Enhancement: set default_owner from Admin Components

Cooke, Mark

Jun 29, 2011, 6:11:53 AM6/29/11
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

I have a few projects where they either want all new tickets to go to
one person for filtering and/or they do not use the 'Components' option
which would set the default owner (configurable through WebAdmin).

I know I can set [ticket] `default_owner` in trac.ini but I think it
would be nice to be able to modify this from the WebAdmin `Components`
interface.

Does anyone else think this would be useful? I searched on t.e.o but
failed to find many relevant tickets. If people agree, this might be my
chance to try and do a bitesized ticket...

~ mark c

Remy Blank

Jun 29, 2011, 2:09:13 PM6/29/11
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Cooke, Mark wrote:
> I know I can set [ticket] `default_owner` in trac.ini but I think it
> would be nice to be able to modify this from the WebAdmin `Components`
> interface.
>
> Does anyone else think this would be useful?

Sounds like a very good idea to me. There indeed doesn't seem to be a
ticket about that, so please create one and attach your patch.

Note however that default_owner doesn't work as advertised (we should
fix the documentation about that). Prior to creating a ticket, the
component isn't known, so there's no way for Trac to suggest the
component owner as the default owner (except possibly by doing some
AJAXy stuff, which might be a good idea, too). So what happens is this:

- The owner field is preset to the value of default_owner, whatever its
content. By default, it's "< default >".

- On submission, either of the following happens:

- If the owner field is set to the text "< default >", the owner
becomes the component owner.

- Otherwise, the owner is set to the value of the field. In
particular, if the field is empty, no owner is set.

-- Remy

signature.asc

Remy Blank

Jun 29, 2011, 2:19:53 PM6/29/11
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Remy Blank wrote:
> Sounds like a very good idea to me. There indeed doesn't seem to be a
> ticket about that, so please create one and attach your patch.

You could also add a field to configure `default_cc`, but I'm not sure
the "Components" page is the right place for that.

(I have fixed the documentation for `default_owner`.)

-- Remy

signature.asc