Part notes on Feb Transition BH meeting

Harriet Stewart-Jones

Mar 8, 2009, 4:44:30 AM3/8/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com
Notes on Big Green Fortnight discussions at February Transition BH
meeting Grasshopper.

We continued looking at ideas for our "stall" in the Gardens and
Wildlife Zone of the Big Green Open Day event to be held at the
Pavilion on Saturday 23rd May. This is a great opportunity to inform
the general public about Transition, peak oil and climate change in a
fun, interactive sort of way.

We've decided on a programme of demonstrations/workshops focused
around reskilling and sustainable living. So we had a bit of
brainstorming for ideas:
- How to make a wormery (Gary)
- Basic bike maintenance (Lindley to check out)
- Low-tech hydroponics for children/seed planting (Gary) - needs
plastic bottles?
- Baking cakes (Julie)
- How to grow mung beans for sprouting (Soo)
- Basic darning (Sue W)
- How to make a recycled shopping bag
- 'Make do and mend' sewing
- Low-tech hydroponics for children/seed planting (Gary) - needs
plastic bottles?
- How to grow strawberries (Malcolm)

If anyone has any ideas to add to this (and preferably a contact for
someone willing to actually do the demonstration/workshop activity)
please contact Ian (iancha...@googlemail.com) or Harriet
(harr...@googlemail.com).

We also need ideas and people to help with making our display look
good. Anyone with any skills/enthusiasm in this area please get in touch.

We also talked about other activities that could go on in the zone -
recycled art (Scrapstore), wildlife (DWT, heath wardens), insects
(Mark S), Jack and the Greenstalk 15-minute drama (Soo C).

Jacki wasn't able to be there but she sent a message to say that
plans for our "Party not a Protest" music event during the BGF are
firming up nicely. Details to follow.

Harriet

Gary Finch

Mar 8, 2009, 3:09:29 PM3/8/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, to do my demos I'll need some purchased resources - is there any
sort of a budget from the local authorities or should we respectfully
approach PA21 for some help?,

Regards, Gary

Harriet Stewart-Jones

Mar 9, 2009, 3:59:42 AM3/9/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gary
Can you give an idea of how much you'd need?
The LA's don't have a budget for this. They are spending on the
publicity, staffing and venues only.

Harriet

Gary Finch

Mar 9, 2009, 7:00:50 PM3/9/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com
Hi, budget would need to cover cost of bale of straw and a bag of gravel and
a paving slab for the tyre wormeries, compost and sharp sand and whatever
seeds we wanted for the mini-hydroponic bottles, plus as many 2/3 litre
recycled bottles as we could get,

Dave Crossland

Mar 9, 2009, 7:08:06 PM3/9/09
to transi...@googlegroups.com