[Blog/Commentary] [USA] Transman proposes to partner at White House Pride celebration

Stephanie Stevens

Jun 25, 2012, 7:00:46 AM6/25/12
to TNUKd...@yahoogroups.com, transgender_ne...@yahoogroups.com, transgen...@googlegroups.com
Daily Kos, USA

Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 06:26 AM PDT

Transman proposes to partner at White House Pride celebration

by rserven <http://www.dailykos.com/user/rserven> for TransAction
<http://www.dailykos.com/blog/TransAction>

The transmen in the following video is legally named Scout
<http://lgbthealthequity.wordpress.com/author/scoutout8/> . One name
only. He is, in fact, Dr. Scout, director of the Fenway Institute's
Network of LGBT Health Equity <http://lgbthealthequity.wordpress.com/>
. The video capture is of events at the White House 2012 LGBT Pride
Reception.

At the beginning of the video, he's behind the camera, where he
catches footage of Matty Hart
<http://www.breadrosesfund.org/index.cfm?organization_id=75%C2%A7ion_id=1217&page_id=5454>
, board member of the Bread and Roses Fund
<http://www.breadrosesfund.org/> , and Liz Margolies
<http://www.cancer-network.org/about_us/people/margolies.php> ,
executive director of the LGBT Cancer Network
<http://www.cancer-network.org/> .

In the middle of the footage, Scout steps out from being the camera,
with first Margolies and then Hart capturing the images.

Then Scout drops to one knee...

[Video: <http://youtu.be/gaQ-e-It0kM> The White House Proposal]

I memorized some things but I kind of forgot half of them.

"Because the last three and a half years, you have been an amazing
adventure.

Because you try harder than anyone in the world.

Because while I'm a little scared to spend the rest of my life
with you, because you're so damn fierce, I'm also amazingly excited
about the possibility."

--Scout <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/17/transgender-man-proposes-white-house-lgbt_n_1602965.html>

All I remember hearing is, 'You'll be a better person.'

--Margolies

Margolies has been long opposed to the institution of marriage, having
recently sent Scout an article about two turtles who divorced after
115 years <http://www.freep.com/article/20120613/NEWS07/120613028/After-115-years-together-2-turtles-go-their-seperate-ways>
, attaching the comment: "You see? It doesn't work."

But after a period of silence, Margolies did accept the marriage proposal.

Several news articles make the point that since Scout is legally a
man, their marriage would be recognized just like any heterosexual
marriage. That's not, in fact, completely true. Several states (most
notably Texas and Kansas) have overturned the validity of marriages in
which one partner was transsexual.

Location. Location. Location.

© Kos Media, LLC

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/18/1100958/-Transman-proposes-to-partner-at-White-House-Pride-celebration