TransitionBH Meeting last night

Andy H

Jan 28, 2009, 5:03:47 AM1/28/09
to Transition BH
Transition BH Meeting
Grasshopper

Gary Finch, Andy Hadley facilitating

What we prepared
We were volunteered at the previous meeting to facilitate.

It seemed there were quite a few people at the previous meeting who
did not know about the Transition Town concepts, and so we thought we
should have a "I'm new to all this, what is it about" session. We then
wanted a number of "I'm ready for action - how can we get moving"
topics.

We used the Transition BH google group to throw round some ideas. One
was to have a smaller (not especially advertised)meeting to try and
sort out an agenda etc. There was negative feedback on the Google
group, people feeling this might be exclusive, so we abandoned.

It was suggested that we should try "Openspace" format. this invites
people to join and leave groups at will, if they get bored or more
interested at the prospect of another group. I didn't see anyone
change particularly on the night, but the invitation was there !
Because one group moved within sight of the door, latecomers tended to
join them.

I'd prepared a blank 'attendees list', with "if you are happy to be
emailed and potentially join the online group, please add your name
below" at the top, and columns for Name, Area of BH, Email address,
Phone no. 25 people completed, 12 of whom had not previously
registered on the site. There were probably more than 30 people there.

I'd also prepared blanks for the groups. I was keen to trap actions
and skills, so had two sections
Three to 6 actions or ideas for moving the topic forwards
If you are happy to be involved in pursuing this agenda, please add
your name below
with columns : Name, Area of BH, Email address, Phone no, How I can
help

We went through a number of "how can we get moving" topics, and to cut
a long story short, selected the following groupings;

I'm new to all this, what is it about ?
Horticulture/Food/local shopping
Publicity/education/Reskilling
Local Currencies/LETS/Finance for local needs/Skills exchange
Sustainable Transport
Energy/Resources/Waste/Recycling

Format was intended to be 1/4 hour intro, half an hour discussion, 1/4
hour quick feedback, and run the groups again.

The first 4 of the above were chosen (they were not presented in this
order). For write-ups - see separate post. We had a feedback session,
and then, partly base on feedback suggested for the second set;

Preparation for the Big green Fortnight event - this came from
publicity feedback
What is our Vision - this came from the I'm new to all this group
Sustainable Transport
Energy/Resources/Waste/Recycling

The top 3 were chosen.

There were 'parish' announcements and forward dates for
Bouremouth LETS relaunch next Tuesday at Springborne Community Centre
392288
Poole Harbour Trails - Launch of walking leaflets - Sandford First
School - Sat 21 March 11am
Big Green Fortnight - second half of May - Transition BH should launch
on the public !
National Cycle Week - Third week in June - Aim to have a transition BH
walking/cycling takeover the streets event.

Venues
We investigated venues. The Moose Hall in Joliffe Road, Poole is
available any Wednesday, or was when we enquired. Derek English is a
member and enquired on our behalf. the cost is around £30. We were
unsure whether sufficient people would turn up to make it cheap enough
to run. £1 a head contribution. One good idea mentioned on 27/1 but we
didn't adopt was to make a whip round during the previous meeting to
fund a venue for the next one. Pauline Stanley works in Springbourne
Community Centre 392288, and suggested this would be a good venue, at
reasonable cost.

We plumbed for the Grasshopper again, in hope that a Tuesday in
January would be quiet.

Other themes
We prepared but didn't use, a mechanism to cut the area up (using
postcodes) for more local discussions. TransitionBH is intended to
perhaps spawn a series of much more local activities, but there is a
tension between growing the overall group, learning together, and
getting busy at a more local level. So for another time...
We'd need to do some more work on how you divide up the BH area. If
you search "BH Postcodes" on Google, or directly on Wikipedia, they
have a useful Table and a map.

BH23-25 Christchurch /Highcliffe /New Milton /Ringwood
1-10 Bournemouth
11-12 Northborne
13-15,17 Poole
16,19,20 Purbeck
21,22,31 Wimborne, Ferndown, Verwood

we should perhaps review the numbers at different postcodes and adjust
this list if we use it, and consolidate or split some of these groups,
but my preference is not to be too hung up on geography - we need free-
flow of ideas, and if people are keen to get together, lets not create
fixed boundaries !

Next meeting

We briefly discussed this, which night of the week is best, whether to
use the same venue, or perhaps the Springbourne Community Centre.
Knowing it is easy for those present to choose the same venue, same
night, and with apologies to those not there.
Outcome : Grasshopper Pub : Tues 24th February 7:30pm
Facilitators : Nikki Cooper, Rob Price, Lorretta Perrella

Nothing to stop those who have undertaken to move items forwards
meeting/talking/emailing before then. It would be great if people
could post progress up on this site. Whether the next meeting chases
and builds on actions from this is in the hands of Nikki, Rob and
Lorretta, and of course everyone who agreed to do something.

Thanks to all
Andy and Gary