Transit Alarm Android app

Joe Hughes

Mar 9, 2009, 4:42:00 PM3/9/09
to Transit Developers
I'd been hoping that someone would build an app like this:
http://www.transitalarm.com/

It uses real-time arrival information to set off an alarm when the bus
of your choice is X minutes away, so you know when to head out to the
stop. Right now it only offers CTA info (probably via Harper Reed's
unofficial bus tracker API), but it should be easy to do this for
other systems like TriMet and BART that offer realtime arrival APIs.

Joe

Derrick Brashear

Mar 9, 2009, 5:03:02 PM3/9/09
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Joe Hughes <joe.hug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd been hoping that someone would build an app like this:
> http://www.transitalarm.com/
>
> It uses real-time arrival information to set off an alarm when the bus
> of your choice is X minutes away, so you know when to head out to the
> stop.

I was speculating on this last night, in fact; Years ago I wrote a
gpsd-aware alarm clock to wake me on a train when it got within 20
miles of my stop, so I could shower. However, I wanted the inverse
this morning: wake me up in time to drive someone to the train
station.

Derrick

Jay OConnor

Mar 9, 2009, 5:16:18 PM3/9/09
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
That code will be open source within the hour (I'm setting up the
repository now)

jaydoconnor

Mar 9, 2009, 5:21:20 PM3/9/09
to Transit Developers
check it out here...

http://code.google.com/p/transitalarm/

On Mar 9, 4:16 pm, Jay OConnor <jaydocon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That code will be open source within the hour (I'm setting up the
> repository now)

John Campbell

Mar 9, 2009, 5:37:04 PM3/9/09
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM, jaydoconnor <jaydo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> check it out here...
>
> http://code.google.com/p/transitalarm/

Wow, this is an awesome idea.

It would be neat if the "route / direction / stop picker" was sorted
using the distance from your current location. Maybe you have already
done that, but I don't have an android phone or live in Chicago, so I
can't test it out.

Regards,
John Campbell

Jay OConnor

Mar 9, 2009, 5:39:09 PM3/9/09
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
no... this is a pretty simple, 1.0 app as of now.