Trac on a portable USB memory

howa

Nov 15, 2008, 11:07:46 AM11/15/08
to Trac Users
I want to run trac in my USB disk so I can bring trac to anywhere.

I don't want to put trac in the net as sometimes it might not be
possible to connect to the internet all the time, e.g. on flight.

So it is possible to run trac on a USB memory device?

Any tutorial tech how to do so?

Thanks.

Aaron D. Marasco

Nov 15, 2008, 11:13:48 AM11/15/08
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

Does it have to be a USB stick? I run Trac on a VMWare virtual machine on my work laptop so it is always there. Then I shutdown the VM and back up the files weekly for my backup plan.

howa

Nov 15, 2008, 11:22:12 AM11/15/08
to Trac Users
I mean I run the trac at laptop during traveling, while I run trac at
both my office and home desktop.

So USB stick is a good choice.

Also, all my stuff is personal so I don't want to put them in the
Internet, and since during traveling, I cannot access to the Internet
at all.

On Nov 16, 12:13 am, "Aaron D. Marasco" <Trac-M...@revragnarok.com>

Chris Nelson

Nov 15, 2008, 11:41:05 AM11/15/08
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

I was think

Chris Nelson

Nov 15, 2008, 11:42:04 AM11/15/08
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

I was thinking of this just the other day. I'd love to be able to do
this to keep a To Do list with me whereever I am.

Martin S.

Nov 15, 2008, 12:56:49 PM11/15/08
to Trac Users
Sure you can put your trac directory on a USB stick.
You only need to install trac on every PC you want to use it on.

Then you just run something like "tracd -p 8080 -s /media/usbstick/
trac"
on the command prompt. Here I assume a Unix/Linux OS where your
usbstick is mounted under /media/usbstick and your trac environment is
in a directory called 'trac'.
Under MS Windows it might be "tracd -p 8080 -s e:\trac", but I never
used trac under windows.

Make sure you properly unconnect the usbstick so that all open buffers
are written back. If you just remove the stick you might loose the
last DB changes.

Martin

Iain Buchanan

Nov 15, 2008, 11:43:35 PM11/15/08
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
howa wrote:
> I mean I run the trac at laptop during traveling, while I run trac at
> both my office and home desktop.

All fine for a VM.

> So USB stick is a good choice.
>
> Also, all my stuff is personal so I don't want to put them in the
> Internet, and since during traveling, I cannot access to the Internet
> at all.

VM's don't have to go near the internet...

I think a VM has advantages over trac directly on a USB stick (you could
even put the VM on a USB stick - doesn't have to be big) as the same VM
will always have the same versions of trac, apache, sql, etc, whereas
your different boxes might differ in versions, despite your best efforts!

And trac doesn't need a gui install, you could run it quite well on
virtual box for example.
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp dot com dot au>

Authentic:
Indubitably true, in somebody's opinion

Noah Kantrowitz

Nov 16, 2008, 12:07:09 AM11/16/08
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

> howa wrote:
>> I mean I run the trac at laptop during traveling, while I run trac at
>> both my office and home desktop.
>
> All fine for a VM.
>
>> So USB stick is a good choice.
> >
>> Also, all my stuff is personal so I don't want to put them in the
>> Internet, and since during traveling, I cannot access to the Internet
>> at all.
>
> VM's don't have to go near the internet...
>
> I think a VM has advantages over trac directly on a USB stick (you could
> even put the VM on a USB stick - doesn't have to be big) as the same VM
> will always have the same versions of trac, apache, sql, etc, whereas
> your different boxes might differ in versions, despite your best efforts!
>
> And trac doesn't need a gui install, you could run it quite well on
> virtual box for example.

Just look at Portable Python. It is very easy to install onto a USB key,
and then use that python install to setup Trac.

--Noah