PM9/4/08
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
 Having spent some time in China and frequently talked to my daughter who lives in Beijing I find this posting amusing...
  1) the use of the name BRT...it is obviously a take-off on US technology...they are apparently adapting our technologies faster than we are.
   2)the traffic in Beijing is awful...BRT may seem like a good idea but the second it leaves the bus terminal it is stuck...traffic basically sits from 3:30 pm to 7:00 pm.
   3)the idea of having dedicated lanes for BRT would be a joke...the Chinese are a pretty unruly group...they aren't malicious... but they don't know what waiting in a line means. Unless the BRT lanes are on dedicated elevated roads they will not succeed.

                                                                             Jay

Jerry Schneider

Sep 4, 2008, 11:51:21 PM9/4/08
At 07:17 PM 9/4/2008, you wrote:
> Having spent some time in China and frequently talked to my
> daughter who lives in Beijing I find this posting amusing...
> 1) the use of the name BRT...it is obviously a take-off on US
> technology...they are apparently adapting our technologies faster than we are.
> 2)the traffic in Beijing is awful...BRT may seem like a good
> idea but the second it leaves the bus terminal it is
> stuck...traffic basically sits from 3:30 pm to 7:00 pm.
> 3)the idea of having dedicated lanes for BRT would be a
> joke...the Chinese are a pretty unruly group...they aren't
> malicious... but they don't know what waiting in a line means.
> Unless the BRT lanes are on dedicated elevated roads they will not succeed.

Did you look at the very numerous pictures? It sure looked to me like
there were lots of exclusive lanes.

Jay Andress

Sep 5, 2008, 1:44:59 PM9/5/08
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure that the people will respect the exclusive lanes unless they have barriers.