Readability of this group, "[Trac]"

Ilias Lazaridis

Sep 15, 2006, 5:44:19 AM9/15/06
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Just switched again to read the group via the news-client (gmane nntp
gateway).

I try to get an overview of the messages and see...

[Trac]
[Trac]
[Trac]
[Trac]

Not a very good readability.

.

--
http://lazaridis.com

Jani Tiainen

Sep 15, 2006, 6:06:34 AM9/15/06
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Ilias Lazaridis kirjoitti:

> Just switched again to read the group via the news-client (gmane nntp
> gateway).
>
> I try to get an overview of the messages and see...
>
> [Trac]
> [Trac]
> [Trac]
> [Trac]
>
> Not a very good readability.

Well, this is _mailinglist_ not newsgroup. :)

So should there be something else becouse some "hack" (well gmane is a
hack) filters something out.

And what comes to gmane, I can read (by using Thunderbird) headers same
way as here in e-mail. So there might be something in your reader that
messes things up.

Even your message contains proper titles etc.

--

Jani Tiainen

Ilias Lazaridis

Sep 15, 2006, 2:53:21 PM9/15/06
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

[Trac] Readability of this group, "[Trac]"

I mean this "[Trac]" prefix. On other mailinglists read from gmane, the
related tag does _not_ appear, thus I can read the headers without this
annoying prefix.

So the list-admin should either completely remove it (email filtering
can be done by "Reply-To" header or other mechanisms, we have the year
2006!!!), or at least configure _gmane_ to ripe it out.

.

--
http://lazaridis.com

Noah Kantrowitz

Sep 15, 2006, 3:02:51 PM9/15/06
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
If you are using a Usenet archiver to read an email-based list, I do not
think this is a problem of our list. The headers show up perfectly for
me in both Thunderbird and Mail.app (which I use regularly). If you
would like to remove or alter any of these headers, you can do it easily
with procmail and sed.

--Noah

Matt Good

Sep 15, 2006, 5:53:59 PM9/15/06
to Trac Users
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> Just switched again to read the group via the news-client (gmane nntp
> gateway).
>
> I try to get an overview of the messages and see...
>
> [Trac]
> [Trac]
> [Trac]
> [Trac]
>
> Not a very good readability.

Have you tried other Google Groups in Gmane? I suspect you'll need to
contact Gmane or Google about fixing the problem, since I don't think
there's anything we can do about it.

-- Matt Good

Ilias Lazaridis

Sep 15, 2006, 5:55:36 PM9/15/06
to Trac Users
> If you are using a Usenet archiver to read an email-based list, I do not
> think this is a problem of our list. The headers show up perfectly for
> me in both Thunderbird and Mail.app (which I use regularly). If you
> would like to remove or alter any of these headers, you can do it easily
> with procmail and sed.

I adress this to the list-admin:

Please correct in any way the behaviour of this group, thus the
"[Trac]" prefix does not appear within the nntp access to the group and
within the archives, see example:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.trac.general/9686/focus=9686

(the behaviour was correct before the switch to groups.google.)

.

Dimitri Maziuk

Sep 15, 2006, 6:59:03 PM9/15/06
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
... snip ...

This is what you get from switching to Google groups: cooks, trolls, and
other usenet fauna. If Google setup allows killfiling, I strongly
suggest that list admins ban this -- entity (from the usenet posts I've
seen, I'm not entirely sure it's even human).

HTH
Dima

Noah Kantrowitz

Sep 15, 2006, 7:07:02 PM9/15/06
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
This was discussed earlier at some length, and it was decided to keep
the '[Trac]' tag in the header. If you dislike that there are many
tools that allow for removing such things from headers of messages
you receive. It is easier to remove the tag than to add it, and not
all MUAs can filter/search on other headers.

--Noah

Ilias Lazaridis

Sep 15, 2006, 7:47:42 PM9/15/06
to Trac Users

You ("the trac project") could contact gmane / google.

this would have more weight than my 'single voice'.

http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/3733

.

Greg Dickie

Sep 15, 2006, 8:12:21 PM9/15/06
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

How about we set up a separate mailing list where you can debate this?

Greg

Ilias Lazaridis

Sep 15, 2006, 8:17:07 PM9/15/06
to Trac Users
Greg Dickie wrote:
> How about we set up a separate mailing list where you can debate this?

Not necessary.

This topic is perfectly valid for this list.

But thanks for asking.

--
http://lazaridis.com

.

Shun-ichi GOTO

Sep 15, 2006, 8:37:59 PM9/15/06
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On 9/16/06, Matt Good <ma...@matt-good.net> wrote:
> > Not a very good readability.
>
> Have you tried other Google Groups in Gmane? I suspect you'll need to
> contact Gmane or Google about fixing the problem, since I don't think
> there's anything we can do about it.

It seems good for trac-dev and turbogear.
I guess it will be removed if header tag is "[trac-users]"
or list address is trac@...

--
Shun-ichi GOTO

Ilias Lazaridis

Sep 24, 2006, 12:33:19 PM9/24/06
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

Ilias Lazaridis

Sep 24, 2006, 1:50:59 PM9/24/06
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

yes, it seems the tag must be named "[trac-users]" in order to disappear
from the archive.

this should be anyway so, for consistency reasons.

can the list-admin please make a test?

.

--
http://lazaridis.com