Comparison trac ./. redmine?

deb...@debian.org

Mar 16, 2008, 10:35:24 AM3/16/08
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

has anybody in the trac community compared trac with redmine?

One user did a change from trac to redmine and is pleased about
multi project support and better git integration:

http://changelog.complete.org/posts/701-At-long-last,-software.complete.org-migrated-to-Redmine.html

But there might be other aspects where trac excels, right? (For
me Python is a plus compared to Ruby, for example.)

TIA!

rupert thurner

Mar 16, 2008, 1:43:13 PM3/16/08
to Trac Users
we are watching it ... and did also a small comparison. the outcome is
that for the moment we stay with trac/rss-readers/eclipse mylin. for
us the main reason for staying is: trac wiki wysiwyg, eclipse mylyn
integration, and most important, migration effort. but, to be honest,
we already have ruby installed, and are thinking of offering redmine
as additional option for our projects.

tracs advantages are:
* many plugins: http://trac-hacks.org
* small usability advantages, like click on the roadmap bar, diff
viewer showing exactly what changed
sortable tables when displaying source, ...
* big usability things, liky wysiwyg wiki editor
* maturity: try "old milestones" in redmine, you wont get it
* eclipse integration with mylyn
* easy_install, including the plugins

beside the multiple project support, redmines advantages are a better
overview and the necessary things out of a box, and the quite fast
release cycles. there seem to be more source code checkins so one
could expect that these deficiencies will go away over time.

but, both of them do not have a general approach like ubuntus
launchpad, which has an excellent scalability for many projects, very
efficient duplicate check, blueprints for planning features including
a powerful moinmoin wiki. but it comes with the disadvantage that you
cannot download it, its not "wiki everywhere", and the tracking down
to the source code change is not that obvious.

rupert.

On Mar 16, 3:35 pm, deba...@debian.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> has anybody in the trac community compared trac with redmine?
>
> One user did a change from trac to redmine and is pleased about
> multi project support and better git integration:
>
> http://changelog.complete.org/posts/701-At-long-last,-software.comple...

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven

Mar 17, 2008, 8:22:51 AM3/17/08
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
-On [20080316 18:43], rupert thurner (rupert....@gmail.com) wrote:
>efficient duplicate check

Duplicate check? Can you elaborate?

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
Certum est quia impooibile est...

rupert thurner

Mar 17, 2008, 1:38:38 PM3/17/08
to Trac Users
create a new ticket has multiple steps, i included screenshots at
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/Proposals/NewTicketDuplicateCheck.

On Mar 17, 1:22 pm, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmo...@in-
nomine.org> wrote:
> -On [20080316 18:43], rupert thurner (rupert.thur...@gmail.com) wrote:
>
> >efficient duplicate check
>
> Duplicate check? Can you elaborate?
>
> --
> Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(-at-)in-nomine.org> / asmodai
> イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェンhttp://www.in-nomine.org/|http://www.rangaku.org/

Peter Haldbæk

Apr 2, 2008, 7:02:01 AM4/2/08
to Trac Users
I have used Trac on several projects but have turned to Redmine in our
latest project. Since I am used to Trac I have a slight preference for
Trac but Redmine does seem to have some nice features which I miss in
Trac, most notable the better support for multiple projects.

I think Trac offers a better wiki solution and it integrates nicely
with Eclipse. I don't think Redmine has any Eclipse connectors to
Mylyn but I wouldn't be surprised to see one soon. I also like the
fact that you can link directly to your source code within the Trac
wiki (via the source browser) which is not possible in Redmine (unless
you write out the entire link).

Peter

On 16 Mar., 16:35, deba...@debian.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> has anybody in the trac community compared trac with redmine?
>
> One user did a change from trac to redmine and is pleased about
> multi project support and better git integration:
>
> http://changelog.complete.org/posts/701-At-long-last,-software.comple...

rupert thurner

May 26, 2008, 3:43:42 PM5/26/08
to Trac Users

On Apr 2, 1:02 pm, Peter Haldbæk <dar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have used Trac on several projects but have turned toRedminein our
> latest project. Since I am used to Trac I have a slight preference for
> Trac butRedminedoes seem to have some nice features which I miss in
> Trac, most notable the better support for multiple projects.
>
> I think Trac offers a better wiki solution and it integrates nicely
> with Eclipse. I don't thinkRedminehas any Eclipse connectors to
> Mylyn but I wouldn't be surprised to see one soon. I also like the
> fact that you can link directly to your source code within the Trac
> wiki (via the source browser) which is not possible inRedmine(unless
> you write out the entire link).

redmine did 2 releases since this thread was started, and the next one
is not far away. "link to source" seems to be fixed, see
http://www.redmine.org/wiki/redmine/Changelog.

btw, see on http://demo.redmine.org how to add a time log and related
tickets.

rupert.