4th Open Space event: Building, Housing, & Community

Terry Halwes

Mar 9, 2010, 8:07:38 PM3/9/10
to Group Five, havens-for-...@googlegroups.com, NewHaven...@googlegroups.com, Northeastern Permaculture (List), SHARE Haven GG, TGNH Food, transition-gre...@googlegroups.com
Bring your ideas, inspirations, experiences and passion to this
Open Space gathering and help unlock the genius of this community.

4th Open Space event: Building, Housing, & Community
Saturday, March 27, 2010 -- 10 AM—5 PM

Common Ground High School
358 Springside Ave, New Haven

“When the rug is pulled out from under our feet,
how do we keep a roof over our heads?”

“How can creative housing choices help make our neighborhoods
& communities more resilient in a low energy future?"

--Bring Food to Share

--Beverages Provided

--Suggested Donation $15

Child Care Available: Call in Advance

For more information and to register contact:

Bernard Brennan 203-288-0001 or BernardT...@me.com
or Maria Tupper maria...@gmail.com

Possible questions to explore:

    * How can we house more people within existing buildings? How might buildings be modified to make it easier for larger groups to cohabit?
    * What role might co-housing  or eco-villages play in an energy constrained future?
    * How will we make old houses more energy efficient and eco-friendly?
    * How will we adapt when elements of infrastructure and public services become unreliable or fail altogether? E.g., garbage pickup, water, snowplowing, fuel delivery, electricity, police and fire services.
    * How will we keep warm?  Are there practical alternatives to gas or oil heat?
    * How will we negotiate the personal changes we will need to make if we are to live in an extended family or group home setting? How will we get beyond our deep needs as consumers and individualists for privacy and personal autonomy, adapting to living cheek by jowl with large family-like groups who are sharing heated space out of necessity?
    * What are the legal and customary barriers to alternative living arrangements? Barriers to alternative types of building such as cob or straw bale? How will we get around these barriers?
    * What will a new urbanism look like?
    * What part will "greening" play: green roof tops, green houses, greening New Haven's Green?  Alternative energy, alternative living?

What are your questions, concerns? Come and join our community think-tank!  Bring your ideas and inspirations as we work on building community together!!

YouTube links to Open Space Technology and Transition Towns
information can be found on our websites:

www.newhavenbioregionalgroup.org

www.transitionnewhaven.org