new agenda item - transit

Aaron

Dec 30, 2009, 5:52:11 PM12/30/09
to trans...@googlegroups.com
I would like to bring up a question to the group for next week's meeting.
What is the consensus with TransConPDX about advocating for mass
transit? Do people want to focus specifically on bicycle issues or are
we going to encourage other non-auto issues?
For example Trimet is working hard to eliminate fairless square. They
failed last year because popular support vetoed their effort. But they
succeeded this year in eliminating bus service withing fairless square.
So the only free option for people is the Max trains. That leaves
elderly and disabled users with fewer options to get around. This is
likely a stepping stone to removing any free service.
http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2009/12/396353.shtml
I think it's an issue to think carefully about

--
*Aaron*

"There can be no economy on a planet that cannot support life."
(attributed to Brian O'Leary <http://www.brianoleary.info/>)

/"No single snowflake claims responsibility for the avalanche."/

. <http://cityoftulsa.org/ourcity/ordinances/documents/Title17_000.pdf>

Nick Falbo

Jan 4, 2010, 11:55:40 AM1/4/10
to transcon
I'd definitely love to talk about fareless square at the next meeting.
Unless the change was delayed, yesterday was the first day of the
'Rail-Only' policy for the fareless square.

Another transit related issue poised to be bigger in the coming years
is the bicycle capacity on transit vehicles. The limited capacity on
buses may be unsolvable in the long term, but the MAX has
embarrassingly low number of bike racks, and will need to concede
additional space for bikes and for cargo (ie. IKEA) as people move to
less-car lifestyles.

-Nick

On Dec 30 2009, 2:52 pm, Aaron <Aa...@tarfman.net> wrote:
> I would like to bring up a question to the group for next week's meeting.
> What is the consensus with TransConPDX about advocating for mass
> transit?  Do people want to focus specifically on bicycle issues or are
> we going to encourage other non-auto issues?
> For example Trimet is working hard to eliminate fairless square.  They
> failed last year because popular support vetoed their effort.  But they
> succeeded this year in eliminating bus service withing fairless square.
> So the only free option for people is the Max trains.  That leaves
> elderly and disabled users with fewer options to get around.  This is

> likely a stepping stone to removing any free service.http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2009/12/396353.shtml

caffeinated

Jan 4, 2010, 6:55:44 PM1/4/10
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Cargo storage is a big deal, thanks for bringing it up Nick.  I can't tell you how often I hear "but I have these bags" whenever I suggest someone take transit to the airport or shopping rather than get a lift in a car.  I noticed in many euro buses, especially those going to major transit centers, there are storage racks to leave your belongings by the driver and go sit down.

Bike capacity is going to be a showdown. I secretly hope for a city that has no room for bikes on the trains and buses because there won't be enough space for people.  We're at least a decade away from that, but when it comes, perhaps we'll follow the dutch model and have 2 bikes for the commute - one from home to train, the other from train to work.

Aaron-- I'm not sure if your question has received a definitive answer (something I hope the Identity/strategy thinking could address) but YES, transit. YES!!!

See ya'll tomorrow,
Steve

meghan sinnott

Jan 4, 2010, 8:15:45 PM1/4/10
to trans...@googlegroups.com
sorry, but could someone remind me of the meeting time and hip me to the location of the meeting?

m.