Report from Where do We go from Here discussion group - 19 March

Julie Smith

Mar 20, 2009, 4:30:58 AM3/20/09
to Transition BH
We didn't have access to the 12 steps from the Transition handbook for
this, but all felt that we would like the result to be a trickle-down
to street level with communities working more closely together and
utilising their shared skills.

How to get there? There is the possibility to get pocket schemes
going in different areas, eg. Parkstone, Christchurch, but there is
also scope to have joint working across the areas on particular
themes, eg. transport and food. Transition towns can be a difficult
concept to get across, it may be easier to attract people through an
event with a theme. Food was highlighted as a very accessible
subject. Some kind of skill share event was also suggested. In
order to organise either schemes by area or events by theme, more
people in the core BH group are needed.

Advertising needs to be targeted at people more likely to be
interested, maybe at allotments or via small local shops. Sue's
suggestion at the earlier meeting of trying to bring someone new when
attending a BH meeting could also help.

The action decided upon by the group was to develop a general purpose
advertising flier which can be used to promote BH group meetings.
(Harriet, I think you were going to see if we can use one from the
Transitions main website?)

Dave Crossland

Mar 21, 2009, 9:34:42 AM3/21/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com
2009/3/20 Julie Smith <jusm...@googlemail.com>:

> The action decided upon by the group was to develop a general purpose
> advertising flier which can be used to promote BH group meetings.
> (Harriet, I think you were going to see if we can use one from the
> Transitions main website?)

I've made up a quick A4 poster that mimics the website style and ought
to work okay in black and white and reduced down to A5 in a
photocopier.

Here is the text; I only spent 45 minutes on it, and anyone's edits are welcome:

------- >8 ----------------

Transition BH
================

Transition Towns in the Poole, Bournemouth and Christchurch areas

The transition to a low energy future is inevitable. The supply of
liquid fuel will soon decline, and averting the climate crisis is
urgent.

A Transition Towns initiative is a local community preparing for these
changes, working together to look peak oil and climate change squarely
in the eye and address this big question:

Starting now, how can we sustain our local community and thrive
during the next few decades?

We live in the Poole, Bournemouth and Christchurch areas and share the
BH postcode.

We are starting Transition Towns initiatives in our local areas, and
at the moment we are simply a collection of acquainted individuals who
work with each other to get going. This is not really an organisation.
It is more a bunch of people that are just getting on with things.

We meet about once a month for mutual support around our activities,
and share resources and represent a united front to formal
organisations.

What can you do? Look up peak oil, permaculture and Transition Towns
on the web. Find out the time and place of our next meeting on our
website, print out the map, and turn up with a friend.

----- 8< ----------

Quick preview:

http://transition-bh.googlegroups.com/web/2009-03-21%20initial%20poster.png

PDF for printing:

http://groups.google.com/group/transition-bh/web/2009-03-21%20initial%20poster.pdf

SVG source file for editing with Inkscape, the free software
illustration program you can download for GNU/Linux, Windows and Mac
OS X at www.inkscape.org

http://groups.google.com/group/transition-bh/web/2009-03-21%20initial%20poster%20made%20with%20inkscape-dot-org.svg

(You'll need the "Liberation" fonts from
https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/i/liberation-fonts/liberation-fonts-1.04.zip
:-)

Cheers,
Dave

Dudley & Julie Smith

Apr 9, 2009, 10:22:43 AM4/9/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com
Dave
It's taken me a while to look at this, and I think the end result looks
great. I have printed a copy to bring to next Thursday's meeting. As I
am not too hot on editing stuff itself, can you tell me in theory if it
is possible to make this into a landscape page with two A5 versions on
it? If it is, people could print them off at home to give out.
Thanking you.
Julie
03/21/09 17:58:00

Dave Crossland

Apr 9, 2009, 10:35:39 AM4/9/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Thanks :)

Ill do the A5-on-A4 page tomorrow morning, and integrate some suggestions sent offlist.

Regards, Dave

On 9 Apr 2009, 3:22 PM, "Dudley & Julie Smith" <dmsm...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

Dave
It's taken me a while to look at this, and I think the end result looks
great.  I have printed a copy to bring to next Thursday's meeting.  As I
am not too hot on editing stuff itself, can you tell me in theory if it
is possible to make this into a landscape page with two A5 versions on
it?  If it is, people could print them off at home to give out.
Thanking you.
Julie

-----Original Message----- From: transi...@googlegroups.com [mailto:transition-bh@googlegroups.c...

Harriet Stewart-Jones

Apr 9, 2009, 10:33:50 AM4/9/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com
Just to let you know, the Transition BH Display Team (Green Arrows)
met at Janice's last night to discuss the stall at the BGF Open Day
on 23rd. Part of our plans include designs for a big poster and
flyer. We'll bring drafts on Thursday.

Harriet

Dave Crossland

Apr 9, 2009, 11:11:56 AM4/9/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Does any one else have any suggestions for the text/design? :-)

2009/4/9 Dudley & Julie Smith <dmsm...@tiscali.co.uk>:

> make this into a landscape page with two A5 versions on

I'm on a train at the moment, so I've done it and am uploading the
PDFs now to here:

http://dave.lab6.com/acid/dump/2009/2009-04-09%202xA5-on-A4%20poster.pdf

http://dave.lab6.com/acid/dump/2009/2009-04-09%20A4%20poster.pdf

If those links don't work, you can browse
http://dave.lab6.com/acid/dump/2009/ and download the files:

2009-04-09 2xA5-on-A4 poster.pdf
2009-04-09 A4 poster.pdf

The Google Groups file upload thing isn't very resilient against the
effects of a train on a mobile internet connection, but I'll add them
there later....

Here are some general comments on the feedback received so far:

I have made the large amount of black to create visual "contrast" with
the intention that it make the poster more eye-catching from a
distance.

My experience based on many conversations about peak oil suggests that
people, at least around here, associate "oil" with heavy industrial -
uses rather than aviation fuel and the petrol the put in their car.
"Liquid fuel" is a bit of a mouthful, but it seems to imply the right
idea to people so they can better figure out the implications for
themselves.

I've changed the text to be "around the BH postcode" to include people
outside it but near enough, and changed the end to mention film
screenings.

Cheers,
Dave

Dudley & Julie Smith

Apr 9, 2009, 11:45:33 AM4/9/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com
Dave

Thanks for doing this, perhaps we can put it up for discussion at the
meeting and get agreement on a final version? I think the format at the
moment is useful as at the left hand bottom corner there is a space .. I
would be able to print off some copies and hand-write details of the
next meeting or event to pass on to others. That way, it doesn't get
out of date.
Julie

> Thanks for doing this, perhaps we can put it up for discussion at the
> meeting and get agreement on a final version?

Sure!

> I think the format at the
> moment is useful as at the left hand bottom corner there is a space .. I
> would be able to print off some copies and hand-write details of the
> next meeting or event to pass on to others.  That way, it doesn't get
> out of date.

Yes there is room for another 40-50 words or so. Writing on print
outs, taking a photo and uploading it to the Google Group files area
would be an idea way to procede.

Gary Finch

Apr 9, 2009, 12:51:08 PM4/9/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, can you advise where 16th meeting is, thanks, gary

soo chapman

Apr 14, 2009, 3:14:30 PM4/14/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com
Druitt Hall, Christchurch, 7.30pm