Trac 0.12rc1 ready for testing!

Christian Boos

Jun 5, 2010, 6:55:40 AM6/5/10
to Trac Users, Trac Development
Dear Trac Users,

The long anticipated release of Trac 0.12 is now getting *really* close,
as we just released Trac 0.12rc1 yesterday. You can find the packages here:

http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload#LatestReleaseCandidate

It is also possible to use setuptools for installing or upgrading Trac
(easy_install [-U] Trac).

Thanks to the people who helped us iron out the few packaging issues we
had with 0.12b1, the present package is now pretty solid, and we're
pretty confident that 0.12 will be very close to 0.12rc1. If all goes
well after a week of testing (#9404), Trac 0.12 will be released end of
next weekend.

Don't forget to also install Babel 0.9.5 *first* if you want to enjoy
using Trac in your language (easy_install Babel).
But it's not a mandatory requirement, Trac doesn't need it besides the
translation support.

On the other hand, Genshi 0.6 is a mandatory requirement, so install it
first (if you do easy_install Trac, this will happen automatically).

As usual, if you're upgrading don't forget to make a backup before, and
take the time to read the TracUpgrade notes and the TracInstall notes.
Also, even if you're only upgrading from a previous 0.12dev or 0.12b1,
it might help to force reload the pages the first time you re-access an
upgraded environment, as the CSS and Javascript files may have changed
(see http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracUpgrade#a5.Refreshstaticresources).

-- Christian, on behalf of the Trac Team

Release Notes for Trac 0.12 Babel Release
June 03, 2010

Highlights
----------
* Translation of Trac in your language using Babel
(http://babel.edgewall.org)
* Multiple Repository Support per environment
* Improved Wiki, more powerful syntax and nicer user interface with
automatic preview in side-by-side editing mode
* Improved Ticket user interface, with editable comments and
automatic preview

Detailed User Visible Changes
-----------------------------

A detailed view of the API changes since 0.11.x can be found in
TracDev/ReleaseNotes/0.12

(http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ReleaseNotes/0.12).

Developer-visible changes
-------------------------

A detailed view of the API changes since 0.11.x can be found in
TracDev/ApiChanges/0.12

(http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ApiChanges/0.12).

Acknowledgements
----------------
Many thanks to the growing number of people who have, and continue to,
support the project. Also our thanks to all people providing feedback and
bug reports that helps us making Trac better, easier to use and more
effective. Starting with the 0.12 release, special thanks go to our
many translators.
Without your invaluable help, Trac would not evolve. Thank you all.

Finally, we offer hope that Trac will prove itself useful to like-minded
programmers around the world, and that this release will prove an
improvement over the last version.

Please let us know. :-)

/The Trac Team http://trac.edgewall.org/

Roger Oberholtzer

Jun 7, 2010, 2:36:13 AM6/7/10
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 12:55 +0200, Christian Boos wrote:
> Dear Trac Users,

> Don't forget to also install Babel 0.9.5 *first* if you want to enjoy
> using Trac in your language (easy_install Babel).

'easy_install Babel' gets 0.9.4. You need to do 'easy_install -U Babel'
to get 0.9.5

But now to the real problem:

easy_install -U Trac

reverted my 0.12b1 to an OLDER version:

Best match: Trac 0.12multirepos
Processing Trac-0.12multirepos-py2.5.egg
Removing Trac 0.12b1 from easy-install.pth file
Adding Trac 0.12multirepos to easy-install.pth file

Help! I put back the original statement in my easy-install.pth and
0.12b1 still seems to work.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Christian Boos

Jun 7, 2010, 9:01:00 AM6/7/10
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On 6/7/2010 8:36 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 12:55 +0200, Christian Boos wrote:
>
>> Dear Trac Users,
>>

>> Don't forget to also install Babel 0.9.5 *first* if you want to enjoy
>> using Trac in your language (easy_install Babel).
>>
> 'easy_install Babel' gets 0.9.4. You need to do 'easy_install -U Babel'
> to get 0.9.5

I suppose you already had 0.9.4 installed, issuing `easy_install XXX`
seems to do something when actually it only does a check (you surely had
a line saying "babel 0.9.4 is already the active version in
easy-install.pth").

> But now to the real problem:
>
> easy_install -U Trac
>
> reverted my 0.12b1 to an OLDER version:
>
> Best match: Trac 0.12multirepos
> Processing Trac-0.12multirepos-py2.5.egg
> Removing Trac 0.12b1 from easy-install.pth file
> Adding Trac 0.12multirepos to easy-install.pth file
>
> Help! I put back the original statement in my easy-install.pth and
> 0.12b1 still seems to work.

Similar issue I suppose. You already had 0.12multirepos in your
easy-install.pth (I don't see where else this could come from, it's
nowhere referenced in our http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload page).
If you try again, it should normally pick up 0.12rc1 now...

-- Christian

Roger Oberholtzer

Jun 7, 2010, 9:24:12 AM6/7/10
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 15:01 +0200, Christian Boos wrote:
> On 6/7/2010 8:36 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 12:55 +0200, Christian Boos wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Trac Users,
> >>

> >> Don't forget to also install Babel 0.9.5 *first* if you want to enjoy
> >> using Trac in your language (easy_install Babel).
> >>
> > 'easy_install Babel' gets 0.9.4. You need to do 'easy_install -U Babel'
> > to get 0.9.5
> >

> I suppose you already had 0.9.4 installed, issuing `easy_install XXX`
> seems to do something when actually it only does a check (you surely had
> a line saying "babel 0.9.4 is already the active version in
> easy-install.pth").

Yes. I has 0.9.4

> > But now to the real problem:
> >
> > easy_install -U Trac
> >
> > reverted my 0.12b1 to an OLDER version:
> >
> > Best match: Trac 0.12multirepos
> > Processing Trac-0.12multirepos-py2.5.egg
> > Removing Trac 0.12b1 from easy-install.pth file
> > Adding Trac 0.12multirepos to easy-install.pth file
> >
> > Help! I put back the original statement in my easy-install.pth and
> > 0.12b1 still seems to work.
> >

> Similar issue I suppose. You already had 0.12multirepos in your
> easy-install.pth (I don't see where else this could come from, it's
> nowhere referenced in our http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload page).
> If you try again, it should normally pick up 0.12rc1 now...

I tried again, with the same results:

# easy_install -U Trac
Searching for Trac
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Trac/
Reading http://trac.edgewall.org/
Reading http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Trac/0.11.4

Best match: Trac 0.12multirepos
Processing Trac-0.12multirepos-py2.5.egg
Removing Trac 0.12b1 from easy-install.pth file
Adding Trac 0.12multirepos to easy-install.pth file

Installing trac-admin script to /usr/local/bin
Installing tracd script to /usr/local/bin

Using /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Trac-0.12multirepos-py2.5.egg
Processing dependencies for Trac
Finished processing dependencies for Trac

I did not have Trac 0.12multirepos in easy-install.pth. It was, however,
in my site directory. But not in easy-install.pth

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Roger Oberholtzer

Jun 9, 2010, 2:09:44 AM6/9/10
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 15:24 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 15:01 +0200, Christian Boos wrote:
>
> > Similar issue I suppose. You already had 0.12multirepos in your
> > easy-install.pth (I don't see where else this could come from, it's
> > nowhere referenced in our http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload page).
> > If you try again, it should normally pick up 0.12rc1 now...

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I am still unable to
install 0.12rc1

> I tried again, with the same results:
>
> # easy_install -U Trac
> Searching for Trac
> Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Trac/
> Reading http://trac.edgewall.org/
> Reading http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload
> Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Trac/0.11.4
> Best match: Trac 0.12multirepos
> Processing Trac-0.12multirepos-py2.5.egg
> Removing Trac 0.12b1 from easy-install.pth file
> Adding Trac 0.12multirepos to easy-install.pth file
> Installing trac-admin script to /usr/local/bin
> Installing tracd script to /usr/local/bin
>
> Using /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Trac-0.12multirepos-py2.5.egg
> Processing dependencies for Trac
> Finished processing dependencies for Trac
>

> I did not have Trac 0.12multirepos in easy-install.pth. It was, however,
> in my site directory. But not in easy-install.pth

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Ethan Jucovy

Jun 9, 2010, 10:35:15 AM6/9/10
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger.ob...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 15:24 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 15:01 +0200, Christian Boos wrote:
>
> > Similar issue I suppose. You already had 0.12multirepos in your
> > easy-install.pth (I don't see where else this could come from, it's
> > nowhere referenced in our http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload page).
> > If you try again, it should normally pick up 0.12rc1 now...

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I am still unable to
install 0.12rc1

`easy_install Trac` in a clean environment picks up 0.12rc1 for me.

Can you try `easy_install Trac==0.12rc1`?

> I tried again, with the same results:
>
> # easy_install -U Trac
> Searching for Trac
> Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Trac/
> Reading http://trac.edgewall.org/
> Reading http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload
> Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Trac/0.11.4
> Best match: Trac 0.12multirepos
> Processing Trac-0.12multirepos-py2.5.egg
> Removing Trac 0.12b1 from easy-install.pth file
> Adding Trac 0.12multirepos to easy-install.pth file
> Installing trac-admin script to /usr/local/bin
> Installing tracd script to /usr/local/bin
>
> Using /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Trac-0.12multirepos-py2.5.egg
> Processing dependencies for Trac
> Finished processing dependencies for Trac
>

> I did not have Trac 0.12multirepos in easy-install.pth. It was, however,
> in my site directory. But not in easy-install.pth

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Roger Oberholtzer

Jun 12, 2010, 8:51:52 AM6/12/10
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 10:35 -0400, Ethan Jucovy wrote:
> easy_install Trac==0.12rc1

That did it. Thanks.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST/OPQ

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Roger Oberholtzer

Jun 12, 2010, 8:55:47 AM6/12/10
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 12:55 +0200, Christian Boos wrote:

> Finally, we offer hope that Trac will prove itself useful to like-minded
> programmers around the world, and that this release will prove an
> improvement over the last version.
>
> Please let us know. :-)

I now get this error, which was not on 0.12b1:

Error: Macro
TicketQuery(modified=5weekago;,order=changetime,desc=1,format=table,col=owner|reporter|type|status|summary|changetime) failed
Invalid query constraint value

It seems the ; after 5weeksago is not correct. I have always had it. Is
it intended that it should be gone? I can remove the ;. It is more that
I am curious.

Also, in wiki/TracQuery#UsingtheTicketQueryMacro on my site, the
reference to TicketQuery just after that points to
http://trac.edgewall.org/intertrac/TicketQuery and not to my site. Maybe
because there is no TicketQuery page in my wiki. Has it always been this
way and I just did not notice?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Christian Boos

Jun 12, 2010, 9:47:59 AM6/12/10
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On 6/12/2010 2:55 PM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 12:55 +0200, Christian Boos wrote:
>

>> Finally, we offer hope that Trac will prove itself useful to like-minded
>> programmers around the world, and that this release will prove an
>> improvement over the last version.
>>
>> Please let us know. :-)
>>

> I now get this error, which was not on 0.12b1:
>
> Error: Macro
> TicketQuery(modified=5weekago;,order=changetime,desc=1,format=table,col=owner|reporter|type|status|summary|changetime) failed
> Invalid query constraint value
>
> It seems the ; after 5weeksago is not correct. I have always had it. Is
> it intended that it should be gone? I can remove the ;. It is more that
> I am curious.

Yes, we changed that, as ";" as a separator was problematic in URLs (see
http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/9303).
The http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracQuery#QueryLanguage section
documents this. Don't forget to "wiki upgrade" your environment after
installing a new version of Trac to get the updated help pages!

In the near future, we'll try to come up with a new way to detail the
changes that happened between releases, by adding a custom "changelog"
field to tickets. Maybe we should even use two more fields, user-changes
and api-changes, so we could prepare reports which would target
specifically the Trac users or the plugin developers.

> Also, in wiki/TracQuery#UsingtheTicketQueryMacro on my site, the
> reference to TicketQuery just after that points to
> http://trac.edgewall.org/intertrac/TicketQuery and not to my site. Maybe
> because there is no TicketQuery page in my wiki. Has it always been this
> way and I just did not notice?

Yes, that hasn't changed.

-- Christian